Lone 15" LLT or Dual 12" Sonotubes: chime-in! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 78 Old 04-16-09, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Lone 15" LLT or Dual 12" Sonotubes: chime-in!

Need help with decision to build either lone 15" LLT box or dual 12" sonotubes. Looking at using a CSS SDx15/Acoustic Elegance AV15-x, or dual shiva 12"s. Primarily for deep content on HT as 'resonable' spl levels. Amp would be a Behringer 2500. Finances and space dictate no dual 15"s. The WAF is ok (actually LIKES the cs12 I have now)

I bought an svs cs12 thinking it would be plenty of support as I use a 5.1 system with 80-150w rated in-ceiling/wall speakers with an onkyo 806, and it usually sounds good, but at 1/2 gain I don’t have any of the wall-shaking/window rattling experiences that other people at HTS have posted, not even close.

Can you help me given the space described below?

To start, I have a living room HT upstairs ~16x16x8, that has 3 doorways to adjacent rooms, an open stairway in the front going down that has a landing near the left front of the room, and finally, one 12x8' right side (where a wall would be) that is open to downstairs with only a railing. Downstairs is ~14x35 and one end is open to this upstairs living room area with the HT(~25’ ceiling). After seeing what other posters have in the way of rooms, mine appears to very challenging in producing low reinforcement that they describe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 04-16-09, 02:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Lone 15" LLT or Dual 12" Sonotubes: chime-in!

I don't have access to a modeling program at the moment but I'd say 2 12's will out perform a single 15.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 78 Old 04-16-09, 03:00 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Also, placement will be much more flexible, and potential gains in sound quality because of dual subs.

post #4 of 78 Old 04-16-09, 05:28 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Here is link to an article that discusses in detail the benefits of using multiple subs to help lesson room nodes.

Matt
post #5 of 78 Old 04-16-09, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Thanks for the feedback!

I was afraid that the 12" would not go low enough and maybe needed a 15", but I guess proper tuning will probably afford the low-end range, and the twin drivers will provide the needed headroom currently lacking. On the flip side, the twin drivers will have less distortion at an equal spl, correct?

I saw a post that stated a Behringer component could handle HPFing, but another stated contrary. If one of Behringer's or another will handle it, can someone tell me which one? I'd like to keep # of components to minimum, but a reckhorn or something else could be used- only I'd have to add an EQ component laterd I guess a budget for a combo HPF/EQ of ~$250 would be equally cost effective vs buying two separately, any suggestions?

I'm reading that link on multiple drivers now- thanks Matt.

I guess the question will become which driver? The CSS and Exodus are the standouts in the sub $200/driver price range (my budget), and according to other threads I have read, but perhaps...there...is... another... (yea, I like starwars )
post #6 of 78 Old 04-18-09, 11:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

How about a single 18"?

post #7 of 78 Old 04-18-09, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
How about a single 18"?
Uh, never considered it-should I? Haven't even looked at the needed box displacement. The space(s) I have available are probably not conducive to an 18" and we won't live in the current space for more than a year or two...unless...I could conceive an idea for a closet-based enclosure with a port into the living space I'll have to think on that, and maybe take photos and see if perhaps someone can ingeniously incorporate one
post #8 of 78 Old 04-18-09, 06:06 PM
Shackster
michael

Send a message via MSN to michael hurd

If I am reading right, the HT is located in a bit of a loft that's open to the rest of the house? With the 16 x 16 x 8 dimentions you posted you might have one of a mode that will 'ring'. The dimentions are multiples of one another.

Can you modify the room size at all, and have you run REW to get a feel of what's going on in there?
post #9 of 78 Old 04-18-09, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
michael hurd wrote: View Post
If I am reading right, the HT is located in a bit of a loft that's open to the rest of the house? With the 16 x 16 x 8 dimentions you posted you might have one of a mode that will 'ring'. The dimentions are multiples of one another.

Can you modify the room size at all, and have you run REW to get a feel of what's going on in there?
Yeah, it's like a loft, but I'm not sure what you mean in the second statement. Other than closing the adjacent doors, no adjustment can be made to the room. I do not have a bfd yet. I was hoping to build subs and purchase amp, add some sort of hpf for protection and add eq a little later I can't incorporate a bfd without the other equipment first, correct?
post #10 of 78 Old 04-18-09, 11:49 PM
Shackster
michael

Send a message via MSN to michael hurd

I would spend some time with room eq wizard to measure what you have at the moment, and see what you have for room gain before building subs. With about $ 150 in gear and a PC you already have and RoomEQ wizard you can take a bunch of measurements before you proceed with a subwoofer build. It will also help you identify the best placement for a subwoofer.

It can help you save money in the end, as you may find your sub needs are less than you anticipate. You can use a BFD and set filters manually, but it's easier if you use RoomEq wizard.