Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 189 Old 11-11-09, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 189 Old 11-11-09, 09:45 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Looks like they have made the packaging a little smaller then the one sent to Brandonnash. When do you think you will have your's up and running?
post #63 of 189 Old 11-11-09, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

It'll be at least a week on the drivers, so a bit after that. I plan on unpacking it this afternoon. I'll then be taking inventory of any extra items I may need (glue, sealer, nuts, terminal) and picking those up tomorrow afternoon. Assembly will likely be Saturday morning as I need a solid 6hrs or so squared off and I just won't have that until then.

post #64 of 189 Old 11-11-09, 04:54 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Great, Keep us informed and don't forget the Pic's. I think they have a list in the box of everything you will need that wasn't included. At least I think that is what Brandonnash said.
post #65 of 189 Old 11-11-09, 06:38 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

I finished this a couple days ago and here's some of the build pics.

This is the base panel. Notice everything is very precision cut so all you really have to do is glue and screw.

Both pieces of pre-assembly done.

Driver baffles.

One fold of the horn.

Stood up on its side to see another fold.

Getting the sides of the box on.

Closeup of the baffles.

Interior shot partially built.

Interior done

A little acoustic padding to take the higher frequencies

Finished product minus the panels

Add a can of soda on top to give better size reference

------------------------------------------------------------

Some assembly notes I wrote during the build.

First and foremost---READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND READ THEM AGAIN. You could seriously make a huge mistake if you are not familiar with the instructions. You could potentially glue and screw an incorrect piece oriented incorrectly and mess up the whole thing.

Ask a friend over to help you. I did this on my own but realize that it would've gone a lot quicker if I would have had an extra set of hands and just more manpower in general. I'm a big guy at 6'3 or 6'4 and 275 lbs. I can lift a lot, but repeated lifts of this thing especially getting towards the end when you're already tired can make it difficult to lift. The extra set of eyes on your friend to double check your interpretation of the instructions also helps.

Don't set a time limit. DO THIS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!! Don't rush it. You may risk messing this up if you hurry. Start in the early afternoon so that you can have into the night if you need to.

When you open the shipping package and are ready to assemble you should take your parts list and double check that everything is there. If any pieces are missing you also risk messing up the design. These are made this way for a reason.

Lay out your pieces letter side up for faster access. I didn't do this and wish that I had done it. It would have saved me a few minutes worth of time.

Have plenty of the glue of your choice. You will need a lot of it. I used a lot on this build and I am now out of glue. Also you want to take your parts list to a hardware store and pick up the extra screws/bolts needed that aren't included. You don't want to get late in the build and run out of anything. Buy extra of everything just in case.

One other very important note. I mistakenly assembled the base panel along with all the folds the first time. You're not suppose to do this. I was lucky in that everything did fit, but it was tight in 1 or 2 places. Essentially you're making the baffles and folds, gluing and screwing them together then putting the large panels on last. This ensures that you can fit everthing quickly and correctly.

This really was a fun build. A kit like this takes the guesswork out of making your own. If someone was to ask me to do this again I would in a heartbeat.

After some initial short term listening over the last couple days I can say that I'm very impressed with what 2 12" drivers in a tapped horn can do. It has extension, a nice clean sound, and more SPL than I'll probably ever use. I've been messing around a little with placement options and right now it's in a corner behind my TV. I'm going to play around some more with placement and probably move my seating a bit to get the most optimal sound. Ricci has his kit AND he got the drivers too so he'll be building soon and I'm very anxious to see some measurements and hear some impressions from him compared to his XXX's.
post #66 of 189 Old 11-12-09, 09:46 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Just got of the phone with Jeff at Danley and I ordered my DTS-10. Now I just need to sell my TC2000 because I don't think I will need it anymore.
post #67 of 189 Old 11-12-09, 10:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Ricci has his kit AND he got the drivers too so he'll be building soon and I'm very anxious to see some measurements and hear some impressions from him compared to his XXX's.
Yes, a lot of people will be looking forward to that.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #68 of 189 Old 11-12-09, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

I unpackaged everything last night and I think that the Danley team can surely condense the package down in size some once they get more dedicated packaging for it. The shipped weight was 336lbs. It really didn't seem that heavy though. As I mentioned the shipping box I received looked like about 62"H x 29"D x 46" W. It took me about an hour to unpack everything and dispose of the unneeded materials. I inspected all of the components and wood and it is of high quality and cut very precisely and well. Also the kit should be able to be converted from left to right handed fairly quickly and easily when finished.

In the large box are:

19 pieces of wood with threaded inserts pre-installed for drivers and hatches
1 grill
1 Danley logo for the grill
1 Danley sticker with serial # and unit information
2 12" drivers
5 pieces of foam to be strategically placed in the horn path
1 roll of foam gasket tape for the access hatches and reverse mounted driver
1 included parts list and recommended components guide.
1 6 page assembly guide

Looks like the only things needed to complete the kit will be:

Driver mounting screws
Screws for the enclosure panels, grill and hatches
Some washers
Wood glue or other adhesive
Silicone or other sealant
Speaker wire
Staples
Some sort of cable tie down
Input jack
Rudimentary tools
Elbow grease
Whatever finishing that you may wish to do.

All of the exact quantities, types and sizes of screws and washers are outlined in the item list. Cut and dry.

I did not think that I would be getting the drivers for another few days yet so I have other obligations that I must attend to. I will spend the next 2 days getting all of the extra hardware needed and getting prepared as I can. I'll be building the kit on Sat morning. I have a gig to do Sat night and the glue needs a full day to dry, so I'll likely not be actually listening to it until Sunday night or even Monday night.
post #69 of 189 Old 11-12-09, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

post #70 of 189 Old 11-15-09, 08:41 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Well I sold my TC2000 so all I have now is my Shiva in a 1.2cf box and it looks very lonely. I should have my Danley by the end of the month so I am very excited to say the least. Hopefully Ricci will have some news up today......can't wait.....