2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: 2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build

Dan,

I have to say although not calibrated yet the low end feel you get from my ported sub compared to my dual is chalk and cheese. My dual was flat to 12hz but I never got the low end thump like I get on the ported and thats only one of them. I am have played some music and am pretty impressed although we will have to wait and see once they are EQ'd but initial impressions are promising.

I am eager to see what the graph shows before EQ. Before I had a large dip around 50hz so it will be interesting to see if that is the same. I have the driver facing the left front speaker as firing into the wall the bass is too overpowering. It still sounds deep but alot clearer.

I will run some graphs tomorrow night when I get home from work. Check back then.
cheers

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 03:19 PM
Banned!
Ryan

this just tickles me pink.
post #53 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 03:45 PM
Elite Shackster

I would point to your high QTC as an issue with no feeling the low end thump as much. A point in case would be pointing to an IB, which if we are to believe all the reports of them, give the best low end punch you can get, and from what is pretty much just a sealed sub.

post #54 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 04:08 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Dan,

I have to say although not calibrated yet the low end feel you get from my ported sub compared to my dual is chalk and cheese. My dual was flat to 12hz but I never got the low end thump like I get on the ported and thats only one of them. I am have played some music and am pretty impressed although we will have to wait and see once they are EQ'd but initial impressions are promising.

Graham
he said he gets more low end thump, and he is right, cuz I get low end thump on many many many songs that you never would have known it was in.. and it sounds "intended" and even if its not it sounds great and it enhances, not colors

dueces
post #55 of 237 Old 01-31-10, 05:25 PM
Elite Shackster

I dont doubt you guys, I just prefer the sealed sound, and I get just the low end thump I desire an expect, and more so than I did with the ultra I had.

As long as we're all happy, thats the main thing
post #56 of 237 Old 02-01-10, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

Agreed matey. Thats the important thing defo. The one thing I was going to say was even though my sealed sub had a high qtc, once EQd doesn't that pretty much go out of the window. Pre EQd I was down on my lower end but once I EQd I was flat to 12hz and I could still play a 5hz tone too so I wasn't short of low end punch after but it doesn't compare to the ported low end on my ported sub. I think a 18" ported sub would sound better than a ported 13" sub. I played a 10hz tone last night and even at moderate volumes it shook most things in the living room and you certainly felt it. 20, 30 and 40 were strong too but 50hz seemed a bit less but I will see tonight what the graph is telling me.

I have put all my bracing together on my second sub and fixed it to my port piece. I have marked up the side ready to glue it to the braces. I need to router a curve on the port piece then I should be able to finish it off by sunday.

cheers

Graham
post #57 of 237 Old 02-01-10, 01:59 AM
Banned!
Ryan

im only tuned to 18Hz but tiny bits of power at 14Hz moves things all over the house insid and outside
post #58 of 237 Old 02-01-10, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Ryan,

It will be interesting to see what still rattles etc.. with a hpf engaged.

cheers

Graham
post #59 of 237 Old 02-01-10, 10:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Dan,

Agreed matey. Thats the important thing defo. The one thing I was going to say was even though my sealed sub had a high qtc, once EQd doesn't that pretty much go out of the window. Pre EQd I was down on my lower end but once I EQd I was flat to 12hz and I could still play a 5hz tone too so I wasn't short of low end punch after but it doesn't compare to the ported low end on my ported sub. I think a 18" ported sub would sound better than a ported 13" sub. I played a 10hz tone last night and even at moderate volumes it shook most things in the living room and you certainly felt it. 20, 30 and 40 were strong too but 50hz seemed a bit less but I will see tonight what the graph is telling me.

I have put all my bracing together on my second sub and fixed it to my port piece. I have marked up the side ready to glue it to the braces. I need to router a curve on the port piece then I should be able to finish it off by sunday.

cheers

Graham
The QTC doesnt change with eq'ing. You room can have an effect on it by all accounts but Ive yet to go that deep into it. From experience, the QTC is more to do with how the eventual character of the sub sounds rather than overall performance. A higher QTC will let the higher audible bass tones dominate, while a lower QTC will subdue those audible tones in favour making the sub sound deep and cleaner, but note this change cant really be seen in a simple SPL response graph.
post #60 of 237 Old 02-01-10, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Here is my first graph with no EQ and no Audyssey. The sub is facing towards the left front speaker. Pretty good I think except for the peak and dip which I had the same issue as with the sealed sub but the bottom end is great. Looks like is dropping off at about 12hz. Yum Yum!

A bit of EQ and Audyssey. Job done for sub one.

The fun will start with two subs.

cheers

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-ported-sub-no-eq-no-audyssey.jpg