3 Eminence 3015LF bass modules - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 57 Old 08-05-10, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

3 Eminence 3015LF bass modules

Thought I'd start a new thread since the design is more or less finalized now.

I'm making three bassmodules for my LCR channels. Hoping to cover 40-300 or thereabouts.

Ricci came up with an enclosure for the drivers, and they model beautifully for my use:
original thread

Slot port, 46w x 8h x 21.6cm

They will be driven by Behringer EP4000, they get one channel each. I have three amps. One channel for my Klipsh KL-650THX mains and one for the Emmy for each LCR. EQ and crossover duties by a Behringer DCX2496.

Hoping to get some more midbass punch, and offload my LLT sonotubes a little. Maybe I won't even need the LLTs for music. (I'll still use them, most likely). The bassmodules have a potentioal 132dB at 500W each, so I'm hoping the Klipsch mains will keep up.

Ordered the drivers from Parts Express, but since shipping from the states is so slow it'll be a while before I get started. I'll get the amps and DCX before that, so I can start optimizing the mains while I wait!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by atledreier; 09-05-10 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 08-06-10, 06:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System
Re: 3 Eminence 3015LF bass modules

So chest pounding midbass modules. Nice! What do you have for subs?
post #3 of 57 Old 08-07-10, 05:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Michael

Pictures...Now...

Michael

post #4 of 57 Old 08-08-10, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Hehe.

No pictures yet, the drivers are currently in Fedex Paris.

I have dual Soundsplinter RL-p15 LLT sonotubes, they are doing reference down to 13Hz, so I'm fine in the deep bass department.

post #5 of 57 Old 08-10-10, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Quick question on building materials for the boxes.

Do I want to do them in MDF, which is nice to work with, or plywood, which can be a bit fiddly?

post #6 of 57 Old 08-10-10, 06:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Michael

It depends on the look you want. Just make sure you double up the baffle, and put lots of bracing in the box. I like to use MDF for the inner layer, and ply for the outer layer, with solid wood for the edges on the baffle.

Michael
post #7 of 57 Old 08-10-10, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

They will never be visible, I'm putting them behind my screen, so looks is no concern. But doing dual material baffle is sure to have a benefit to break up resonance. Good call.

So if i want to flush mount the driver to the baffle I need a third layer, right?

post #8 of 57 Old 08-10-10, 07:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Glen

No expert here, but I don't think three layers is necessary, particularly if it is "/19mm material and well braced. I really want to hear your opinion(and REW) once you complete it. I have a similar setup, but the 12" drivers won't play nice higher up like the eminence.

post #9 of 57 Old 08-10-10, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I'm planning on using 22mm MDF for the inner layer and braces.

The slot port will form part of the brace, I think. Haven't really thought about the box design yet, just the overall dimensions, primarily to minimize material waste.

post #10 of 57 Old 08-10-10, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Design sketch.

Wonder if that brace and port arrangement will work?