Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 189 Old 10-21-09, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Post Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

Danley Sound Labs (DSL) will soon be releasing a tapped horn (TH) subwoofer kit for home theater purposes that will also be available as a finished product. I will be receiving one of the first 2 guinea pig kits that are being sent out. The other is going to fellow bass addict and HTS member Brandon Nash. This is the result of a process that started about 7 months ago.

At the GTG http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ern-style.html that Brandon hosted earlier this year DSL's Ivan B. graciously brought a few of their cabinets for us to check out, of which one in particular really impressed the group. The TH50. This led to a lot of talk about it on various forums. A short while later Brandon and I were contacted by Tom asking for some input for this kit project. A few impromptu polls, a great many email discussions, design work by Tom D. and saw dust at DSL have resulted in a green lighted project and yet another project for me. On to the details...

DSL specializes in TH's and very high output, high efficiency speakers that still sound very good. Most of these end up being quite large for this reason. This is no exception. It was decided that a useful lower limit of about 15hz with response up to 100hz or so would be a good goal to shoot for and that the output should be a LOT. A slowly rolled off low end extension was a goal as well so that it would compliment typical room gain. It was also decided that the best form factor would be similar to the DSL THSpud which is large in 2 dimensions and small in one so that it can be placed up against a wall, behind a screen, or under a couch and not project out into the room very far. These will be able to be stacked up 2 high under a 7.5 foot ceiling and you can make a block of 4 in a 10ft wide, 7ft high and 16" deep wall for crazy behind the screen action.

The cab will be 60"x42"x16" with a side mounted horn mouth in the corner. The driver compliment will be 2 12" drivers similar to the Eminence Lab12 (another DSL design), but significantly upgraded with 3" vc's, more power handling and extended xmax of 15mm. Other drivers may be a good match for the enclosure loading and DSL is supposed to generate a list of these after testing in the future. The enclosure is made from very high quality 13ply baltic birch that will be fully CNC'd, the screw holes will be pre-drilled and all joints will be rabbited and dado'd. The weight will likely be around 250 or 300lbs when finished. The kit will include the cut wood flat pack, basic instructions for assembly and the drivers. Simply construct the enclosure, finish, add an amp and have fun. The price is not set yet but it has been mentioned as possibly coming in under $1000 for this kit. A kit without the drivers should be available, as will a finished one, and possibly a finished one with a built in plate amp. Pricing is still TBD on all.

I've attached a preliminary response graph of the prototype. It is an outdoor measurement at 1w (1.4v) and 1 meter distance. Tom intended to get a low corner of 14hz but it ended up at 11hz apparently. As you can see the response drops some 20db from 100hz down to 11hz, but the efficiency at 11hz is still about 90db, which is very good. This rises to about 95db at 18hz, 100db at 25hz and stays in that range before rising to 105-110db between 50-100hz. the power handling has yet to be determined in practice but it'll likely be about 1000w/ 2000w program. Tom says that the modeling indicates that driver xmax should be first reached at 16hz with about 1kw input into the driver pair. If so this should result in nasty in room output levels. The impedance will be 4ohm nominal with drops to the 2-3ohm range in some spots.

That's all of the info that I have right now. The DSL team is supposed to do further testing on the prototypes and will release info as it becomes available. As soon as I get the kit I'll be starting the build in this thread and updating with pictures. I'll be running it through the wringer, testing it and comparing it against my other subs when I get it done. Should be fun.

Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread-dts-10-prototype-fr2.jpg

Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread-dts10-20impedance.jpg

Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread-dts-10-kit.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 10-21-09, 12:26 PM
Kevin

Re: Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread

It sounds like a great project. Do you have parameters on what Tom is using for the drivers? I was going to do a horn loaded Tempest build for kicks.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #3 of 189 Old 10-21-09, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Hey Kevin.

I don't have driver parameters yet. I'll see if I can get them and if nothing else I can run them through my woofertester unit. I've modeled some of your drivers in TH's, but I couldn't get anything that looked do-able. I didn't do the newest V2 Tempest though. Standard horns may be another matter but both are rather finicky. It'd be great if it turned out that Shiva X's worked in this thing. I believe that the drivers have the standard 12 spoke frame, so it'd be a drop in as long as the motors clear.

post #4 of 189 Old 10-21-09, 04:41 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Looks like a great idea. Cant wait for some pic's.
post #5 of 189 Old 10-21-09, 05:57 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

I am waiting with great anticipation on this thing. Ivan beaver and mike heddon both of dsl are going to take a couple of these home with them for some punishment tests. I believe mike is carrying home a pair of th50's for close comparisons. Between the guys at danley and myself and ricci we will really be doing some serious testing on these. Ricci will probably do more scientific testing and I will do some "turn that down!" wife testing. I think after the initial shock she will begin to like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 189 Old 10-23-09, 12:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Josh, any idea on the ETA of your kit?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 189 Old 10-23-09, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Probably a few days. Not sure yet. I'll be out of town for the weekend camping. I'll ley u know when I get back.

Parting gifts...

Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread-dts-10-3d.jpg
post #8 of 189 Old 10-27-09, 12:48 AM
zack

Did you put it together yet!
post #9 of 189 Old 10-28-09, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

I don't think that the kit has even shipped out yet, or if it has I'm not aware of it. As soon as I know more I'll give an update.

Here's a response graph comparing the relative output levels and FR against a TH50 in a very large 8000cu ft warehouse room. It appears to not only have much greater sub 20hz extension but also to be equal or more sensitive everywhere over the TH50. This may be due to impedance differences but if so this is astounding.

Danley Sound Labs, DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit and build thread-dts10-20versus-20th50.jpg
post #10 of 189 Old 10-28-09, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
this is astounding.
No kidding! Can't wait to see how it will perform in room at your place!

We're all in this together!