7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build - Page 21 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #201 of 305 Old 12-16-09, 03:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: 7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build

Those videos.....is that noise even enjoyable? I just don't get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 305 Old 12-16-09, 11:51 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
I think people around here need to learn that different strokes come for different folks. I too enjoy playing the same material. I drive around listening to Bass I Love You on repeat. I love making woofer vids, lots of them. It is what makes me happy and I'm glad there are others out there as well.

This isn't a jab at you Steve, nothing personal... I've just gotten a lot of negative feedback from this forum which is why you will see me disappear for a week or a month here and there.

Somehow I always come back. I like it here. But sometimes people got to learn we aren't all the same. If we were, there would only be 1 subwoofer, 1 amp, 1 home style... we'd all get the same thing and do the same thing with it.
post #203 of 305 Old 12-16-09, 12:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I don't consider it negative feedback when you were asked to stay on topic in other people's threads. It's what separates this forum from other forums where you'll find pages of off topic posting that have nothing to do with the original subject. You're more then welcome to start any thread you like on the topic of your choosing. Since we had our "chat" you've been stellar. Moving on.

We're all in this together!

post #204 of 305 Old 12-16-09, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

No I haven't been able to take any measurments yet, but yes it was by ear. Although, there wasn't a lot of tactile feeling either. Stuff wasn't rattling around, it was just quiet.

I'll try to get the needed equiptment to do some tests as soon as possible.

Build log:

post #205 of 305 Old 12-16-09, 03:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
No I haven't been able to take any measurments yet, but yes it was by ear. Although, there wasn't a lot of tactile feeling either. Stuff wasn't rattling around, it was just quiet.

I'll try to get the needed equiptment to do some tests as soon as possible.
cool.

I look forward to seeing the measurements. It seems like you have a LOT of output, which is a good thing

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)
post #206 of 305 Old 12-16-09, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:

lol.
I NEVER have the bass turned up louder than the words. I can't stand it when the bass overpowers the words and drowns out everything.
I only have the sub set that loud for the videos. Plus, I don't like taking a possibility in bottoming out the sub, or clipping the amp.
Also, I enjoy music different than BassoTronics stuff. It's not by any means by favorite "band", I listen to many other bands from 80's genre, to hard rock, to some punk stuff. I usually just use the bassotronics stuff to show the bass and how the sub responds to that stuff. Many subwoofers are immensly overpowered by bassotronics stuff, and the users don't even notice it; at least until they see a "real" sub.

Actually, now that I think of it, the bass NEVER overpowered the words and trebble in all of the videos that I have made. Seriously. It may have in one, but it wasn't by much at all.

I totally missed this page when I posted a reply to Drizt.

Build log:

post #207 of 305 Old 12-18-09, 07:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

It's not that I disagree with the musical choices - to each his own - but in those vidoes, the music being played is distorted beyond recognition. The bass is cranked up so much that you can't really hear any other sounds except bass thumps, and the resonances created from the vehicles are almost at the same amplitude as the fundamental from the driver(s). No offense intended, but that's just noise.

post #208 of 305 Old 12-18-09, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
It's not that I disagree with the musical choices - to each his own - but in those vidoes, the music being played is distorted beyond recognition. The bass is cranked up so much that you can't really hear any other sounds except bass thumps, and the resonances created from the vehicles are almost at the same amplitude as the fundamental from the driver(s). No offense intended, but that's just noise.
Haha, ok. If you think that all you can hear is bass, then you should have hear the videos that my old camera took. It was awful.
I'm working on getting the noises out of the Texaco cars, if that's what your talking about...

And in person, I can guarantee that the music is not distorted, the Bose (ugh ;P their alright though...) that I have actually have pretty clear mids and highs... I haven't heard "real" speakers, so to you, they might be slightly distorted.
But as I said...In person, the bass is not overpowering the words. In fact, I have my receiver set at 69 dB's for most of the videos. I can take it to 80 dB which is the max, but then my mains can't make enough bass (to an extent), and the EP2500 starts clipping.

I've even had my dad listen to some music with the receiver maxed out, and he even said that there wasn't enough bass coming from the sub becuase I had to keep it turned down to keep the amp from clipping. My dad ALWAYS has the bass down pretty low, so I was extremely suprised to hear that from him. As long as I keep the receiver at or below 70dB's, the bass is leveled out almost perfectly with the mains.

And, no offense taken.

Build log:

post #209 of 305 Old 12-18-09, 10:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

sub_junkie, I'm not so much referring to your videos, as yours appear to be taken from outside your house looking in, but the videos in the cars.

post #210 of 305 Old 12-18-09, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Oh ok. I thought that you meant my videos that are taken inside the house had the bad distortion haha.
My bad for the mis-understanding.

I don't know if this is the place to ask this or not, but would I see a difference in sound quality if I went from the regular red/white audio outputs to digital optical on my DVD player or PS3?

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 12-19-09 at 01:10 AM.