Sonotube sub build x2 18hz (Peerless) - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 82 Old 12-22-10, 06:32 PM
Shackster

Re: Sonotube sub build x2 18hz (Peerless)

i think that would look nice, but cleaning that would be a pita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 82 Old 12-22-10, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

interesting point. might have to get one of those extendo fluffy duster thingy's. Don't mean to get all technical.
post #53 of 82 Old 12-22-10, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Here's pix of the glass. pretty basic. still figuring out how I'm going to do this. Got to let my mind wonder for a bit.

post #54 of 82 Old 12-23-10, 07:34 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Just wondering but do you think Grille magnets would have been strong enough to hold the top flat piece on?

I was just thinking if I did something very similar but with a very nice piece of burled wood on top I would want a very minimal amount of equipment to attach it. So I was thinking maybe a bunch of grille magnets would work.

And is that double sided tape holding the glass?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #55 of 82 Old 12-23-10, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

its just cork pieces holding the glass. I just put it there to take a picture. I'm redoing the whole top part of these I want a different look. those small strong magnets should work, might shake though depending how loud you turn it up. but seeing its the port side and no reason to take of the top plate you can just glue it on so there's no screws facing on the top side. just drill a hole half way through the wood so the dowels can fit snug into it. or if you screw it counter sink them thin fill the holes with wood putty then stain it. but wood filler never matches the wood itself exactly. or if you take the wood dust from cutting it then add some glue to it make your own wood filler with the same wood. so many choices. My mind never shuts up lol. hope that helps a little. I don't explain myself very well.
post #56 of 82 Old 12-23-10, 11:22 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Yah I understand your explanation. I will have a dual firing sonotube though so I will need top access. Thats why I was wondering. Love the build so far.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #57 of 82 Old 12-24-10, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

oh that will be sick man. I personally would recommend doing screws counter sunk and maybe do wooden buttons on top of them so you can still stain them, and pop them off if you need to get to the screws. If not that get a bigger magnet than the grill ones and make sure there strong then put a piece of felt between them so if it was to vibrate at certain Frequencies it wont rattle. Hope that helps and thank you for the compliments. These are one of my favorite builds so far. Next to my 15" TC-3000. just cause that sub was o so sick. LOL.
post #58 of 82 Old 12-26-10, 06:57 AM
Shackster
Mike

BhuddaX, many thanks for your inspired build progression with great pics. A reminder to me that I must do something with my IXL 18 driver thats gathering dust, rather than plans and action. Cheers, Merry Christmas, Mike.
post #59 of 82 Old 12-26-10, 02:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Great build with small footprint... very inspiring but takes a lot of patience...
post #60 of 82 Old 12-26-10, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Quote:
Seaxe wrote: View Post
BhuddaX, many thanks for your inspired build progression with great pics. A reminder to me that I must do something with my IXL 18 driver thats gathering dust, rather than plans and action. Cheers, Merry Christmas, Mike.
Those IXL 18's are sick you def should build something for that monster LOL. Thank you for all the compliments. this was my first Sonotube build and was quite nervous about it lol. But I think it turned out pretty good. except the top plate LOL. which I will be re doing with glass when my friend has time. so the re do of the top plate wont happen for a couple weeks so this build is on hold till them. unless I come up with something different which I do alot lol. OH AND I GOT A ROUTER FOR XMAS!!!! YAY. Finally be able to cut circles without a jig saw.