UPDATED (w/pics) Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build... - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 112 Old 02-27-10, 07:46 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: ***** UPDATED (w/pics) ****** Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...

Nice! I was going to ask about stuffing acoustic material into the box, but see you already addressed this in your previous post.

Very excellent work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 112 Old 02-27-10, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
talunceford

Send a message via MSN to talunceford

Thanks! The acoustic foam that I am going to use is this.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-516
post #43 of 112 Old 02-28-10, 02:17 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Mate I have to say again and again, that's up there with the quality of commercial subs mate. Those ports look awesome. I can't believe the workmanship of your bracing aswell.

cheers

Graham

post #44 of 112 Old 02-28-10, 03:44 AM
Elite Shackster

I'm quite surprised how well the flaring has turned out, no offence intended. Its not something I would have ever considered trying, but looking at the results you have achieved I would actually consider trying it now.

Nice work, I'm enjoying keeping up with the progress of your build.
post #45 of 112 Old 02-28-10, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
talunceford

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Mate I have to say again and again, that's up there with the quality of commercial subs mate. Those ports look awesome. I can't believe the workmanship of your bracing aswell.

cheers

Graham
Quote:
I'm quite surprised how well the flaring has turned out, no offence intended. Its not something I would have ever considered trying, but looking at the results you have achieved I would actually consider trying it now.

Nice work, I'm enjoying keeping up with the progress of your build.

Thanks Graham and Moonfly!

The box is the farthest thing from perfect, but for me, this is one of the best builds I have done to date. The ports will consume quite a bit of build time, but I think they will be well worth the effort. Like I said before, I had no idea how the ports would turn out, honestly I didn't think it would work, but using the technique that I described below will give you results like I got. Now, granted, I didn't show ALL of the attempts at making a port, because well they were horrible! LOL! I guess I could show some pics of what will happen if you don't follow the steps I listed. The biggest thing that you can do do make sure that your ports turn out well, is have patience. Heat the pipe in small sections, and twist the pipe initially before you start applying lots of pressure. Just twist it enough to get the edges to fold outward. Once you have that started, start applying pressure, LOTS OF PRESSURE! I have an idea of a different way of applying pressure, but I need to think about it more before I decide to try it. I will let everyone know if it works....

Thanks again everyone

Last edited by talunceford; 02-28-10 at 11:00 AM.
post #46 of 112 Old 03-05-10, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
talunceford

Well all the parts are in. Will have pics tonight!
post #47 of 112 Old 03-05-10, 04:37 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Cool, can't wait.
cheers

Graham
post #48 of 112 Old 03-05-10, 04:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment we have all been waiting for . . . . . . . . . .
post #49 of 112 Old 03-05-10, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
talunceford

Here is the equipment.... no pics of the enclosure as of yet.... still lotsa work to do yet on the box itself. Was gone a couple days this week to a school board meeting in OKC, so there went two evenings of work time. Anyway......
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010189_sm.jpg  

post #50 of 112 Old 03-07-10, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
talunceford

Well, more work done today. Most of the work was concentrated on the port construction. One thing learned today is that pipe clamps work the best for compressing the heated pipe. Also too, if you get a bulge in the pipe, stop, pull the pipe off, reheat and start over. The bulge will go away if you reheat the pipe. I had my dad take some pics of me performing a flare to show you guys how the process goes. I also included some pics of the mold itself.
One of the other items installed today was the neutronix connection. It is a pro-audio connection for power amps, which works out great for the passthrough connection into the enclosure from the amp itself. I ordered it from parts express.
I painted the bottom trim board as well. I wasn't completely satisfied with the finish of it. Some blemishes can be seen. I think I will sand those areas down some more, add some filler and re-paint it.
I also test fit all of the components to make sure that they fit properly. Which they did. The one major problem that I came across was mounting the amp. When I attached the amp box to the enclosure itself, I drilled my mount holes in the EXACT spot that the amp needed. So I had to chip out the bondo, remove the screws, redrill new holes and replace the screws. Once I did that, the amp fit perfect. All the holes already drilled of course LOL!
Anyway, that is all I can think of ATM. If I think of anything else, I will post it. Enjoy the pics.