2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: 2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs

Bambino,

I used dulux primer and undercoat followed by JAPLAC gloss black enamel paint applied with a gloss roller.

It looks ok I think. When I add the back piece it will effectively darken the port inside.

Ive got to wait until friday to get some more tins off paint. The plan is wet sand the 2nd sub on thursday night followed by painting on friday night. Then on saturday I will be routing the top off each back pieces and then primer them on saturday too. Sunday I will add another layer off primer. I am off all next week so I will start painting with black paint on monday with finishing on tuesday/wednesday. The thursday I will be gluing the back piece to the sub and then cutout the speaker plate holes too. Then on friday I will add the final side to complete the box. During the week I want to cut the grill piece and paint inside the baffle piece with primer and black paint.

So all in all lots to do and a very busy week. I then need to veneer and then route the corners and apply quadrant at the weekend.

Gosh! sounds like a plan. My other half is off next week too so she will be helping me move the subs around as they are very heavy now.

cheers

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 04:56 AM
Elite Shackster

If you use a roller to apply paint, it will apply it thicker than spraying will, which makes it more susceptible to orange peel effect. Thin layers applied with spraying dry quicker and generally dont end up that strange effect, which some people actually like.

Like you say, these are ports and your not even going to be able to see most of it when its done, keeping it smooth is more for smooth air flow than aesthetics. As long as they look how you want were you can see, thats all I would worry about, then just make sure the bits you cant see are smooth and bobs your uncle
post #53 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

I think there are some areas like that. I have smoothed each coat down as much as I can. I did think about spraying which I did some tests with a spray can but I found that it cracked as I found it hard to an even coat. The best way as you said is to take it to a body shop but thats probably a bit overkill for the ports. They will in each far corner off the room so they will be out of sight and I will have at least one plugged and if I use the mid tune (17.5hz) which I will use most off the time, 2 ports will be plugged so you wont even see inside the ports.

cheers

Graham

post #54 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 09:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I know this is too late, but I used truck bed liner to paint my box, and it didn't turn out glossy. Looks like a rough flat black color.

Looking good Graham! You will have some massive bass on your hands once they are completed
Posted via Mobile Device
post #55 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 04:52 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

They look great know matter what. Like you said they are just ports and there is really no need to spend extra time to perfect them as i don't think anyone will be poking there noses in them to see how nice they look.
Can't wait for a finished product!
post #56 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Bambino,

I did another test with the wood glue yesterday. I sanded down a straight line with 80 grit paper so it was rough. I then applied the glue to both areas and do you know what. I went out in the garage tonight and hey presto! its glued. So atleast I know it will work. Phew!

cheers

Graham
post #57 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 05:20 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Glad to hear it. Gotta love it when stuff comes out your way.
post #58 of 193 Old 08-24-10, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Tell me about it. I was worried. But the other good thing is the slats that glue on the back piece have not been painted yet so they will glue to bare wood. Its just where the side bits glue to the back.

cheers

Graham
post #59 of 193 Old 08-28-10, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I bought two tins off enamel paint, a tin off mdf primer, a new sanding block and a 3M rough block to sand down the painted areas. I should have some more wet sanding paper coming today. So alls good and will be getting alot done today. Plan today is 1st route the tops off the rear pieces, then prime them and paint the last coat off black on the inside port. Then paint the rear pieces with black paint. Its starting to get darker earlier so I need to get as much done this week as humanily possible. The only thing I will have to wait for is finishing off the veneering as I need 3 more sheets off veneer.

cheers

Graham
post #60 of 193 Old 08-30-10, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

A little update time. I have now painted all pieces and have left the last coatdrying on the back pieces and main sub part on the second sub. Here are some pics to show before and after applying the compound polish. Its not quite piano black but its a good deal better and for my first attempt at this I think its turned out quite well. Its not perfect as there a some areas which I could have rubbed down a bit more but they are not really visible.

Later on or in the morning I will sand down the last bits and polish them. Tomorrow I should be able to glue the back on. That then just leaves the side and bottom to glue on. I then need to cut the holes for the speaker platers and then veneer. I have not decided what to do with the inside off the baffle. I may just veneer that instead off painting.

cheers

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-before-compound-polish.jpg  

2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-before-after-compound.jpg  

2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-after-compound-1.jpg  

2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-after-compound-2.jpg  

2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-after-compound-3.jpg