2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 237 Old 02-02-10, 06:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: 2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Ive heard a lot of good thing about the antimode, but when I demo'd one I found it didnt make a whole heap of difference for me, either on the graph or audibly. I felt it made the timing of my then sub a touch better, but not enough to discount placebo.

I think the main reason for this was that I already had a good in room response, plus I was already using Audyssey. From that I decided that if you have a decent room, and already have eq in place resulting in a good response, its probably not really needed. If however non of that applies its probably a very good tool.

Just my ten pence.

P.S, nice build BTW.
Well, I noticed on Put On by Young Jeezy (I don't listen to rap; it was just a test) that on the second to the highest tone, I had to turn it down 4dB on that tone, then turn it back up 4dB for the rest of the tones on my receiver's sub channel to have it sound the same as the rest of the tones in the song. I'm crossing over at 80hz. I'm guessing that is my room boosting that frequency, or is that just how the recording is? Can someone test it that has a flat response to tell me if they have the same result with that frequency being louder than the rest of them??
(I don't mean to thread jack...)

I haven't tried having my sub face the wall yet. Maybe that could help somehow...

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 02-02-10 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

I am going to EQ my single sub tonight and re run Audyssey to get a flat response. Can you give me a link to that song and let me know how many minutes in it is that you hear this difference and I will let you know how it sounds on mine. I tried Anti mode on my PC13 ultra I had and didn't noticed a real difference in sound. I didn't run any graphs but sound wise it wasn't worth it for me.

cheers

graham
post #73 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 01:09 AM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Well, I noticed on Put On by Young Jeezy (I don't listen to rap; it was just a test) that on the second to the highest tone, I had to turn it down 4dB on that tone, then turn it back up 4dB for the rest of the tones on my receiver's sub channel to have it sound the same as the rest of the tones in the song. I'm crossing over at 80hz. I'm guessing that is my room boosting that frequency, or is that just how the recording is? Can someone test it that has a flat response to tell me if they have the same result with that frequency being louder than the rest of them??
(I don't mean to thread jack...)

I haven't tried having my sub face the wall yet. Maybe that could help somehow...
I play Put On on repeat all the time! As soon as I got homke tonight! The 2nd lowest tone is a dead zone, the sub moves but you don't hear it as loud anywhere in the house... listening position 1, 2, the suck out zone (center of the listening room) or anywhwhere. But I LOVE that low tone!

post #74 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 07:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Mike,

Here's the sealed and ported un EQd graphs. I still need to have a play with the sub facing into the wall or how it is now. I did try it facing into the wall quickly but the bass was over powering. Blue is ported and red is sealed.

cheers
graham
With headroom to eq in the bottom end, I have to say I like the look of the sealed response better, but here I go again . If the sealed sub is at its limit and you cant eq the bottom end up then the ported is the only way to go.

As before, the biggest point of note for me is that the sealed is considerably more expensive.
post #75 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

The biggest problem with the FI Q drivers which is where they differ from yours so much is that because the qtc is high the bottom end does need boosting alot. The advantage with the ported is I don't need to boost the bottom end as I have tonnes of it. I just need to EQ the peak and dip which I have already worked out the filters for with the BFD. If I could get a 0.7 qtc with a 8 cu ft box using the Q drivers then bingo but I need a 28 cu ft box to get to 0.7 qtc for a sealed sub.

I would say that the both graphs show exactly what the sealed and ported sub are meant to do. The peaks and nulls as we know are just the room.

I am going to re do Audyssey and EQ tonight so I will post some graphs for just the one sub. And then I will re do them both on Sunday (hopefully).

cheers

Graham
post #76 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 08:08 AM
Elite Shackster

Yeah I know Graham, (I did offer to import some of my driver for you, but you just wanted bigger ). The ported sub will have the opposite effect on what would be QTC in a sealed sub, so it will sound clean and deep, but the upper bass quietens off somewhat.

The whole aim of you build was to avoid this because of how you felt the Ultra was. It'll be interesting to see if these drivers are delivering that upper bass in a ported sub for you, especially knowing how critical you are.
post #77 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

From what I have heard so far it does. It sounds better than when I had just the one driver in the sealed box with ALOT more low end. I will let you know a bit later how it sounds once I have EQ'd it and re run Audyssey. One thing with the drivers is that characteristics is that they are very musical drivers so I am guessing that even in ported form they still will be.

cheers

Graham
post #78 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 10:37 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
I play Put On on repeat all the time! As soon as I got homke tonight! The 2nd lowest tone is a dead zone, the sub moves but you don't hear it as loud anywhere in the house... listening position 1, 2, the suck out zone (center of the listening room) or anywhwhere. But I LOVE that low tone!

LOL. I'll have the bass balanced for what I like with the mains, then when that second highest tone kicks in, I gotta turn it down about 4dB to have it sound the same as the rest. Are you hearing the same thing Ryan? (The lowest tone REALLY moves my room around)

I hope the AntiMode will fix this. I think its a room problem because when I listen right next to my sub, every drop in the tones sounds exactly the same.

Graham,

I don't know if you already said this or not, but do you have the second sub finished also? Or are you still only running one?

Build log:

post #79 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 12:36 PM
Banned!
Ryan

I'm the other way around... it has 3 notes then 4 notes... cycles back and forth. With the 4 notes, the highest one is quiet cuz my amps must have a small LPF slope starting low but gently rolling off. The 2nd highest is really loud cuz I have a nasty terrible 45Hz bass boost so that one just radiates. The 3rd tone just dies... empty... but the sub moves pretty good... port cancelation? A port resonance out of phase with the driver? Cuz it's not a room node/null/void... it's dead everywhere. Then the bottom note... love. Bliss. Excitement.
post #80 of 237 Old 02-03-10, 12:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
The 3rd tone just dies... empty... but the sub moves pretty good... port cancellation?
Plug the port, see what happens.