Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Ported RL-P 15 Project

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Geoff St. Germain 
#1 ·
I'm getting pretty close to finishing my box for a SS RL-P 15D2. It is a 3.5 cu ft box tuned to 24 Hz. The box is two layers of 19 mm MDF with an outer covering of premium maple 1/2" plywood. All of the edges and the area around the port are solid oak. This wood scheme matches the wood scheme of our movie room. I wanted to build a larger unit, but there are serious WAF concerns and this is the largest box I could get past my wife. The outside dimensions are 24" x 24" x 21.5".

For amplification I'm considering the Crown XTi 2000. It has tons of power, enough to add another subwoofer or go to an IB setup once I'm posted next year and buy a house and it has programmable DSP with EQ and filtering.

I'll put some pictures in subsequent posts.

#16 ·
Ok, the enclosure is finished. I'm just waiting to order the drivers. Mike should get back to me tonight with the final quote and I'll send him off the funds for two RL-P15 D2s. The amplifier will arrive tomorrow, so once the drivers show up I'll be ready to start up.

I've been playing around with some modeling and here is what I've come up with so far.

It is low passed at 80 Hz with a second order Butterworth and high passed at 20Hz with a second order Butterworth as well. There is 3 dB of boost at 20 Hz.

Any thoughts? I'm pretty new at this so I'd appreciate any and all input.

#23 ·
Well, Mike sent me an email that the drivers are on the way. I have a second RL-P 15 D2 coming that I haven't entirely decided what to do with yet. I may build an LLT type enclosure for it to do a comparison... who knows.

I just wanted to mention that I'm thoroughly impressed with Mike's customer service. I've been dealing with a couple of other sub manufacturers and Mike has been far and away the most responsive and easiest to deal with and was very fast at getting back to me (sometimes within an hour).

#24 ·
Thanks again for the compliments Geoff. Your enclosure is lookin' mighty fine - quite similar to the first box I ever built for my first-generation RL-p15 back in 2004 comin' in at 3.5 cu ft net @ 25 Hz. It defeinitely delivered tons of punch and had not failed to impress a single visitor, though ideally I would prefer larger and lower tuned for that super deep bass. You gotta make do with what you got though, and keepin' the other half happy is a task all its own! :innocent:

Comin' from a 10" driver, indeed there is little doubt you will be blown away! :T

#29 ·
I did. She sounds great! I haven't really tried it out at anything approaching full power. This is my first sub that's bigger than a 10" and it's flat out amazing how much output there is without much cone movement at all. I have another enclosure in the works for the second one.

#28 ·
Geoff, that is an very nice looking box - I'm jealous. Terrific bracing and great finish.
(I can't seem to get up of my rear-end and finish my enclosure for my dual RL-p 15" D4 sealed sub.), but I do have a single in a ported enclosure doing more than enough for me as it is.

Can you tell me what you are using for fill? it looks like carpet underlay - which I think should work quite well.

Ben (In Pinawa)

#30 ·
Thanks a lot! Yeah, the fill is some carpet underlay I had lying around. I still have to play around with the levels and get this thing matched with my mains. Right now I think that I'm running it a little hot compared with the mains. I still have to run do a full setup with my new Onkyo AVR so I'll probably leave it for a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.