Shiva Tapped Horn - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 10:26 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

Re: Shiva Tapped Horn

I'm messing around with hornresp now, but if I'm doing it right I've got a ~15 cubic foot enclosure with a 13 hz lower knee with a single shiva. I've got some tweaking to do on it but it's looking pretty promising as a tapped horn. It would yield about 90 db at the lower knee with 2.83 volts in 1/2 space. We'll see if I can get it worked out. Now getting it folded in a decent way will be another story... I haven't tried to mock up the full horn before. Hoping it will work, but if not I'll try again.

I also tried messing around with a dual shiva tapped horn, but that got way too large. If I get the single driver shiva down I'll mess with the dual driver one to see if I can get it down to a more acceptable size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 166 Old 01-30-10, 10:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Fred

Quote:
littlemike wrote: View Post
You're on the right track, you can use a longer throat segment to kill that 60 Hz dip too.

Don't know if you have seen these over at AVS, they might help:

Simple Offset Driver HornResp Tutorial

Simple Tapped Horn Tutorial using Hornresp

Hey - waitaminute - wasn't this some sort of design contest???

Here I am helping my competition.....
I've seen those two posts and refer back frequently. I would be lost without them. Thanks!

Dude, helping me is like stepping out of your Ferrari to help me fix the flat on my 1972 VW van. It will keep me going, but I'm not going to catch up.

Throat would be L12/L32?
post #83 of 166 Old 01-31-10, 02:40 PM
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
fredk wrote: View Post
I've seen those two posts and refer back frequently. I would be lost without them. Thanks!

Dude, helping me is like stepping out of your Ferrari to help me fix the flat on my 1972 VW van. It will keep me going, but I'm not going to catch up.

Throat would be L12/L32?
You're welcome. Honestly, I think I learned more by trying to teach...

Come on now - everyone starts somewhere. I just tried to put all of the information into one place.

The distance from the small end to the driver is the throat, but I typed a dumb - meant to say MOUTH segment, which is the distance from the driver to the open end.

OOPS! Sorry for the confusion.

post #84 of 166 Old 01-31-10, 05:08 PM
Senior Shackster
Fred

OK. I've played with the throat section, but not the mouth.

Thanks.

Quote:
Honestly, I think I learned more by trying to teach...
Yeah, showing someone else forces you to think hard about what it is you think you know.
post #85 of 166 Old 01-31-10, 05:37 PM
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
fredk wrote: View Post
OK. I've played with the throat section, but not the mouth.

Thanks.

Yeah, showing someone else forces you to think hard about what it is you think you know.
And - the smart kids pull you aside and quietly point out the things you don't quite have a grasp on yet.

Seriously - without the people that helped me, that thread would have a fraction of the value it does.

I'm actually still listening to that little sub. Think I have the gains about right now - probably won't bottom the drivers out during big kabooms any more.
post #86 of 166 Old 02-01-10, 02:53 AM
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post

We are going to have to do some Anarchy horns next.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Spent all evening workin' on em.....

That is one monster of a little driver!

Preliminary results suggest a pair of 4.5M long tapped horns loaded with Anarchy drivers placed in corners will do over 115 dB from 25 Hz up with 100 watts per. Wall loading (1pi) will still get you over 110 dB with a pair.

The cabinets are about 2.5 cubic feet each.
post #87 of 166 Old 02-01-10, 09:42 AM
Kevin

Quote:
littlemike wrote: View Post
Spent all evening workin' on em.....

That is one monster of a little driver!

Preliminary results suggest a pair of 4.5M long tapped horns loaded with Anarchy drivers placed in corners will do over 115 dB from 25 Hz up with 100 watts per. Wall loading (1pi) will still get you over 110 dB with a pair.

The cabinets are about 2.5 cubic feet each.
Yea.... it is a little beast of a driver. The size/bandwidth/output equation is very attractive.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #88 of 166 Old 02-01-10, 09:49 AM
Shackster
John

Here's a decent 1st try: 33"x33"x20". It can be refolded to be a taller box than just square on one side...

The Shiva really gets to flex it's muscles in a bigger box, though. Here are corner loaded, Xmax limited outputs for the horn above, and one more optimized for the Shiva Driver (but 120 liters larger):

The larger horn in grey.

Before I dimension this guy up and draw plans, I have to know if this size and shape would be acceptable....

JSS
post #89 of 166 Old 02-01-10, 10:55 AM
Kevin

Quote:
maxmercy wrote: View Post
Here's a decent 1st try: 33"x33"x20". It can be refolded to be a taller box than just square on one side...

The larger horn in grey.

Before I dimension this guy up and draw plans, I have to know if this size and shape would be acceptable....

JSS
Stretch it tall so that it can go in a corner and I'd give it the thumbs up. Imagine a corner specific sub that is designed to go left/right corners without taking up a large footprint. It literally gets built into the room and you could drywall over it. Leave an access panel to get to the sub. Keep in mind standard 4x8 material dimensions for cutting panels.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #90 of 166 Old 02-01-10, 03:29 PM
Shackster
Mike

You want me to look at a similar form factor for the tapped horn fold too?

Sort of a minimal-footprint approach?