Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project... - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 177 Old 02-19-07, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project...

I think we have our final dimensions:

I believe I'll go with one solid box and seal off each enclosure.

Figuring about 30 liters per box for the drivers and the bracing, that should give us about 265-270 effective liters per box/driver, which is what I believe we were shooting for.

Does this appear it will work okay?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 Old 02-19-07, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

If I've calculated correctly this will yield about a 14Hz tune with this net volume.
post #63 of 177 Old 02-19-07, 09:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Do you guys think this will work ?

Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project...-slide1.gif

Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project...-slide1.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #64 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 06:30 AM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

It's looking good. Now all you need is NASA to deliver it to the launch pad.
post #65 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 01:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

If the goal is to treat them as two seperate enclosures, I would do just that, keep them as two seperate enclosures, otherwise, there really is no benefit to having a divider. Two seperate enclosures will be easier to move and allow some fine movement between the position of the two if need be. If you'd prefer to keep it as a single piece, I'd eliminate the dividing wall and just make it another brace, making it a single sub with two drivers.

Aside from that, I'd maybe position the port a bit higher so as not to obstruct the vent of the drivers and shave a bit more material off the braces around the port if possible. Ryan used what I believe were some 1"x1"s running the length of all 90 degree corners as further bracing, and since you have no horizontal bracing, I'd definitely recommend using some 1"x1"s from brace to brace horizontally at the top, bottom, and in the middle of the back wall. On the front angled wall, you could do the same though it wouldn't have to be in the corners. See attached.

post #66 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Whether it's one unit or two... there's really not going to be room for movement.... not even fine movement. It has only one position with no options for even moving it one inch left, right, back or forward. This was one of the reasons I would rather have one unit, so that I wouldn't have to worry about keeping the two units separated or either have to connect the two together and having a seam.

The purpose of separating the tow inside via the divider is to allow two ports, one on each end to keep a port near each driver.

Is there any benefit to having the two in the single enclosure with one port vs. two separate enclosures with a port in each enclosure?
post #67 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 03:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

You can have the interior space open, making it one sub, and still use the two ports. The drivers will couple with and "activate" both ports equally as long as they are the exact same length. That said, a single 9" port would still be better than two 6" ports in terms or corss sectional area.....but on the other hand, the two 6" ports will allow for a slightly lower tuning when keeping first resonance in mind.

post #68 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 05:08 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Sonnie!! are you sure we can get the box inside the HT??:holycow:

post #69 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
You can have the interior space open, making it one sub, and still use the two ports. The drivers will couple with and "activate" both ports equally as long as they are the exact same length. That said, a single 9" port would still be better than two 6" ports in terms or corss sectional area.....but on the other hand, the two 6" ports will allow for a slightly lower tuning when keeping first resonance in mind.
Just to clarify... it's okay to stay with the same size volume and ports that we have now, but open up the center divider making the interior all combined volume with no sealed divider?

Quote:
Rodny Alvarez wrote: View Post
Sonnie!! are you sure we can get the box inside the HT??:holycow:
"we"... ??? I am excited that you are willing to come to the house and help me install it... It will fit, but we'll have to move the recliners out of the way. No doubt it will be extremely heavy, but you are all muscle...
post #70 of 177 Old 02-20-07, 06:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Like I said before... a possum or deer sandwich will be good.
Are you bringing the camera tomorrow?
Somebody is coming thursday to see the TV and the speakers!!!, if they buy something I will have money for the Toshiba XA2