My Dual Tang Band 8x12 Tapped Horn Project - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 99 Old 01-22-10, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Re: My Dual Tang Band 8x12 Tapped Horn Project

That's a possibility. I have them both strapped to the QSC right now getting 10V @ 10Hz... want to see how they hold up over a couple hour span or so.

Edit - 10:30pm and they're still fine and dandy. That's over 6 hours and counting. Shutting it down for the night now.

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 01-22-10 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 99 Old 01-25-10, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Minor update - after taking a long break for the blizzard of the century and its frequent power failures, I've now done enough testing of the woofers that I think I'm just going to keep the "bad" one. The electronics tech in me is insisting I caught the problem and fixed it early enough, and it beats waiting on Solen to get these back in stock. I may buy a spare just in case, but I think they're both going to be fine now.

New video:

I barely get enough gain using only the Reckhorn as a pre-amp with an SSF at the frequency of the test tone I'm using, but it works. Burned a 50 minute long 10Hz test tone to CD and set it on repeat. The drivers are sitting on a brace for another project with the vents exposed about two inches off the floor.

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 01-25-10 at 09:08 AM.
post #43 of 99 Old 01-27-10, 05:56 PM
Banned!
Ryan

after playing 10Hz tones even for a few seconds with a chunk like that I'd want a replacement but I don't want to wait to see how this performs either cut some wood!
at the end of the 50 minutes when the CD repeats, does anything happen at the changeover... like a pop? I use a tone generator off my PC to be safe. I've always wondered/worried.

Last edited by Ryan Anderson; 01-27-10 at 06:18 PM.

post #44 of 99 Old 01-27-10, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

A little bit of a pop, but nothing major. Solen's told me that they'll honor the 1 year warranty on the driver should I ever need it, so I'm determined not to worry about it. Next time, I'll inspect suspicious drivers before they ever go on the amp. I should have caught it sooner.

While testing, it looked to me like the two woofers needed 16V to hit Xmax, so I'll be using that figure to set up my subsonic filter once the thing goes together. The idea is to set it up initially with a 20Hz SSF, let the Pioneer 919 calibrate the level for reference, run the 10Hz CD, and then slowly run the thing up to +5dB or so while watching the voltage at the amp and running back and forth between amp and sub to make double sure that as I reduce the SSF, the woofers never see that 16V at 10Hz.

I can't tell you how much I want to get this built yesterday, but sadly there's still snow on the ground and I have no heated shop to work in
post #45 of 99 Old 01-27-10, 07:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Heats for wusses!

I grew up in Manitoba. We scoff at minus 25. But then again glue doesn't like it!

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #46 of 99 Old 01-27-10, 08:19 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Funny it seems every major build I do ends up being during the coldest time of year... due to waiting on finances, it may warm up first this time for me!
post #47 of 99 Old 01-27-10, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Quote:
mwmkravchenko wrote: View Post
We scoff at minus 25. But then again glue doesn't like it!
Asthma doesn't like it either

And I have a double whammy to deal with in my allergies as well. Allergic to everything, which is why you will never see me work with MDF. I have to be very careful with when and where I do my woodworking. I still haven't figured out where to leave the project while the PL Premium cures and (possibly) the paint dries.
post #48 of 99 Old 01-27-10, 11:28 PM
Banned!
Ryan

I had the same problems with my build last february/march. The caulk took weeks to cure, the paint hours before I could add coats.
post #49 of 99 Old 02-18-10, 08:57 AM
Shackster
Oliver

Hi Jeremy,

Well done on finding and fixing the problem with the rubbing woofer. Did you measure the Thiel-Small parameters for these drivers, and are they close to the published specs?

Regards,
post #50 of 99 Old 02-18-10, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Thanks

I have no way to measure them right now - no money for a woofer tester, and no time to fiddle with doing it the hard way.

My car recently blew its second fuel pump in 4 months... this has put me significantly behind on this project