Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 189 Old 11-16-09, 01:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

The "Ryan Anderson Solution"!

http://www.truckfindersinc.com/Strai...,leftfront.JPG

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 189 Old 11-16-09, 05:59 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
bwathahahahaha!

and so an avatar ensues

thanks Mike!
post #83 of 189 Old 11-16-09, 07:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

This thread got me thinking a bit about horns during lunch today. How do they achieve such large displacement and high sensitivity? Nothing is free, so we must be trading one thing to get something else. If I'm understanding the physics correctly, what we are essentially trying to do is take advantage of the force of the motor assembly and leverage it as much as possible. We are banking on the motor and cone being strong enough to move a much larger mass of air than just the cone would itself in free air. For a driver well suited to horn use, we are basically saying the motor assembly is capable of much more than just moving the attached cone, right? The mouth of the horn becomes a much larger radiating area than the cone, but they are coupled together. Any experts on horns can feel free to correct me here.

If that is correct, then could we not achieve a similar end by taking a motor assembly and using a much larger cone? Isn't that ultimately kind of what we are doing with horns? Kevin has made a 21" Maelstrom that uses the same motor assembly as the 18", but if he used a carbon fiber/honeycomb cone for maximum rigidity without getting too heavy, would he be able to get away with say a 36" diameter driver? If the weight didn't increase too much, wouldn't sensitivity go way up? Wouldn't max output capability go way up? Wouldn't harmonic distortion go way down?

Am I way off, spot on, or somewhere in between?

post #84 of 189 Old 11-16-09, 07:12 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
This thread got me thinking a bit about horns during lunch today. How do they achieve such large displacement and high sensitivity? Nothing is free, so we must be trading one thing to get something else. If I'm understanding the physics correctly, what we are essentially trying to do is take advantage of the force of the motor assembly and leverage it as much as possible. We are banking on the motor and cone being strong enough to move a much larger mass of air than just the cone would itself in free air. For a driver well suited to horn use, we are basically saying the motor assembly is capable of much more than just moving the attached cone, right? The mouth of the horn becomes a much larger radiating area than the cone, but they are coupled together. Any experts on horns can feel free to correct me here.

If that is correct, then could we not achieve a similar end by taking a motor assembly and using a much larger cone? Isn't that ultimately kind of what we are doing with horns? Kevin has made a 21" Maelstrom that uses the same motor assembly as the 18", but if he used a carbon fiber/honeycomb cone for maximum rigidity without getting too heavy, would he be able to get away with say a 36" diameter driver? If the weight didn't increase too much, wouldn't sensitivity go way up? Wouldn't max output capability go way up? Wouldn't harmonic distortion go way down?

Am I way off, spot on, or somewhere in between?
all I can say is "ditto" or "I concur"
post #85 of 189 Old 11-17-09, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Horns are an acoustical impedance transformer. They couple the driver to the air in a way that allows the driver to get a "grip on a much larger chunk than if it was just vibrating in the open as in a sealed box. Simply increasing cone size won't do the same thing. Steve your example would be a very efficient driver though.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9778607/Lo...duction-Part-1
post #86 of 189 Old 11-17-09, 01:36 PM
Banned!
Ryan

different means to an end, or no?
post #87 of 189 Old 11-18-09, 01:45 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Wouldn't using a larger cone inherently allow the driver to get a grip on a larger chunk of air?

post #88 of 189 Old 11-18-09, 02:42 AM
Banned!
Ryan

may the SICKO-X employ a 40" cone. a wall of one. any bigger than that even a van isn't big enough.
post #89 of 189 Old 11-18-09, 08:08 AM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
I've heard the finished sub was supposed to have a 3rd option for mouth location...but I assume with the mouth dimensions vs the sub's depth, it can't be located at the end, only on 1 of the large faces?
If it helps, the mouth area can be wrapped around a corner, though of course you need to leave some of it intact to form an 'L' angle brace. This will lengthen the horn's acoustic path-length a minor amount, shifting both its low and high tuning frequencies a fraction of a Hz, so inaudible. Really, the mouth of a TH is so acoustically small for its BW that it could be spread out over both sides and end plates, though in such a scenario it couldn't be placed hard against a boundary.

GM

edit: I see Ivan responded too: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1282

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Last edited by GPM; 11-18-09 at 09:49 AM.
post #90 of 189 Old 11-18-09, 09:43 AM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Simply increasing cone size won't do the same thing.
Hmm, a horn is a folded up flat baffle, so unfold it to find its effective radiating area and use this as the driver's Sd to make a comparison of both radiation efficiency and directivity.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.