2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 237 Old 01-30-10, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: 2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build

Ryan,

Yep you did. These drivers rock in ported subs. The sub bass is so much more defined than the sealed sub and I just watched Transformers 2 on a moderate volume and the low bass is defined, deep and doesn't muffle any other frequencies. You hear even the quiet thuds and the sub 15hz so much more there. There wasn't even much air coming out of the ports so I really don't see the high port velocity I have been even the slightest of issues. Wathing the film was so much more interesting.

I will run some graphs tomorrow as it is getting late and re run audyssey aswell.

I just can't imagine two of these!

cheers
graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 237 Old 01-30-10, 07:21 PM
Banned!
Ryan

IMHO people get too caught up in charts numbers and overall data. too caught up in theory and misconception. stereotypes. to me, step back. if you port it, you are going to get over a double gain somewhere. your FR may look nasty... but that does not mean it's going to sound nasty. my IB3 looks terrible but it sounds amazing!

I reiterate: why all these people sealing 21's rather than porting 18's? I know I am right. But I can't prove it. I think more people would be happier. O well.... I'll worry about me and everything everyone is going to say when I break more rules with my next build.
post #43 of 237 Old 01-30-10, 07:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Nice sub build Graham. I'm looking forward to the graphs.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #44 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Mike,

Thanks mate. I am going to start building the second one today. I was surprised when watching transformers 2 that even at volume -22db on the onkyo which would be my normal watching level there was little air coming from the sub even when the low bass scenes were being played but there was alot of low sub 20hz bass. Even playing bassotronics at -25db which is not too loud but still there was alot of low stuff and not much air and certainly no noise and I haven't even routed the exit port. Not too sure at say volume -10db and up but that would be too loud for the neighbour to take.

Obviously at the moment Audyssey is calibrated with the old sub so that could change but I was surprised that when I put the BFD on how much the level of bass went down. It really lowers the levels with that on so I turned it off and the levels shot up. I may see if I can get away without it.

I have the gain on the behringer on max and the sub trim level on -2db at the moment.

Will post some graphs later on for you. My other half wasn't too impressed once I got the sub in the house with the fact there will be two. This sub actually does look bigger than the first one even though it is narrower but taller. Oops!

cheers

Graham
post #45 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 06:05 AM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
IMHO people get too caught up in charts numbers and overall data. too caught up in theory and misconception. stereotypes. to me, step back. if you port it, you are going to get over a double gain somewhere. your FR may look nasty... but that does not mean it's going to sound nasty. my IB3 looks terrible but it sounds amazing!

I reiterate: why all these people sealing 21's rather than porting 18's? I know I am right. But I can't prove it. I think more people would be happier. O well.... I'll worry about me and everything everyone is going to say when I break more rules with my next build.

Ported and sealed designs sound different. You have to deal with phase delay, group delay etc.
post #46 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 06:08 AM
Elite Shackster

Dont use the BFD with its settings for the sealed sub, the settings will just be nothing like what they need to be. You should wait till you run the graphs and take it from there, and I'm itching to see them.
post #47 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

Yep I know that. Thats why I have to start again with no EQ and no BFD. Run a first graph first etc.. bla bla bla. If you know what I mean. I have done all the bracing for the second sub and now a quick sand down and I am ready to start putting it together.

I will probably run a graph and EQ roughly the one sub on its own until I get the other one finished and then EQ together.

I will be glad to see the back of Mdf shavings I know that much.

cheers

Graham
post #48 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 10:47 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
fackamato wrote: View Post
Ported and sealed designs sound different. You have to deal with phase delay, group delay etc.
which is what I lve about Steve's LLT explanation.... tune it low so the main content doesn't rely on the port for output
post #49 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 11:16 AM
Elite Shackster

I just prefer the sound of sealed ones period. I'd rather use another driver and pay the cost than use a ported sub, but thats just me.
post #50 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 12:29 PM
Banned!
Ryan

well i cant hate now can I... I'm mr "hey! to each his own!"