7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 305 Old 08-24-09, 07:28 AM
Shackster
Jukka

Re: 7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
I can't wait until I get the EP2500. According to WinISD, I will pick up around 30db everywhere. Should be much better... Can't imagine it then
Erm, More like 9dB - 10dB when moved from 150W --> maximum of 1800W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 305 Old 08-24-09, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Quote:
Jugix wrote: View Post
Not to be a nitpick but the EP2500 delivers >2000W with extremely low distorsion in 4ohm bridged, more power than that and the distorsion picks up. Not noticable in the bass regions though, IMO.

post #33 of 305 Old 08-24-09, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Jugix wrote: View Post
You have to rememer that my 150w amp has a HPF set aroud 35hz and could possibly be third order instead or second order.
Also, according to my graphing, I will have to take back the 30db's more. It is more like 15-25 db's more in the EP2500 bridged mono mode. It's about 15db more at 40hz, almost 20db at 20hz, and 25db's more at 10hz. So it's close to what I said, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 08-24-09 at 03:21 PM.

post #34 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 11:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Dylan, although you don't have a proper amp yet, I'm just curious if you have tried blocking the port to see if you get the "tighter bass" that you're after.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #35 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I have plugged the port with a beach towel (lol), and heard little difference on some songs.
I was, however, able to tell a bigger difference on songs with low bass around 10-30hz. It gave it a little tighter bass, but at the sacrifice of clipping the amp due to turning it up more .
I am making sure that I don't clip the amp, but it happens occasionally. I'm not interested in damaging my new sub at all.
My dad was saying that he thinks I should start off with a 500w amp first. The cheapest one I could find was the BASH 500w amp from PE. Just in case I can't get the EP2500, which 500w or so amp would you recommend?
post #36 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 02:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Green is the P.E. Bash amp with the default 30 hz HPF.

Pink is the P.E. Bash amp with the HPF changed to 13.9 hz.

Orange is the O-Audio Bash amp with the HPF set at 20 hz and the boost that comes with it.

7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build-dylan.jpg

post #37 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

So it looks like the BASH is the way to go. I will hopefully still be able to get the EP2500 though. Hopefully soldering on the correct capacitor won't be too hard to do, but I'm pretty good with soldering
post #38 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I have something modeled a little different. Maybe you just had either the box size or the tuning off? Just wanted to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong.

Red is 500w with a HPF at 13.9hz
Silver is the 2000w with a HPF at 15hz.

Is mine basically the same, just I have different spread sheet for WinISD?
post #39 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 03:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The 13.9 hz HPF is also with 1 db of boost at 22 hz with a filter Q of 1.0. My SPL range is 70 -125. Your build thread says 7.6 - 7.8 cu.ft, I modeled with 7.7 cu.ft. with the port dimensions you stated which ended up being 14.66 hz.

post #40 of 305 Old 08-25-09, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Oh, ok. I forgot to add the boost. Thanks for pointing that out. I had just estimated there that the port was tuned to 14.75hz on that post. I got lazy
I will try adding the boost and see what it comes out to. Thanks for the help again Mike. Hopefully I can still get the EP2500 though. Would I be able to boost the bottom end with the Reckhorn B-1? Or do I not need to? I probably don't need to, but I was just wondering.

Thanks for the help