2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 237 Old 01-17-10, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build

Hi guys,

I thought I would start a new thread in the FI forum area. I had the wood all cut up today at B&Q. Boy did it take ages. Some of it I noticed is a mill out in places but hopefully will be ok.

Here's a picture of the wood. I will start marking the wood up tomorrow night and start cutting on Friday next week. I decided to go for the 13.5hz tune in the end as with a hpf it should give me 5db more at 10hz and the same output as the 15hz tune from 15hz onwards.

Port velocity will down to 18 m/s at full output with the hpf engaged so all should be good.

Final Dimensions are 28" wide by 22" deep by 42" high all made out of 18mm mdf.

I just need to order the t nuts and screws, some shorter wood screws, the reckhorn B2, one more speaker plate, no doubt some more jigsaw blades probably some other stuff.

I have enough wood veneer for one sub so will have to wait until I get some more funds to do the other. Oh and I need to get some cables to connect the hpf to the bfd to the behringer amp. What are the best leads to get?

cheers

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-020.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 Old 01-18-10, 06:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: 2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build

Oh, boy...its finally here
You need to hurry up, build the boxes, compare them with your sealed ones, and tell us here!!! And of course take measurments to

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 237 Old 01-18-10, 07:20 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Lets get this party started!

post #4 of 237 Old 01-19-10, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Will do chaps. I starting marking up the wood last night. I have marked up the braces for cutting and just leaves to mark up the sides and were ready to go. I need to pilot hole the wood too. Ive got 4 1200mm sash clamps coming today or tomorrow and will get the bond and seal today. Its wierd that even though each sub will be bigger than my single dual they will look smaller because of being taller and thinner.

Work starts Friday!

There will be lots of pics and lots of measuring. I need to work out what extra cables I need to get. I need to sort out the Reckhorn B2 sometime in a few days.

cheers

Graham
post #5 of 237 Old 01-23-10, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I thought I would let you all know I have finally started now. I have cut most of the 1st braces, just waiting for the batteries for the cordless to re charge up again. I am then going to smooth off the edges of the braces so hopefully it looks nice and neat. Will have to see how that turns out.

Poxy clamps still have not turned up. Aaahh! I have my 9 tubes of bond and seal. I will upload some pics later when the braces are done. Then I need to get something to line the sub with although I am still not sure what to get yet. Acoustice mineral wool is really cheap but you can't glue it to the sides or I may just get some egg crate foam.

I am only doing one sub at the moment to see how the 13.5hz tune pans out and if all ok then start the second one in the middle of next week.

cheers

Graham
post #6 of 237 Old 01-23-10, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Right here goes some pics as promised for you. So far today I have done all the bracing for the sub. It felt like it took ages. I have never really used a jigsaw before much so there was a few places that were not 100% perfect but I think it looks ok. The inter locking slots worked ok and fit good but I will use bond and seal to secure it once glued and screwed. I first marked up the pieces of wood where bits needed cutting.

cheers

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-001.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-002.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-004.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-003.jpg  

post #7 of 237 Old 01-23-10, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Now all cut up and sanded smooth. I think this sub will be really light compared to my dual sealed. Hopefully anyway.

cheers

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-009.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-010.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-011.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-005.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-006.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-007.jpg  

2 X 11 cu ft Q18 slot ported subs build-008.jpg  

post #8 of 237 Old 01-24-10, 03:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Looks good, Graham! I bet you can't wait until they are finished
I saw one of Steve Meade's videos on youtube, and he pushed down on the cone of his 18" BTL, and the suspension was VERY stiff. Were your Q's the same way?

Build log:

post #9 of 237 Old 01-24-10, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

My drivers are still very stiff even after runnng them in free air a while ago. They are defo softer but you can only push them about 10mm or so. They are not bouncy like some I have read about. They should be run in by now I would have thought. Maybe its the nature of the driver. Perhaps someone could comment on that. Does a stiff driver mean a tighter bass sound?

Yep! can't wait. I hope I get my clamps on Monday. I just got the holes for the drivers to cut out and then start putting it together. Still need to decide on the lining. I am tempted to get some rockwool acoustic slabs but not sure what density to go for. They do it in 45kg/m3 and 60kg/m3. Tempted to go for the 60kg/m3.

cheers

Graham
post #10 of 237 Old 01-24-10, 02:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Mathias

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Dylan,

Does a stiff driver mean a tighter bass sound?

Graham
No. Unless the driver makes noises that it shouldn't make when music etc is being played, it's working normally.