Maelstrom 21" With 4 - 2100 Gram 18" Passive Radiators - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 181 Old 12-08-09, 02:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Maelstrom 21" With 4 - 2100 Gram 18" Passive Radiators

Awesome to hear it is working out so great for you.........lousy for us who don't have a M-21 and are insanely jealous

I thought an M-18 would satisfy my bass rage paired with a bunch of other subs but now Kevin ups the ante even further. Kevin is my pocket books mortal enemy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 181 Old 12-08-09, 02:58 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Re: First report....

Quote:
Mike Cason wrote: View Post
I managed to wheel it into the house last night. It didn't take up much more room than the stacked subs, but I don't have any grills made which will make it 4" wider.

Bass??? After discovering my Denon 5308CI had lost all of it's settings, I finally got the Face 1200 to start throwing out some signals.

I was very concerned about a 21" woofer from comments from the unbeleivers. Comments like the driver that size isn't quick enough to give you good bass & so on. You don't see 21" subs in the marketplace either. I think Foxtex has a $2,200 31" and a couple of others may offer something similar, but I've never heard of one finished in retail. If they would be that great, we should see more of them.

Well the Maelstrom breaks the barrier to lower bass, cleaner bass, and lots of both in the 21" driver!

The XBL2 motor design plays a big part in its superior performance.

I wasn't in the position to take some measurements but I did listen to a couple of test THX & Dolby Digital DVD tracks, Santana at Montreaux, and then the ultimate test; John Clayton's stand up bass on Diana Krall's live in Paris DVD. Of all the subs I've built and owned, including Legacy's infamous Point One, Mr. Clayton's bass has always produced a bunch of resonance. This disc is the only one that did that in my collection. Sure, I could probably go out and buy a multi-band equilizer and get rid of the unwanted resonance, but I wanted a sub that would play every note as John played it. I stuck the disc in the OPPO and hit the play button and was probably as nervous as Susan Boyle's debut when they pushed the play button.

Their opening song is probably their best on this album with John Clayton's bass, their lead guitarist, of course Diana's piano playing.

The sub didn't have any distortion, a total lack of resonance, was crystal clear, and with John plucking the bass strings, it sounded like you were there or he was here. The second track had John's bass playing as well and all was good. I was/am very impressed. I'm sure the 4 2100 gram passive radiators played a huge role in the performance as well as the properly built and dampened cabinet. With my new Denon flagship receiver, the picture was upconverted to 1080p, so I watched the concert until the wife went to bed. I haven't watched this DVD with my new receiver and its new HQV upconversion chip. It upconverts everything including Direct TV and component video.

When she got home, she locked the electric gate (we have a chain we use for added security). When she came in the house I told her how great it performed and she said the fence and gate was ratteling and I didn't even have it up to the spl I really like listening concerts at.

I've got a lot of shop, truck cleanup, and paperwork to do, but I'll find the tuning frequency and some spl levels in the next couple of days. I used the Face 1200 and got it to clip a couple of times (on purpose for testing). When I had it cranked up during some of the test cd tracks, the driver was really moving.

I guess by this report you guys know well I like it! It gets an 11 point rating out of a possible 10.
BRAVO! BRAVO!
post #93 of 181 Old 12-08-09, 03:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Thanks for the report. You can just sense your overwhelming enthusiasm which is great stuff.

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)

post #94 of 181 Old 12-08-09, 07:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
Oh come on Mike, everyone needs at least FOUR 21" subwoofers. ;-)

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Oh...I'll gladly try out four 21" subs in my 13x13 room for no charge
Simply send them and a few of those super fancy Face Audio amps that you have there, and we have a deal
lol just kidding.

It's good to hear that everything turned out awesome Mike. Excellent build to. I wish I could have a 21" to match my Mal-X But, I'm too poor...a 15 year old in this kind of audio stuff...you tend to run out of money pretty quick haha

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #95 of 181 Old 12-08-09, 07:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

Any graphs?
post #96 of 181 Old 12-09-09, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Mfishmike

Quote:
Jason_Nolan wrote: View Post
Any graphs?
Yes, see post #5. Kevin Haskins did a nice job. I expect a little lower tuning with my 4 18" 2100 gram prs, but it is close.

I may be forced to sell this one with grills completed and the amplifier due to finances. I've got an order of drivers coming in from China and money is tight. Both of our main jobs came to a standstill but the bills haven't. I'll make that decision soon.

Mike

If it is too loud, then you may be too old!
post #97 of 181 Old 12-09-09, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Mfishmike

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Oh...I'll gladly try out four 21" subs in my 13x13 room for no charge
Simply send them and a few of those super fancy Face Audio amps that you have there, and we have a deal
lol just kidding.

It's good to hear that everything turned out awesome Mike. Excellent build to. I wish I could have a 21" to match my Mal-X But, I'm too poor...a 15 year old in this kind of audio stuff...you tend to run out of money pretty quick haha
I'm proud of you for taking up this hobby son. There are so many other 15 year old's out there taking on hobbies that lead them down the wrong road. You are in a forum with a bunch of great guys and we'll support you all that we can.

Mike

post #98 of 181 Old 12-09-09, 08:08 AM
Senior Shackster
Raven

Well said, Mike!
post #99 of 181 Old 12-13-09, 07:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Any pics of the sub in house?

We're all in this together!

post #100 of 181 Old 12-13-09, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Mfishmike

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Any pics of the sub in house?
I thought about that yesterday. It looks so much nicer in the home than in the garage. I've been very sick but am better, so I'll get a couple posted later on when I've been up a while. I need to clean the camera lens first.

.....I watched Celtic Women on local antenna yesterday and the subwoofer hit lows I've never heard out of a sub, ever! I just happend to be in the back room when that particular song played. I walked into the LR and was extremely wowed by the low earth shattering bass it was producing at a low volume. It was simply incredible and unbeleivable!