UPDATED (w/pics) Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build... - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 112 Old 03-07-10, 01:01 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System
Re: ***** UPDATED (w/pics) ****** Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...

great idea on the port flare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 112 Old 03-07-10, 01:12 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

That is really impressive stuff. If I ever do another ported sub with round ports I will get you to knock me some up and send them to the UK. Only joking, don't panic.

Great mate though.

Graham
post #53 of 112 Old 03-08-10, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
talunceford

Send a message via MSN to talunceford

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
That is really impressive stuff. If I ever do another ported sub with round ports I will get you to knock me some up and send them to the UK. Only joking, don't panic.

Great mate though.

Graham
HAHAHAHA! The ports do take time. Pipe clamps DO work the best, I can attest to that!. Seriously though, if you want some, I'd have to figure out what it would cost, but honestly, anyone can do it. It's not THAT tough. It just takes patience.

post #54 of 112 Old 03-08-10, 08:41 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Ah! patience is something I was never born with unfortunately. Can never wait gotta have it now is my policy.

cheers

Graham
post #55 of 112 Old 03-13-10, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
talunceford

Hello All!

Today was a very productive day in that, it finally came to life! I will get to the details in a bit. Well, my buddy James and I worked on the sub pretty much all day long. We got all of the ports done, and the screw(pipe) clamps worked great, just like we hoped. Just about everything is ready to go on the box. By saying that I mean I am just about ready to apply veneer. I still have to do some work to the peanut board. I applyed some bondo to the routered edge of the peanut board and still have to fine sand it, primer it and paint it. When I do that, I will also shoot the box as well. I included some pics of all the work done today. Once the speaker wire was completed, James and I mounted the speakers in the box. We mounted the amp and made all of the necessary connections. The speakers are wired in series (dual 4 ohm) to get an 8 ohm load. Both speakers are then wired into a parallel connection to the amp to get a 4 ohm load. Each speaker will theoretically be receiving 512 watts. The speakers are rated at 600 watts RMS. Perfect. Once everything was mounted and wired we hooked up my Blackberry via a 1/8" to RCA adapter cable. Here is where it gets NASTY!!!... In a good way....

The sub hits like a sledgehammer... at ALL frequencies! The lower the better. You set the crossover at 40hz and it is scary how low it gets. At one point I was playing some Opeth (yeah, I'm a metal head). The song being "Beneath The Mire". The reason I like this song is because it has some very articulated double kick drum work, that and being a drummer myself, I love it. My dad was standing out on his back porch about 150 feet away from the shed and he thought there was a heli flying over. Now some of you might think, "oh thats not that great" you also have to realize too that the sub was being played in a 30x40 shed, 150 feet away...... Yeah, pretty incredible for 2 12's. One note, this box plays flat, and there were no dead spots in frequency reproduction that I could audibly hear. Like I said before, the lower the box played, the better it sounded. Makes me feel really good about my design.

The acoustic foam that I bought is WELL WORTH IT!!! Man that stuff works phenomenally! It tightened the sound of the box up SIGNIFICANTLY. Not boomy at all. Before the foam it sounded like it was very boomy, open and had some noticeable reverb in the box. After applying the foam, it was GONE! Buy the stuff, it works wonders. You can buy it at parts express. Just do a search for acoustic foam. I bought the 1 1/2" stuff. Comes in 24"x18" sheets. Eight sheets completed the box.

CONSTRUCTION NOTE:
Make sure to let the epoxy dry completely (24hrs) before mounting speakers. When we were removing the speakers, one of the mounting nuts (T-nuts), broke lose from the wood. It took near an hour to remove the nut.

Ok, I'm beat, I can't think of a whole lot more ATM. I will post more if I think about it. Next weekend I will try to finish up the peanut board and start on the veneer.

Here are the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010107a_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010109_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010111_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010114_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010118_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010119_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010120_sm.jpg  

UPDATED (w/pics)  Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...-p1010116_sm.jpg  

post #56 of 112 Old 03-14-10, 05:31 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Hi mate,

Looks good as usual. Did you double up the acoustic foam or single. I put a single layer just around the driver and not at the bottom of my sub so I was wondering if I should have put it at the bottom part as well. (Sorry to jump your thread)

What are your thoughts.

When do you think you will be getting some graphs for us to look at?

I took some mearurements the other day and my duals are co located and I am getting a full 6db from 10 to 30hz, then it levels out. Yum Yum.

cheers

Graham
Attachments
post #57 of 112 Old 03-14-10, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
talunceford

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Hi mate,

Looks good as usual. Did you double up the acoustic foam or single. I put a single layer just around the driver and not at the bottom of my sub so I was wondering if I should have put it at the bottom part as well. (Sorry to jump your thread)

What are your thoughts.

When do you think you will be getting some graphs for us to look at?

I took some mearurements the other day and my duals are co located and I am getting a full 6db from 10 to 30hz, then it levels out. Yum Yum.

cheers

Graham
Hey Graham,

I just put a single layer. Typical thickness for deadening. I will try and get some measurements some time this week, maybe. I only put deadening on the sidewalls, and the back of the enclosure. I did not deaden the mounting face. Nice looking build you have going!
post #58 of 112 Old 03-14-10, 09:07 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Hi there,

My builds are finished, well all except for veneering. I was wondering whether acoustic foam needed to go all inside the box or just where the driver is. Looking forward to your finished sub mate.

cheers

Graham
post #59 of 112 Old 03-14-10, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
talunceford

Hey Graham,

I'd do the entire enclosure.
post #60 of 112 Old 03-14-10, 10:35 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I might some more when I do the veneering and take the drivers out.

cheers

Graham