7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 305 Old 09-26-09, 07:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: 7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build

Nope. Did you get your hum problem solved?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 305 Old 09-26-09, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Ok, thanks.
Not yet. I'm going to try to pick up a power conditioner sometime next week. Hopefully that will solve it.

Build log:

post #73 of 305 Old 09-27-09, 08:06 PM
Shackster
Dan

Generally there two really common causes of hum with this setup:
  • Cable TV that causes hum because of bad ground.
  • Good old ground loop from being on a different circuit.
  • Bad signal cable setup between the AVR and MIC2200, the 1/4" mono to RCA adapter, or anything that shorts the ring to sleeve or XLR pins 1&3 makes it easier to get noise.
You should try to fix any grounding issue if at all possible.

Un-hook any cable feed and or HDMI to your AVR to see if the hum goes away.
Trying a power strip with CATV Coax "filtering" will also tell you if your cable feed is improperly grounded. If that works your cable feed has a bad ground most likely.

Run a nice heavy ground between the AVR and EP2500 if you've got a ground loop. But if that fixes it you should also look at having the electrical system in the house fixed because that's the real source of the problem.

You should always run balanced cable between the MIC2200 and EP2500. A Mic cable is the same as a balanced patch cable, both work correctly. This is not a fix for a ground loop but the correct way to connect the two.

If you are using a RCA adapter between the AVR and MIC2200, customize the cable with a balanced XLR on the MIC2200 end like so:

DO NOT connect the shield to signal - anywhere.

post #74 of 305 Old 09-27-09, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Here's the cables that I bought:

The cable going from the MIC2200 to the EP2500

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=158365&is=REG

The cable from my receiver to the MIC2200

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=133652&is=REG

The Behringer Tech had me dicsonnect the RCA cable going to the MIC2200, and the noise was still there. As soon as I turn off the MIC2200, and keept the EP2500 on, the noise goes away. He said that the hum issue could be from my cables, or needing a power conditioner. He also had me try a different outlet in my room, and the noise was still there.

Thanks for the help NEO. Is there any easy way to get a 14hz HPF or very close to it without using REW?

Build log:

post #75 of 305 Old 09-28-09, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

After listening more at high volumes, it appears the the driver is actually reaching or very close to its Xmax. There is definiely distorion; the MIC2200 is at 0dB at the max, and I have the gain on the EP2500 all the way up. The Output knob on the 2200 is at 0dB. I had my receiver at 65dB, the mains and surronds turned down to -10dB, and the Sub channel was set at +6dB. This is happening while listening to songs like Down 4 Tha Krown by Kottonmouth Kings, Throw It Up (Chopped and Screwed). The driver sound like it is bottoming out on the tones in Bass I Love You, except for the 6hz and 11hz tones suprisingly. So, it sounds like its hitting its limits on the 30hz and up tones. It shouldn't be doing that, right?
I also found a small cracked piece of drywall in the corner of the sub.
It's very hard to see. I had to be very close the the corner of the wall to see it.

I found something very wrong with my computer...

That can't be good haha. I don't look at anything bad on my computer. (seriously)

Build log:

post #76 of 305 Old 09-28-09, 01:30 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
I also found a small cracked piece of drywall in the corner of the sub.
Only a TRUE bass junkie would be happy about cracked drywall............Nice job
post #77 of 305 Old 09-28-09, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I'm not necessarily happy about it, I just find it funny. I gotta get a SPL meter and see what the dB's are in my closet on the supposed 6hz and 11hz tone of Bass I Love You and the 16hz on The Bass Will Destroy You. It almost feels like your eardrums are going to explode. For some reason, the very low frequencies are magnified in there... It's awesome.

Build log:

post #78 of 305 Old 09-28-09, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

What would it change if I turned off the Clip Limiter on the Dip switches on the EP2500?

Build log:

post #79 of 305 Old 09-28-09, 11:03 PM
Shackster
Dan

Did you disconnect the RCA to XLR cable from the MIC2200 or the AVR?
I'd recommend disconnecting the XLR end of the cable from the MIC2200, if the noise goes away that means the RCA to XLR cable is shorting pins 1 & 3 as I warned you above.
post #80 of 305 Old 09-28-09, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I had disonnected the Sub out RCA cable from the RCA to XLR cable going to the MIC2200, but I haven't disconnected the RCA to XLR cable from the 2200.

I just disconnected the Sub out RCA from the one going to the 2200, and the noise changed. I disconnected the input cable from the 2200, and the noise was gone. That means I have a bad RCA to XLR cable, right?

Thanks for solving my problem

Build log: