Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 177 Old 02-12-07, 11:05 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Re: Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project...

Quote:
Sure, I might save a little money, but that's not my objective here.
money is NOT a problem

Its 3/4" MDF thick enough? I guess a lot of bracing is needed!!

Don't forget you have to count for all the braces inside of the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 177 Old 02-12-07, 11:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Paul

I am not sure I follow everything in this thread, but in looking at the photo of your recliner, when in the reclined position it appears to be ~6" from the wall. Since this is a purpose built piece can you build the box the height of the recliner. When looked at from the side it would look like a square with a truncated triangle on top.

You would have a nice 6" shelf that you could glue some knick knack's to when done.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project...-recliner-sub.jpg  

Last edited by Sonnie; 02-13-07 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Picture didn't come out right...
post #13 of 177 Old 02-12-07, 11:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
If you can help with what I've got to work with... I would greatly appreciate it...
Fine, fine

Well 325 liters is plenty for a single RLp-15. An established design that many have used is 260 effective liters with a 6" diameter port that is 30" long and 700-1000 watts. Use a roundover on the outer layer of MDF at the port opening to create a flare, the larger the roundover bit, the better. 3/4" is common, though you can get up to 1.5", possibly larger. If you are willing to go the extra mile, you can create a flare for the interior port opening by cutting a couple donuts with the same ID as the port and a couple with the same ID as the OD of the port. The larger hole donuts will be glued to the port to meet the end flush, the smaller hole donuts will essentially lengthen the port - put a rounover on these outer donuts and you have an internal flare. This design is for the D2.

Your bracing will be the main variable, but I'd imagine ~300 raw liters would end up being pretty close to 260 effective all said and done.

post #14 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Actually Paul... you may very well have something there. Although I'm terrible with angle cuts like that ... I can accomplish something similar to what you suggest in a different way. I've been needing more DVD storage space so why not go ahead and build a couple of rows of storage on top of the sub cabinet.

post #15 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Rodny... what you got on the agenda for Wednesday... we got a really big box to build...
post #16 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 02:28 AM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Paul's sloping panel design will help to break up internal box resonances and should be stronger than a parallel-sided, L-shaped box.

The front to back depth is also rather short in your L-shaped box.

Volume is greater with any chosen length with the sloping panel box than the L-shaped box.

If you can't build it yourself then get help.

Shame about the IB.
post #17 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I'm sure Rodny can build it, although I'm thinking we could angle it from the bottom all the way to the top.
post #18 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 10:09 AM
Senior Shackster
Paul

If you take your time, use a skil saw, some scrap wood and a couple of clamps as your guide you should be able to cut the sides out ok. That only leaves the bevel cuts. Not being a carpenter/cabinet maker I would just cut my sides, front, back & top, tack it together, and using some scraps use trial & error to get the bevel cuts right.

Be careful with what you put on top of the sub, you don't want a rattle trap, or things vibrating off.

Paul
post #19 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I actually did pretty good the last sub box I made for the car... it had an angled front and a strange build to say the least...

post #20 of 177 Old 02-13-07, 11:43 AM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

On a slightly related note..why couldn't you place the drivers along that back wall, so that the rest of the garage area would be the "IB". It looks like it is big enough to me...