Shiva Tapped Horn - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 10:55 PM
Shackster
publius

Re: Shiva Tapped Horn

"Hate to point this out, but it's not a TH."

a9x, sorry if what i proposed was not a tapped horn, as spec'd in your op. i didn't mean to muck up your thread. i was just trying to show an honest alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 11:00 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
You could use four Mal 21's in this design..... http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.ht...20TOTAL%20HORN

It's not a Tapped Horn.
Correct, It's not, however you could design one around it. I shall leave that part up to you.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
publius wrote: View Post
"Hate to point this out, but it's not a TH."

a9x, sorry if what i proposed was not a tapped horn, as spec'd in your op. i didn't mean to muck up your thread. i was just trying to show an honest alternative.
No worries, I'm always happy to see alternatives. I just didn't want anyone else to think it was a TH.

After mocking up the one in the OP with cardboard and tape, I don't think I'll be using them myself, they're just too big.

post #54 of 166 Old 01-29-10, 11:18 PM
Senior Shackster
mjg100

30 x 60 x 14.5 is pretty big.
post #55 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 12:06 AM
Shackster
publius

the horn that i suggested is ten cubic feet, which works out to about:

2.5 feet high, 3.33 wide, 1.33 deep.

that's not too big is it?
post #56 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 12:07 AM
Shackster
Mike

Thanks Kevin!
post #57 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 12:09 AM
Senior Shackster
Fred

Thanks for trying to make me feel better publius. I just don't have a clue what I'm doing yet and there are a whole lot more variables to play with here than other sub designs. I'm still struggling to see the relationships between various parameters. Its still fun though.

Quote:
After mocking up the one in the OP with cardboard and tape, I don't think I'll be using them myself, they're just too big.
That will be the case for most people. I have a lot of lattitude and still, most of what I have seen that reaches low is larger than I am willing to accomodate.
post #58 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 12:22 AM
Shackster
Mike

Yay - the pictures are here!!!

Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring.

While it is not a perfect driver for use in a tapped horn, the Shiva X2 is no slouch.

Cabinet is about 400 liters net, impulse response looks fairly well damped, phase is pretty good.

2.83V 2pi SPL

Impulse

Phase

SPL is limited by xmax to around 115 @ 500 W, 2pi, so it should do reference levels in room. I'd suggest a highpass near 14 Hz if you listen loud. There is no such thing as a perfect corner is my house (best I can get is 1pi), so add 5 dB - you'll probably get near 120 @ 1m in room, probably 110-115 at your couch before running out of xmax. I am not sure what the mechanical limit is, so I stopped here.

500 W Excursion

Experience building and measuring several tapped horns tells me that the sharp spike at 56 Hz will either be greatly attenuated or not present at all in the real world. I have also learned that poly batting placed appropriately will significantly attenuate the 10 dB step in response above 70 Hz, but the best placement is arrived at through trial and measurements.

With appropriately placed batting, and a proper crossover frequency and slope, this should have a usable bandwidth of 15 to 100 Hz.

I'm working on a folding pattern, I have several in mind. My Sketchup abilities are pretty light compared to some of these guys.

Here is my general idea for a fold:

Folded like this, the cabinet will be approximately 4.5' high, 2.5' wide, and 1.5' deep.

I have the tools to construct this and measure the results reasonably accurately.

Last edited by littlemike; 01-30-10 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Trying to make the pictures show up! They are there in the preview!
post #59 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 12:46 AM
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
It is just speculation on my part. You won't know how low it will go in-room unless you specify placement and actually measure it with the boundaries, corners etc...

I have never managed better than 1pi (+6 dB), even in a corner, but I have an old house. My in-room response is always uglier than a groundplane measurement

Once again I don't know. It is just a simulation and I don't know how accurate HR models the actual results. You might be able to acoustically damp some of those ripples or they may be swamped by the room issues. The bottom line is you would need to build and measure.

That is the only way to know. The ones I have built and measured typically do not show the sharp spikes, but do show the rising response. Typically, the ripples in the passband are there, and the magnitude is similar, as are the peaks and dips, but at a lesser magnitude. If you're accurate with your modeling building, and measuring, the frequencies are usually really close to the predicted values. Properly placed damping material works wonders.

Sure... there are situations that are right for any tool. That is the nature of the beast and every solution isn't going to be right for every person/build. It depends on what your build skills are, where your size constraints are and what you feel comfortable building. This goes for any sub, horn or otherwise but the larger you build it and the more dependent its output is upon room boundaries, the less flexibility you will have in maximizing the listening position FR. That is just the nature of the beast so you have to think through the complete solution.

No silver bullets here, just more math and physics, and a whole heap of compromises. The right driver in the right tapped horn makes an amazing subwoofer as the effects of these compromises are minimized. I am still on a quest for the right driver....

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Comments inserted above in bold
post #60 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 10:43 AM
Shackster
John

For under 300L, a front loaded horn is better at 20hz than at 15Hz:

2Pi, 2.83V in, Offset Driver front loaded horn using lilmike's specs from the above hornresp window...the 15Hz horn gives up output to get the extension in such a small enclosure size....

Although hornresp gives a sub-300L figure for these horns, I always add ~25% to that for wood volume before I begin folding.

Kevin, if there is a chance you'd be interested in me folding up either of these two, let me know. A tapped horn may be able to dig better to 15Hz, and that's why lilmike is here...I am not as good at tapped design as I am with front-loaded designs...

JSS