Shiva-X 200L (~7 ft^3) build thread - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
favelle

Re: Shiva-X 200L (~7 ft^3) build thread

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Your sound card is giving the amp a fairly strong signal.
That's the part that confuses me. I thought the signal from the PC was just a signal, and the gain knob was synonomous with a "volume" knob. Was I mistaken? I figured if I was only at like 3 on the gain knob, I could have saved $175 and got the 300W amp instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 10:33 AM
Senior Shackster
Raven

Quote:
favelle wrote: View Post
That's the part that confuses me. I thought the signal from the PC was just a signal, and the gain knob was synonomous with a "volume" knob. Was I mistaken? I figured if I was only at like 3 on the gain knob, I could have saved $175 and got the 300W amp instead?
The extra headroom you have allows you to run the sub more effortlessly, and thus, less distortion (better sound).

You don't build a bridge to hold exactly what it needs to hold, you way overbuild it so you're never wanting.
post #73 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
favelle

Quote:
Lonely Raven wrote: View Post
The extra headroom you have allows you to run the sub more effortlessly, and thus, less distortion (better sound).

You don't build a bridge to hold exactly what it needs to hold, you way overbuild it so you're never wanting.
Makes sense...but does that mean with this amp, I am being clearly held back by the driver?

post #74 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 02:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

With this sub design and amp combination you're getting the most amount of performance for your budget.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #75 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
favelle

Quote:
With this sub design and amp combination you're getting the most amount of performance for your budget.
Yeah, I guess we are. And we're not disappointed, not at all!! This thing is a BEAST. Watched the Tai Lung escape scene from the Kung Fu Panda Blu-ray and it felt like were were caving our chests in... But we definitely can't go above 3 on the gain dial on the amp. We get some weird popping sound (loud) and I don't know if that's the amp clipping or the driver bottoming out?
post #76 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 08:23 PM
Pending
Kevin

Quote:
favelle wrote: View Post
Yeah, I guess we are. And we're not disappointed, not at all!! This thing is a BEAST. Watched the Tai Lung escape scene from the Kung Fu Panda Blu-ray and it felt like were were caving our chests in... But we definitely can't go above 3 on the gain dial on the amp. We get some weird popping sound (loud) and I don't know if that's the amp clipping or the driver bottoming out?
Ha! Be careful once you hear loud popping noises. That is your subwoofer telling you that you are abusing it. ;-)

In terms of your volume control, you are confusing the amount of voltage gain, required to drive the amplifier with the amount of power seen by the subwoofer.

Basically.... you need a signal of a certain voltage, to drive the amplifier stage to full power. If your source, has a very robust output voltage, and/or the amplifier has a low input sensitivity (it doesn't require much power to drive) then you may have a very limited range of adjustment on the volume knob. It doesn't mean you are using less power. The position of the knob is almost meaningless because it depends on what voltage you have driving it.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #77 of 103 Old 11-19-09, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
favelle

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
Ha! Be careful once you hear loud popping noises. That is your subwoofer telling you that you are abusing it. ;-)

In terms of your volume control, you are confusing the amount of voltage gain, required to drive the amplifier with the amount of power seen by the subwoofer.

Basically.... you need a signal of a certain voltage, to drive the amplifier stage to full power. If your source, has a very robust output voltage, and/or the amplifier has a low input sensitivity (it doesn't require much power to drive) then you may have a very limited range of adjustment on the volume knob. It doesn't mean you are using less power. The position of the knob is almost meaningless because it depends on what voltage you have driving it.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
That makes perfect sense, thanks Kevin. So how do I gain more control of the sub volume? One little turn of the dial either way has a HUGE effect, so I'd rather have it at 9 o'clock and then use the volume control on the receiver/PC. Is that a smart idea?
post #78 of 103 Old 11-20-09, 01:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

What signal source is driving the amp? Are you using a receiver or a PC?

post #79 of 103 Old 11-20-09, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
favelle

Quote:
What signal source is driving the amp? Are you using a receiver or a PC?
Right now its the PC.
post #80 of 103 Old 11-20-09, 02:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You should be able to turn down the volume of the sound card, I think.