2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 193 Old 08-30-10, 06:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: 2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs

Looks good Graham. I know if it was me I would have a sub installed to try it out beofre I did any veneer!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 193 Old 08-30-10, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Hi Mike,

Just out off interest could I ask why. The reason I wasn't is because they are essentially the same as what I currently have bar they are bigger. The drivers will be in the same positions so the graphs should be the same or very similar. My main fear off bringing them in before I finish them is that I will end up leaving them in the house and not finishing them. If you know what I mean.

I am dying to find out how they sound but really want to finish them first.

cheers
graham
post #63 of 193 Old 08-30-10, 06:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

That's just me, I need to hear a sub a soon as the box is built. I used my IXL-18 subs for 6 months before the cabinets were finished so I know what you mean.

We're all in this together!

post #64 of 193 Old 08-30-10, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I think my other half would prefer I finished them as she is sick off the sight of paint and mdf shavings. LOL.

Thats my biggest trate is that I never finish a job I start so it will probably be safer for me to finish them first. I have enough bruises with just lugging the boxes around never alone some more from the missus.

I think these will sound better than the current ones and having the flexibility will give me something extra. It will be interesting to hear how each tune sounds especiall for music. I will also have the flexibility to go sealed too as I will buy 6 foam port blockers.

cheers

Graham
post #65 of 193 Old 08-31-10, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I have now put one off the backs on and have left it gluing to dry. I really don't know how I managed to lift it onto the table legs with the wood on it. Its really heavy now. A couple off pics. Not very good though but I thought I would put them on to show you how its taking shape. The back pieces didn't come out too good but you can't see it now the ports are closed in with the back piece fixed. I used a different primer for the back pieces and wonder if that has caused the flat areas.

Thankfully it looks alot better than the pics show.

cheers
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-inside-port.jpg  

2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-side-picv.jpg  

2 x 15 cu ft FIQ18 multi tuned ported subs-side-pic-2.jpg  

post #66 of 193 Old 08-31-10, 10:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Sheesh...Your build is taking almost as long as mine Graham.
post #67 of 193 Old 08-31-10, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Ricci

I am puttin the back on the other sub now. I have just put the side and bottom on as a test and these are HUGE!!! Its amazing that an extra 4 cu ft can make so much difference. I now can't lift these on my own. My missus is now lending a hand. Should be funny to say the least.

Tomorrow I will be putting the sides on and then just the bottom. Then clean up and then cut the holes for the speaker plates and job mostly done.

Just the veneering bit which I am a bit worried about doing.

cheers

Graham
post #68 of 193 Old 08-31-10, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I am really disappointed with the back pieces as they have come out pretty bad. They are really flat and cloudy looking. What can I do to get rid off this. I was going to paint the top part again and wet sand.

I have tried more compound polish but it just wont polish out.

Any advise would be appreciated. The rest off it is turned out cool.

cheers
Graham
post #69 of 193 Old 08-31-10, 02:33 PM
Elite Shackster

It all looks good to me in the pics graham, not sure where your issue is. Another pic of it might help?
post #70 of 193 Old 08-31-10, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

Its just one off the back pieces. I will take a pic tomorrow but it looks dull and the more compound polish I add the whiter in appearance it gets. Even when I add some water and wipe with a clean cloth is goes cloudy. I was going to try and paint that area and wet sand. With the side on you can't see anything on the good sub.

I will take a pic to show you how big they are. I think they are going to look bigger when I get them in the house. LOL.

cheers

Graham