7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 305 Old 09-29-09, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: 7.6 cu.ft Maelstrom- X 18" build

I just called B&H Photo, and they are sending me a new cable for no charge. It's the same one, so hopefully that will solve the problem, and that the problem doesn't lie in the way the cord is made itself.
My 150w plate amp would put out less watts is 4ohm rather than 8ohm, correct?

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 305 Old 09-29-09, 10:02 PM
Shackster
Dan

I'd be surprised if the new cable were any different than the one you already have. But hey, at least they were nice enough to ship you out one for free. Brownie points for good customer service. You can re-terminate the cable and fix the problem if you can solder. If you can't solder I can make you a cable, but that's not free Out of curiosity what AVR are you using in your setup?
post #83 of 305 Old 09-29-09, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I can solder if needed Sometimes it's not the neatest job, but it definitely works. Thanks for the offer too

I'm using a cheap Insignia 500w 5.1 channel receiver. I'm looking to upgrade it down the line, but it migh be a while. My dad thinks that now that I upgraded the sub I don't need to do anything else.
But, I have to do what he says, so it might be the end of upgrading for a while. But, there is always birthday's and Christmas'... haha

So you think that the problem lies in the cable not having the correct grounding (I guess, if you want to call it that...cause I don't know)

Build log:

Last edited by sub_junkie; 09-30-09 at 12:17 PM.

post #84 of 305 Old 10-01-09, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Could the bad cable somehow be the cause of the sub reaching its Xmax while listening to a few rap songs? The surround looks like the Anarchy woofer when near its peak.

Build log:

post #85 of 305 Old 10-01-09, 07:14 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Could the bad cable somehow be the cause of the sub reaching its Xmax while listening to a few rap songs? The surround looks like the Anarchy woofer when near its peak.
I think it would be a good idea for you to sit and watch while playing various things for a while so you get a good idea of how much output you get and where your excursion is at doing so. maybe some sweeps too to get an idea on frequency:excursion. Once you get a good image in your head, you'll have an idea just from output and sound to know when you might be nearing limits.
post #86 of 305 Old 10-01-09, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

That's what I have been doing. Whenever I hook up a new amp to something like my old subs, I would watch it, see wha it was doing at whatever volume, and try to remember that that is all I could get out of it. Either way, the Mal-X should be able to overpower my front speakers when they are set a -7 to -10dB and the volume on the receiver is at 70dB, right? Could it just be near its Xmax due to the MIC2200 boosting the pre-out voltage so much? My receiver's sub channel is set at 0-+5dB, and the 2200 is usually set at the same, and the gain is all of the way up on the EP2500.

Either way, I'm extremely happy with my new sub

Build log:

post #87 of 305 Old 10-01-09, 08:28 PM
Banned!
Ryan

what I have learned from experience is ignore settings. it is all about what is actually happening. wattage. clipping. frequency.

"so and so had his deck only 1/4 the way up and his gains only 1/2 and it was so loud! I can't wait till he turns the gain all the way up and turns his deck all the way up! It will be so amazing it will blow his windows out and you will hear it 2 miles away!"

settings don't mean much. the RMS your sub is getting is what matters, and at what frequencies. I'll bet you could give it full power from 60Hz on up in bursts with no worries. Try playing full power 20-30Hz above tuning or, I don't remember what you got going on for SSF, but 10Hz below tuning.... all of that stuff means much more. (EDIT don't actually do that! lol. I guess if you're careful, you can try it while watching it but start the volume low and see how high you can turn it before it really starts moving along... will learn a lot)

My first big mistake once I started properly porting, was I didn't realize that when I tuned below 20Hz, excursion becomes a problem in the 30s.... I didn't realize the port stopped helping with excursion above tuning. That was a long time ago. I've learned from my mistakes, and I still am. Hmmm... I wonder what I'm gonna break next.... hahahaha

Last edited by Ryan Anderson; 10-01-09 at 08:46 PM.
post #88 of 305 Old 10-03-09, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
what I have learned from experience is ignore settings. it is all about what is actually happening. wattage. clipping. frequency.

"so and so had his deck only 1/4 the way up and his gains only 1/2 and it was so loud! I can't wait till he turns the gain all the way up and turns his deck all the way up! It will be so amazing it will blow his windows out and you will hear it 2 miles away!"
settings don't mean much. the RMS your sub is getting is what matters, and at what frequencies. I'll bet you could give it full power from 60Hz on up in bursts with no worries. Try playing full power 20-30Hz above tuning or, I don't remember what you got going on for SSF, but 10Hz below tuning.... all of that stuff means much more. (EDIT don't actually do that! lol. I guess if you're careful, you can try it while watching it but start the volume low and see how high you can turn it before it really starts moving along... will learn a lot)

My first big mistake once I started properly porting, was I didn't realize that when I tuned below 20Hz, excursion becomes a problem in the 30s.... I didn't realize the port stopped helping with excursion above tuning. That was a long time ago. I've learned from my mistakes, and I still am. Hmmm... I wonder what I'm gonna break next.... hahahaha
That almost sounds like what my dad said when I told him I wanted to order an 18"

Well, what is kinda weird is while listening to Bass I Love You by BassoTronics, the sub is nearing its Xmax (or what is looks like to me) on the most of the other higher tones besided the 6hz and the 11hz tones. It looks like that on the 30-40hz tones. I will try to take a video of it playing Bass I Love You, Throw It Up Chopped And Screwed, and see if you guys can tell me if it is nearing its Xmax or if its just distortion from other things, etc... But, I know it's hard to tell what stuff is doing when its not in person, but maybe someone can give me a guideline or something, possibly.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Build log:

post #89 of 305 Old 10-05-09, 08:37 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Well, what is kinda weird is while listening to Bass I Love You by BassoTronics, the sub is nearing its Xmax (or what is looks like to me) on the most of the other higher tones besided the 6hz and the 11hz tones. It looks like that on the 30-40hz tones.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
well let me elaborate on my story. The first time I actually designed a ported box using software ( for years and years up until then I dropped ports in boxes and called it good, cut them shorter, made them longer...just played) I tuned to 19Hz and used it in-home off my PC before trying it in the car. At that time, I thought I could set my power (volume) by playing at the tuning frequency and bringing it to the highest excursion I felt was safe, set my sub sonic filter just below that, and I wouldn't have to worry above that. I bottomed the driver playing with test tones because I didn't realize the port doesnt help with excursion very much as you get further away from tuning... I thought since excursion gets so much smaller from playing 20Hz to 40Hz in a sealed enclosure, that I would be safe from 20Hz on up.

Not true! The port helped from say 17Hz to 25Hz, then not so much... so when I got up to 33-36 I am guessing, excursion was back up.

I now know.

So, in your case, you're tuned even lower... so you get even less port help up "high" in the 30-40Hz range. Have you messed with plotting software yet to help visualize everything?
post #90 of 305 Old 10-05-09, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Yes, I modeled quite a few things in WinISD. I found out that I would need to run a minumum of 3100w to make it reach its Xmax at 24.40hz. To reach it at 30hz, I would need 3600w. 40hz would need 6500w. All of these are asuming at 10hz HPF. Now, I know that the EP2500 can't put out anythig near those numbers, unless the EQ is jacking it up. I checked that in WinISD, and with running 1950w, the Xmax was at 37mm at 21hz. Anything above 27.48hz is in check with the Xmax. That is atill running at 10hz HPF.

There's no way that this problem can't be associated with my bad cable, right?

Thanks again for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Build log: