7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 305 Old 09-18-09, 08:17 AM
Senior Shackster

dradius

Re: 7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build

Good move. You'll love the amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 305 Old 09-22-09, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Got the amp and hooked it all up. All I can say it WOW. What a difference. My family had some Aunts and Uncle's in from out of town, and they can feel it in the living room over 30 feet away, and my room is surrounded by two other rooms.
I haven't had it turned up too far yet though My mom doesn't like it, and the pictures on the wall next to the sub are going crazy. Now I have plenty of head room
I doubt I would even need a HPF with the levels I'm listening to it at, but I'm not going to take a chance with that.

I only have one problem though. When my MIC220 is connected to the EP2500, there is a hum coming from the sub. The hum goes away if just the EP is connected, but is there if the MIC is connected also. When I turn the gain down on the EP2500, the hum is gone. Same thing happens if I turn dow the Output settings on the MIC2200. I called Behringer, and a tech person recommended getting a power conditioner. He also recommended getting new cables if that didn't fix the hum.
I have noticed that the bass seems much tighter now. With the 150w amp, it seemed sluggish, but that is fixed now.
The only thing is I can't keep the amp but for 5 or 6 days as it is an early Christmas gift. Oh well.
Hopefully, everyone in the house will leave so I can crank the volume

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 09-22-09 at 05:02 PM.
post #53 of 305 Old 09-24-09, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Sorry for another double post.
I was able to clip my EP2500 while playing Bass I Love You by BassoTronics, and while playing Gangbangin 101 by Snoop Dogg. I have my mains and surrounds set at 0dB on my receiver, and the sub channel clips if it is a 0dB. If I turn it down to -1dB, then it's all good. I have the gain all the way up on the EP2500. On my MIC2200, the HPF setting is 2 clicks up from being on 12hz, so I'm assuming this is maybe around 16-18hz HPF? I have the EQ turned down to 0dB (straight up and down) and the octave bandwidth between 0.7 and 1.2. The output is set in the middle of 0 and +8dB.

It sound so good...

Build log:

post #54 of 305 Old 09-24-09, 08:43 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Gangbangin 101 by Snoop Dogg.
sheesh

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
It sound so good...
I wish I saw that more often. Isn't it great to hear that about a build log?
post #55 of 305 Old 09-25-09, 06:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I can imagine what Bass I Love You sounds like, Kinda shakes the walls eh?

We're all in this together!

post #56 of 305 Old 09-25-09, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
sheesh

I wish I saw that more often. Isn't it great to hear that about a build log?
I don't listen to any rap, but I just heard it on the radio, and it hit pretty hard, so I cranked it up

Mike,

The 11hz tone on Bass I Love You is insane.
It shakes pictures in my parents' bedroom over 30 feet away, and it is blocked from my room by two other rooms. I tried to get a video if it, but I set the house alarm off
Scared the you know what out of me. Shortly before that, my mom asked me to turn it down, but I didn't get to it in time
Here's a video I made of it with it not even at half power

Man... this puts movie theaters to shame big time now

I have an idea...

Spoiler
I wonder if it's time to build a second one??? haha jk. My parents wouldn't let me...

Build log:

post #57 of 305 Old 09-25-09, 12:32 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

What's wrong with rap? Especially to show your bass chops!

I used to use Dangerous by Busta Rhymes to show off my system's bass a long time ago. Someone who had a very expensive car audio system who plays jazz and classic rock 90% of the time used Le Tigre's "We like the cars that go boom" to show how well his subs performed and it was impressive.

Nice clip Sub_Junkie, careful with the levels though so you don't knock things to the ground or your sub might find it's way to the garage
post #58 of 305 Old 09-25-09, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I use some rap somgs to show the bass also. I just don't listen to it usually. A good rap bass test is that Snoop Dogg song. I also think Gripping The Grain Chopped and Screwed is pretty good. True low bass testers are Opus Dei, The Bass Will Destroy You and Bass I Love You by BassoTronics, and Bach's Toccata and Fugue

What songs do you HT guys use to show off low bass?

Build log:

post #59 of 305 Old 09-25-09, 04:44 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Movies.....hmmmmm

Live Free or Die Hard Blu-ray is a great demo in a lot of places but the best is the Jet vs Semi scene. This scene can get really crazy and I actually did some cosmetic damage to one of my woofers.

War of the Worlds is a classic bass demo scene were the pods come out of the ground.

The Haunting DTS DVD is always a treat that I demoed again after a few years just recently. I hope this comes to Blu-ray soon.

Master and Commander and U571 are 2 that comes to mind as well.

Shoot em up Blu-ray has some good scenes.

I have various Blu-ray's, CD's and SACD's I use when I am listening to a new sub as I am familiar with the bass. Ironically since I defended rap none of these tracks I use for evaluation have any rap.
LF or DH is always used as well as a small section from Shoot em Up and sometimes Roy Orbison Black and White night on Blu-ray. I use various jazz music to see if the bass is correct. I also use some various DTS-HD MA and TrueHD demo discs from time to time.
I just use these as I am very familiar with these tracks so I can quickly identify is something is wrong. LF or DH I have learned to be careful with though as I tried it with a single sub with an aluminum cone and went a bit too far and dented the cone.......

There are a bunch of others but that is just what came to mind.
post #60 of 305 Old 09-25-09, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Wow. How did it dent the cone?

Thanks for the movie suggestions. I will have to check them out now

Build log: