Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 189 Old 10-28-09, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

FYI the graph I posted above is not representing maximum output in any way. It is just a FR comparison graph of the 2 cabs in the same room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 189 Old 10-28-09, 06:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

This looks very interisting. What kind of drivers are determined to be used in a horn enclosure?

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 189 Old 10-28-09, 09:09 PM
myn
Senior Shackster
myn

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
This looks very interisting. What kind of drivers are determined to be used in a horn enclosure?
Danley modified Eminence Lab12s for a start. Danley will also be publishing a list of "workable" drivers for use in this DTS-10. FWIW, I'd stay with the LABs. Cheap, available and provable.

post #14 of 189 Old 10-29-09, 11:50 AM
Senior Shackster

brandon

Couple things to keep everyone updated... Tom danley and Ivan Beaver just let us know that they have already sold out of drivers for this. Apparently it was a bigger hit than anticipated combined with a large last minute installation that required the same drivers the dts10 uses. Good news is they are getting a shipment in of drivers in about 4 or 5 weeks so yes a wait but not a huge wait.

A bit of slightly bad news is that the original lab12 driver does not look like it will work. The motor involved in that driver is not quite strong enough to work with this enclosure. There will still be a list of drivers that are suitable, but as this isn't an extreme priority the eta on that list is unknown.

Still hoping ricci and me will get our kits in the next few days to help people receiving the kit assemble it properly and help with any questions along the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #15 of 189 Old 10-29-09, 11:54 AM
Kevin

Quote:
brandonnash wrote: View Post
Couple things to keep everyone updated... Tom danley and Ivan Beaver just let us know that they have already sold out of drivers for this. Apparently it was a bigger hit than anticipated combined with a large last minute installation that required the same drivers the dts10 uses. Good news is they are getting a shipment in of drivers in about 4 or 5 weeks so yes a wait but not a huge wait.

A bit of slightly bad news is that the original lab12 driver does not look like it will work. The motor involved in that driver is not quite strong enough to work with this enclosure. There will still be a list of drivers that are suitable, but as this isn't an extreme priority the eta on that list is unknown.

Still hoping ricci and me will get our kits in the next few days to help people receiving the kit assemble it properly and help with any questions along the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Get me a set of parameters and I'll do an XBL^2 version of the driver with some massive stroke.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #16 of 189 Old 10-29-09, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Ummm...Kevin that would be the (insert expletive here)!

I haven't even built or heard the thing yet, but I'm already wondering about alternate drivers, as I like to have the most powerful drivers available for a given application. The modified 12" driver that DSL uses does have the standard 12spoke frame I believe, so a Shiva frame would mount right on up to it. BUT we need to have the driver possess the right characteristics which the Shiva X may not in stock form. The driver they are using is a very solid driver, but something like a modded Shiva would obviously have more stroke for the 11-30hz area. Tom himself would be the guy who has the knowledge to determine what the "ideal" specs would be. Otherwise it would largely be guesswork right now by people less talented as the exact dimensions/angles and lay-out of the enclosure are unknown and DSL isn't likely to release them soon.

I tell you what. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send something to Tom about it with you in the loop so you guys can maybe open up a dialogue about it.
post #17 of 189 Old 10-29-09, 01:45 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

Hey Josh, I forwarded you a message. Kevin, I had sent something to Tom a few minutes ago. We'll see what he says.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 189 Old 10-30-09, 04:02 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
Get me a set of parameters and I'll do an XBL^2 version of the driver with some massive stroke.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
exciting. maybe instead of trying to cram 4-21's in a van, I should cram as many SPUDS with these drivers instead
post #19 of 189 Old 10-30-09, 10:55 PM
myn
Senior Shackster
myn

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

Unlike traditional alignments, horns don't rely so heavily on XMAX. Infact, using high XMAX drivers in a horn will lead to "throat overload". The pressure inside the horn path gets to a point where a negative pressure wave creates a vacuum effect causing turbulence and compression within the horn ultimately resulting in distortion.

The original Adire Tempest (Manufactured by Eminence) was a popular horn driver. How close are the original's t/s to the new Tempest-X?
post #20 of 189 Old 10-31-09, 01:56 AM
Shackster

ec

Quote:
myn wrote: View Post
Unlike traditional alignments, horns don't rely so heavily on XMAX. Infact, using high XMAX drivers in a horn will lead to "throat overload". The pressure inside the horn path gets to a point where a negative pressure wave creates a vacuum effect causing turbulence and compression within the horn ultimately resulting in distortion.
True, at frequencies where the horn is really "in effect." However, these guys are talking about wanting the high-xmax drivers specifically for lower frequencies, when the loading at the throat is decreasing...