Shiva Tapped Horn - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 166 Old 01-28-10, 01:28 PM
Kevin

Re: Shiva Tapped Horn

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Keep it under 300L? That's a little over 10 cubic foot.
I don't want to fix a size but that is part of the equation for the winning design.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 166 Old 01-28-10, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Keep it under 300L? That's a little over 10 cubic foot.
The one in the first post is 427L.
post #33 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 02:38 AM
Senior Shackster
Fred

Got all the basic params input into Hornresp and played for a bit tonight and well, um...

This is a little more complicated than winisd.

post #34 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 10:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
Hmmmm. I didn't look at that honestly. I was just throwing a # out there.
post #35 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 11:30 AM
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Or 38cf and maelstrom 18.........X2. Coming soon.
post #36 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 12:20 PM
Kevin

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
There is no way around it. Bass horns that reach deep are going to be very large. That is something that people think we can wave a wand and change but it is fundamental to how horns function.

I think your 427L is going to be a realistic size for Shiva-X2 bass horns. People who want Tempest-X2, and Maelstrom horns are going to be looking at construction projects that involve the room. They are going to be absolutely huge. They also have extra challenges with getting inert enclosures because large panels flex, especially with the forces they are exposed to in the mouth of a horn. Building horns is going to require building, testing and measuring and when DIYers want to copy a build, they are going to need to do it per the drawing or get unpredictable results.

That is part of the reason I've not been a big proponent. It seems like everyone wants to change my standard box designs to fit their application. With sealed or ported cabinets you can change the design easily. With horns.... that won't be the case.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #37 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 04:43 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

You could use four Mal 21's in this design..... http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.ht...20TOTAL%20HORN

Shiva Tapped Horn-horn-throat.jpg

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #38 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 05:01 PM
DerekG

What about a tempest-x horn... just playing around with building one for a sofa table sub
post #39 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
There is no way around it. Bass horns that reach deep are going to be very large. That is something that people think we can wave a wand and change but it is fundamental to how horns function.
I agree. I learned that lesson trying to get high performing midbass horns to be compact.

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
I think your 427L is going to be a realistic size for Shiva-X2 bass horns. People who want Tempest-X2, and Maelstrom horns are going to be looking at construction projects that involve the room. They are going to be absolutely huge. They also have extra challenges with getting inert enclosures because large panels flex, especially with the forces they are exposed to in the mouth of a horn. Building horns is going to require building, testing and measuring and when DIYers want to copy a build, they are going to need to do it per the drawing or get unpredictable results.

That is part of the reason I've not been a big proponent. It seems like everyone wants to change my standard box designs to fit their application. With sealed or ported cabinets you can change the design easily. With horns.... that won't be the case.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Agree to all of this too. Some of the models I've come up with are a bit larger, but smaller doesn't seem to work well so far.

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
You could use four Mal 21's in this design..... http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.ht...20TOTAL%20HORN
It's not a Tapped Horn.

Quote:
dgilme wrote: View Post
What about a tempest-x horn... just playing around with building one for a sofa table sub
A baseline start would be Chris' design in post 1, widened by 3" or so to fit the Tempest and use the TH wizard in Hornresp to adjust from there. For a full size single bed, you have a possibility of about 6x3' which increases possibilities.
post #40 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 07:10 PM
Shackster
publius

i need to get to 5 posts to post my content, so here is a post.