My Dual Tang Band 8x12 Tapped Horn Project - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 99 Old 01-19-10, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: My Dual Tang Band 8x12 Tapped Horn Project

Jacob,

You are right. I wasn't really intending to say that people should post 4pi graphs even though I did ask Jeremy to post one. I was just explaining why I use it. I have seen a lot of people lately posting 0.5pi or 1.0pi graphs and that was my main point. As you say it's very easy to make a mental 6 or 12db subtraction if you know what you are looking at. As mentioned a lot of people do not know the difference and they see 2 graphs and think that they are looking at apples/apples when they aren't at all. I think everyone is on the same page here...

BTW,

I may ask for your opinions on a design I'm piddling with in the future as your horn design chi is much stronger than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 01-19-10, 01:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Yeah, it really didn't fit here, but I thought it needed to be thrown out there somewhere. I know you have a good handle on it.

I don't know how much help I'll be to you, but send a PM.
post #33 of 99 Old 01-20-10, 03:38 PM
Shackster
Michael

Anybody read this thread think.....wow 8 times 12 inch subs in a tapped horn my word the world is going to end with that awesome bass!

Oh well, still looking forward to hearing this.

A good friend of mine recently took a old 6.5 inch woofer from a high tuned computer "midwoofer" and we put it in a tapped horn and run a nice plate amp to it and we were utterly astounded with the output and frequnecy range!

post #34 of 99 Old 01-20-10, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Wait until someone convinces me that Wolfhorn III is viable... some of the sims for the IXL 18.2.2 made my jaw drop. If I go ahead with that one, I may stop at 20Hz due to the sheer size of the cabinet needed to get the compression ratio to sane levels.

Right now I have that one at a 19Hz corner in half space showing low to mid 120dB output before it runs out of excursion. Compression ratio is 2.13:1 currently. 766L design so far. I'd post a graph but I'm not happy with the uneven SPL graph in it right now. Needs more work, and I'm still not sure I'll bother. It's easier doing these with smaller drivers

I should sim the 12" IXL now that he has two versions of it. Maybe the 10" too.

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 01-20-10 at 05:53 PM.
post #35 of 99 Old 01-21-10, 08:52 PM
Joe

Quote:
Oklahoma Wolf wrote: View Post
The Dayton DVC used in the Tuba HT might work in the Wolfhorn II design as well, but then I'd have no choice about making the box deeper. Another plus to the oval TB's. And the fifteen would be less tolerant of the compression ratio too.

Going back on topic, I think I'll compromise a little and increase depth to 15.5." That will allow room for bracing while still allowing for the thickness of the saw blade. I will be using some damping material around some of the folds to hopefully help with standing waves.

No expert here- just a thought.

Would mounting the Dayton DVC diagonally in the box like some of Siegfried Linkwitz’s dipole woofer designs help in any way?
post #36 of 99 Old 01-21-10, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Nope, I modeled it and even if it did fit (actually, I think it will after all) the response isn't great with this design.

I keep going back and forth on the reflectors yet. I think I may add them after all - I'm sure they won't hurt. Unless the circular saw slips while I'm trying to do angle cuts, that is... maybe I'll just use the jigsaw for those.
post #37 of 99 Old 01-22-10, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

The woofers are here. One is defective - scratching noise as you push down on the cone

I tested them briefly with a 10Hz sine wave. The bad one sounds like a jackhammer. Will have video when I can get it uploaded.

Initial impressions - these are some serious looking woofers. Will have to use the QSC to do the break in, as my old 60W x2 Noresco amp got way too hot already just testing them.

post #38 of 99 Old 01-22-10, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

So I was sitting here thinking about waiting on a new driver when my brain said something to me and we had this conversation:

"Say, Wolfie, old buddy, you've been an electronics tech for a while now and have fixed everything from digital cameras to sentry key modules in minivans."
"Yeah, so? I paid for a new working woofer and shouldn't have to fix it."
"Well... see that there? You can see the voice coil and down into the gap easily on these woofers."
"Your point, brain?"
"I think I see something in there that doesn't belong poking its head out of the gap."
"Hmm... you're right. Hand me those dental picks there and I'll have a look."

So I carefully pushed the cone up until the coil left the gap and did some poking around with the dental picks I use for delicate de-soldering work. How do you get a sub to sound like a jackhammer? You toss metal filings into the gap, that's how:

The defective driver is now working silently. There are a few scratches on the enamel of the coil, so I'll have to strap these both to the QSC and see if they survive break-in. Just maybe I'll get away with not having to send the noisy one back now.

Edit - and we have video now too - this is before the repair. Note that some of the noises you hear when I move over to the other woofer is the camera re-adjusting. Sorry about the quality - this was a Fuji S700 taking the video.

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 01-22-10 at 02:51 PM.
post #39 of 99 Old 01-22-10, 03:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Lookin good!

Nice to see a guy who can think on his feet.

You have a front row seat to the famous Tang Band QC

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #40 of 99 Old 01-22-10, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Just my opinion but I would return it anyway. With that piece of metal in there it might have caused some damage that might not show up right away, No?