Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 11:29 AM
Shackster
Justin

Re: Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

not hearing my own to a7-350's subs each cab has 15" sub and 1300w amp. I would assume they have great output (they are ported). would it be better you think to keep these and go with a mid woofer setup for just midbass punch? I know I have tried to sale my a7-350's and haven't had any bites yet. Although this sub dts10 is tempting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 12:46 PM
Shackster
Justin

Quote:
jreaves1637 wrote: View Post
not hearing my own to a7-350's subs each cab has 15" sub and 1300w amp. I would assume they have great output (they are ported). would it be better you think to keep these and go with a mid woofer setup for just midbass punch? I know I have tried to sale my a7-350's and haven't had any bites yet. Although this sub dts10 is tempting
if your thinking why hasn't he heard his own, the reason is Im still working on my theater and bought the subs before I finished.
post #43 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 01:24 PM
Shackster
Maq

Quote:
not hearing my own to a7-350's subs each cab has 15" sub and 1300w amp. I would assume they have great output (they are ported). would it be better you think to keep these and go with a mid woofer setup for just midbass punch?
I would keep the 15" ported subs for the upper bass range and get a DTS-10 to reinforce the bottom 2-3 octaves. You want to high-pass the 15"s to keep them from unloading on the bottom end anyways. A direct-radiator 15" should be good for 'punch' unless it has a super-long xmax (and low efficiency to go with it).

If the 15"s are long-throw / low-efficiency then it might be better to get something with more range like an Eminence 3015 / 3015LF. You could also reduce the low-frequency excursion of the boxes you have by plugging the ports.

post #44 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 04:04 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I talked to Scott today at Danley and he said the wait time on these kit's is about 1 to 2 weeks. I am ripping myself apart trying to decide whether or not to order one of these. The kit doesn't come with hardware so that will have to be addressed. He also said that this sub can be used as a riser or platform for a chair which means it must be very sturdy. He said this kit will probably only be available until christmas so I need to make up my mind soon. I will see what happens with Brandonash and get his thoughts after he get's his built. With shipping to me it will come to about $1200 so not bad to be able to own a Danley. $975 for the kit, $59 for packaging and $150 for shipping.
post #45 of 189 Old 11-06-09, 04:09 PM
Shackster
Justin

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
I talked to Scott today at Danley and he said the wait time on these kit's is about 1 to 2 weeks. I am ripping myself apart trying to decide whether or not to order one of these. The kit doesn't come with hardware so that will have to be addressed. He also said that this sub can be used as a riser or platform for a chair which means it must be very sturdy. He said this kit will probably only be available until christmas so I need to make up my mind soon. I will see what happens with Brandonash and get his thoughts after he get's his built. With shipping to me it will come to about $1200 so not bad to be able to own a Danley.
I talked with Jeff and Danley a couple days ago, he said they ship via UPS and if you have it held for pickup at the ups facility it will drop you shipping rate considerably. For me shipping would be $85 compared to about $220 to have it shipped to my house. Difference is they have to have a lift gate truck to ship to your house. I was told to this wont be a sub they will offer forever so I have to make my mind up also.
post #46 of 189 Old 11-07-09, 04:31 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

Alright...finally got the pics off the camera. I hated what happened last night before my wife went to bed. I said "I'm building my 4th home subwoofer. Most people don't understand what frequencies are playing let alone how to make a speaker of some sort to play them. I'm assembling a subwoofer that is more than likely going to be used in professional movie theaters and possibly IMAX that was designed by an audio genius...but how do you turn on the camera???" I'm not an camera guy at all.

I started building late last night and got finished at around 5 this morning. I slept till about 8 or 8:30 and got up just to look at it again. It's really cool looking and very VERY large!! I can say that after building this I know more about horns and how they are designed. Once again, I'm waiting on installing the smaller side panels until I get the drivers in. I don't know how I'm going to orient this sub so I'm going to play around a bit with the mouth placement.

On to some pics...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the base panel. Notice everything is very precision cut so all you really have to do is glue and screw.

Both pieces of pre-assembly done.

Driver baffles.

One fold of the horn.

Stood up on its side to see another fold.

Getting the sides of the box on.

Closeup of the baffles.

Interior shot partially built.

Interior done

A little acoustic padding to take the higher frequencies

Finished product minus the panels

Add a can of soda on top to give better size reference

------------------------------------------------------------

Some assembly notes I wrote during the build.

First and foremost---READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND READ THEM AGAIN. You could seriously make a huge mistake if you are not familiar with the instructions. You could potentially glue and screw an incorrect piece oriented incorrectly and mess up the whole thing.

Ask a friend over to help you. I did this on my own but realize that it would've gone a lot quicker if I would have had an extra set of hands and just more manpower in general. I'm a big guy at 6'3 or 6'4 and 275 lbs. I can lift a lot, but repeated lifts of this thing especially getting towards the end when you're already tired can make it difficult to lift. The extra set of eyes on your friend to double check your interpretation of the instructions also helps.

Don't set a time limit. DO THIS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!! Don't rush it. You may risk messing this up if you hurry. Start in the early afternoon so that you can have into the night if you need to.

When you open the shipping package and are ready to assemble you should take your parts list and double check that everything is there. If any pieces are missing you also risk messing up the design. These are made this way for a reason.

Lay out your pieces letter side up for faster access. I didn't do this and wish that I had done it. It would have saved me a few minutes worth of time.

Have plenty of the glue of your choice. You will need a lot of it. I used a lot on this build and I am now out of glue. Also you want to take your parts list to a hardware store and pick up the extra screws/bolts needed that aren't included. You don't want to get late in the build and run out of anything. Buy extra of everything just in case.

One other very important note. I mistakenly assembled the base panel along with all the folds the first time. You're not suppose to do this. I was lucky in that everything did fit, but it was tight in 1 or 2 places. Essentially you're making the baffles and folds, gluing and screwing them together then putting the large panels on last. This ensures that you can fit everthing quickly and correctly.

This really was a fun build. A kit like this takes the guesswork out of making your own. If someone was to ask me to do this again I would in a heartbeat.

Questions???
post #47 of 189 Old 11-07-09, 04:46 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Wow, Great job. How hard will it be to mount the drivers with the panels on? I would think mounting the drivers before you put on that final panel would be easier. I cant wait to hear your opinions on this sub. I still am on the fence about getting one so hearing from someone who has one will be a big help. Again great job and keep the pics coming.
post #48 of 189 Old 11-07-09, 04:46 PM
Shackster
Justin

were all the holes for the screws etc pre-drilled? How do you plan on finishing it or do you plan to leave it like it is? Nice work!! Can't wait to see what the drivers look like.
post #49 of 189 Old 11-07-09, 05:46 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
Wow, Great job. How hard will it be to mount the drivers with the panels on? I would think mounting the drivers before you put on that final panel would be easier. I cant wait to hear your opinions on this sub. I still am on the fence about getting one so hearing from someone who has one will be a big help. Again great job and keep the pics coming.
Not hard to mount the drivers at all. Drop in and screw in and that's it. Hoping to have the drivers by Monday and fingers crossed have it running by then too.

Quote:
were all the holes for the screws etc pre-drilled? How do you plan on finishing it or do you plan to leave it like it is? Nice work!! Can't wait to see what the drivers look like.
Everything was pre drilled. Very easy to do. For right now I'm going to leave it unfinished. I'm tapped from only 3 hours of sleep and don't want to think about painting right now. When I do finish it I'll probably just put on black semi gloss latex paint. That's how I did my LLT.
post #50 of 189 Old 11-07-09, 05:52 PM
Shackster
Justin

what do you plan on powering the subs with amp / power?