7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build - Page 29 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #281 of 305 Old 04-16-10, 04:56 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Re: 7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build

Quote:
Now which should I do: 1. Get Anarchy MTM's. Or: 2. Get a SPL meter, and possibly a sound card for REW graphs?
Get an SPL meter for REW!!!

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 305 Old 04-16-10, 05:15 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

Get an spl meter, get a sound card if you don't a good enough one built in and get REW install QUICK!

Do nothing else, do not pass go and do not collect £200. If you know what I mean.

You are really shooting in the dark badly. Do this and you will get some answers. Don't do it and you won't and you will be guessing all your life. Sorry matey but this is what needs doing.

Its great that winisd gives you most of the information you need to build your own sub but whe it comes to the real world that's where REW takes over and helps you do the rest.

Do this and you will be rewarded. Don't and you won't.

cheers

Graham
post #283 of 305 Old 04-16-10, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Dylan,

Get an spl meter, get a sound card if you don't a good enough one built in and get REW install QUICK!

Do nothing else, do not pass go and do not collect £200. If you know what I mean.

You are really shooting in the dark badly. Do this and you will get some answers. Don't do it and you won't and you will be guessing all your life. Sorry matey but this is what needs doing.

Its great that winisd gives you most of the information you need to build your own sub but whe it comes to the real world that's where REW takes over and helps you do the rest.

Do this and you will be rewarded. Don't and you won't.

cheers

Graham
Quote:
mdrake wrote: View Post
Get an SPL meter for REW!!!

Matt

Alright.....SPL meter it is...
Now that I think about it, I don't know if my parents will let me get a sound card if I need one. They might not see the nead for me to post graphs.

Graham, what sound card are you using? The Turtle Beach one, but which one? Is it for a laptop, or desktop?

Build log:

post #284 of 305 Old 04-17-10, 02:23 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

Its this one.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...-srm/home.aspx

Cost me about £50 and works with windows 32 and 64 bit. Its purely a usb soundcard so it can connect to a laptop or tower. Its great, just install the CD and away you go. You will need to install the new drivers if you are using 64 bit windows but if you are using an old PC then you should fine. It supports optical too which means it works with dolby digital 5.1.

I watch all my films through it and it sound great mate. If you need any further help let me know.

cheers

Graham
post #285 of 305 Old 04-22-10, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

My ground loop issue is back! Its not noticable if I have the MIC2200's ouput knob set to 0dB, but if I turn it up any more than that, its is easily heard if nothing is playing.
I've tried disconnecting everything in my room. And by everything, I mean everything. The only things I had plugged in/connected were the MIC2200, and the EP2500. Everything else was disconnected from the wall. I tried disconnecting the cable for TV from the wall, but that didn't have any effect on the volume of the noise. I tried disconnecting the cables from the AntiMode and turning it off, but that didn't help either. As long as the MIC2200 is on, the ground noise is present. Is that expected to happen with its output gain set to max, and the EP2500's gain set to max? I never listen to anything with these settings; I just set it to that to see if the ground loop would be amplified or reduced any with each thing I tried.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Build log:

post #286 of 305 Old 04-22-10, 04:03 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

I have disconnected my BFD for that reason and luckily it sounds much better. A flat response is good but pretty dull compared to what I have now. I un plugged my BFD from my tacima conditioner and into a normal extension lead and the noise was worse.

Its a real pain but I hope you get it sorted soon.

cheers

Graham
post #287 of 305 Old 04-22-10, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Dylan,

I have disconnected my BFD for that reason and luckily it sounds much better. A flat response is good but pretty dull compared to what I have now. I un plugged my BFD from my tacima conditioner and into a normal extension lead and the noise was worse.

Its a real pain but I hope you get it sorted soon.

cheers

Graham

I noticed that if I unplud the RCA cable going from the AntiMode to the MIC2200, the noise get much worse. But, the noise isn't any worse than normal if I have the AntiMode turned off. I tried plugging the EP2500 into an extension cord that was plugged into another wall socket, but that didn't seem to make a difference. The cord I tried didn't allow the ground prong to be plugged in though.

I think when I connected the MIC2200 into that extension cord that was connected to a different outlet than the amp, that the noise was much worse also. Strange how that works.

Before, my ground loop issue was resolved by disconnecting my cable from the wall. But that isn't doing anything now strangly. I can't hear any reduction or gain in the ground noise. My family just switched to Direct TV and I got it in my room to, so could that maybe have something to do with the issue still hanging around even if the cable isn't plugged into the wall? I don't see how it could influence anything if the noise was still there with nothing plugged into the walls except for the amp and pre-amp. I even unplugged and disconnected the AntiMode.

Build log:

post #288 of 305 Old 04-22-10, 03:57 PM
Shackster
Dan

Connect the shield to the AVR phono or AM antenna ground.

Do not use these, or any 1/4" TS connector:

How bad is it if you connect it all to one surge strip?
Is it better or worse without the antimode?
post #289 of 305 Old 04-22-10, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
NEO Dan wrote: View Post
Connect the shield to the AVR phono or AM antenna ground.

Do not use these, or any 1/4" TS connector:

How bad is it if you connect it all to one surge strip?
Is it better or worse without the antimode?

Does the AM antenna ground have to be connected to the receiver when its connected to the shield prong? If I wanted to connect it to the receiver phono, would I need to put a RCA cable end onto the shield wire that way I could plug it into the phono jack?

The noise is the quietest when everything is connected to the surge strip.
When I seperate the difference devices, the noise gets slightly worse. If I connect the MIC2200 to an extension cord that is seperate from the EP2500, the noise gets considerable louder. When the AntiMode was seperated, the noise didn't seem any worse.

I have an extra RCA to XLR cable, so I will definitely be trying those things.

Build log:

post #290 of 305 Old 04-23-10, 02:31 PM
Shackster
Dan

What AVR are you using?