Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 189 Old 11-05-09, 07:03 PM
Shackster
Justin

Re: Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

more pics please. im thinking about purchasing one of these also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 189 Old 11-05-09, 07:43 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

When will these kits be available and if they already are can someone post a link to it?
post #33 of 189 Old 11-05-09, 09:30 PM
Shackster
Maq

Quote:
jreaves1637 wrote: View Post
Does this sub play loud, low and provide any punchy bass?
Brandon already answered the first two, but the third answer is very likely to be 'No'.

'Punchy' bass is something mostly defined in the upper frequency bass region. This sub does not seem to be usable much above 100Hz (based on the limited graphs and similar TH designs). If you want punchy bass then you'll need a sub with a higher frequency pass-band or you need mains with substantial capability in the 80-300Hz range.

post #34 of 189 Old 11-05-09, 09:41 PM
Shackster
Maq

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
When will these kits be available and if they already are can someone post a link to it?
Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Wow! How much does it weigh?
Based on info posted over on the main thread (AVS):

1. $975 + shipping
2. 325 lbs shipping plus drivers
3. Kit available for order now, will ship in 2-4 weeks.
post #35 of 189 Old 11-05-09, 10:48 PM
Banned!
Ryan

is punchy simply good high end responce, or, is it colored having more responce in the upper bass than the input signal?
post #36 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 07:33 AM
Shackster
Justin

so would I be better keeping the 2 15's with 2600wrms power and get a box made just for the punchy bass and call it a day? I know when I called Danley sound labs they said I could easily replace these two 15's with this box (in terms of output) The guy I talked to said he heard this sub in a room about 4000cu ft i think he said and it was teeth shattering with the amount of bass from this sub. I am used to more pro audio and like the punchiness bass from like the kick and don't want just a bunch of sloppy goo from my subs. Im not saying these subs I have are like that because I haven't hooked them up yet as I am trying to finish my room. This stuff is addicting and I can never make up my mind
post #37 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 09:36 AM
Senior Shackster

brandon

I'm not sure where "not punchy" is coming from. This thing is at it's most sensitive range at 100 hz (110 db 1 watt measured outdoors at 1 meter). I will say that this is a subwoofer meant and thought of originally for home theater use. Due to a limitation on my receiver (older pioneer) The lowest on the crossover I can do is 100 hz. I've heard the TH50 with an 80 hz crossover and that seems to be the optimal crossover point. I'll agree with Marstedt and say that if you want really good punchy bass with this sub crossed over in the more home theater oriented 80-100 hz you should get some more capable mains. After assembly I believe better main speakers may become my focus. Haven't decided yet.

Jreaves, This sub will absolutely outpower 2-15's of just about any sort. At my subwoofer meet back in april the most powerful DIY sub we had there was Ricci's RE XXX 18" in a large sealed box. With a lot of power going to it I believe it was in the lower 120's going nearly full out. The TH50 was barely chugging along at 128-129. The reason I keep going back to the TH50 is because the DTS10 was designed to do what the TH50 does and get lower too. Here's what Mike Heddon said after getting back from Show East (commercial movie theater trade show)

"As a quick post, we played the latest Transformers almost continuously at Show East. Our demo room was many times larger than any HT discussed on this forum. The DTS10 held its own just fine and remember we had the TH221 sitting there as well! The TH221 wins hands down in a maximum output but you are dealing with a sensitivity of [email protected] and power handling of 3000 watts RMS!! I also had the TH50 and there is no question the DTS10 does everything it does but goes substantially lower. At one point I played a 15Hz sine wave through the systems and switched between the three subs. The TH50 didn't even come close to reproducing it and both the DTS10 and TH221 easily reproduced it. Fact is you couldn't really tell between the TH221 and the DTS10 @ 15Hz.
Show East is the commercial cinema show with huge movie studio participation and while I know most of these commercial rooms can't hold a candle to a serious HT, many that I spoke with are very much aware of the need for improving the audio experience as well as the HD video side. Most of the projectors being demo'd cost more than most folks homes! Danley Sound Labs' demo created a serious buzz at the show and I have no doubt we will be going into several cinemas around the world.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc."

For those of you who haven't heard of the TH221, it's a massive 2x21" tapped horn that accepts a ton of power and can, by itself (ONLY 1 TH221), run an entire IMAX theater.
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/T...ec%20sheet.pdf

I've opened up the box to take a look and take out some of the packing materials to try and get a better idea of what I'm getting into. After just receiving an e-mail from Tom Danley a few minutes ago I think I will start the build today before the drivers come in. That way the glue and everything will dry correctly before blasting this thing with high pressures from low frequencies
post #38 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 09:38 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
marstedt wrote: View Post
Based on info posted over on the main thread (AVS):

1. $975 + shipping
2. 325 lbs shipping plus drivers
3. Kit available for order now, will ship in 2-4 weeks.
Great, Thanks.
post #39 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 09:41 AM
Shackster
Jukka

Quote:
jreaves1637 wrote: View Post
so would I be better keeping the 2 15's with 2600wrms power and get a box made just for the punchy bass and call it a day?
If you are making a mid-woofer then most probably Danleys Sub-woofer is not something you are looking for.

Mid woofers with punchy bass are quite the different from subwoofers with massive output.
post #40 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 09:44 AM
Shackster
Justin

I know from talking with danley sound labs this dts 10 would be capable of like 120's to 130's if I recall correctly. Definitely keep me posted on this build and how it sounds b/c I am seriously thinking of buying one myself.