Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 69 Old 01-26-11, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube

Quote:
08op wrote: View Post
looking good so far,so do you think this made a vast improvment,compared to the factory box? i have one and if the wife wont let me spend money on a new sub i want to build a different box for mine.
I was thinking about this the other day... If you still have the RW-12d, you could probably make this work out pretty well. Since it has the digital controls on top, you could internally mount the amp and mount the digital control on the top giving you full control. You'll have to find a place on the bottom to extend the LFE input and power, but it would be a complete powered sub with a cool, functional display on top.

I'm not sure what the HPF is set at on the Klipsch amp, but I'd imagine it is low enough to work well.

Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 Old 01-26-11, 08:13 PM
Shackster

Quote:
yamahaSHO wrote: View Post
I was thinking about this the other day... If you still have the RW-12d, you could probably make this work out pretty well. Since it has the digital controls on top, you could internally mount the amp and mount the digital control on the top giving you full control. You'll have to find a place on the bottom to extend the LFE input and power, but it would be a complete powered sub with a cool, functional display on top.

I'm not sure what the HPF is set at on the Klipsch amp, but I'd imagine it is low enough to work well.

Just a thought...
i also was thinkin about that but,so i can extend just speaker wire,doing a seprate box for the amp and control, puttin it closer to my rec so i can adjust it with my harmony.. but it's on hold till i can find a place around me that carries sono, and wantin a pj setup first.
post #23 of 69 Old 01-28-11, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Did a quick mockup. The wood dowels aren't going to be used as I have some custom machined aluminum ones being made for me. I think I'll anodize them the same color as the driver. As it sits, before the top grille, it is 40" tall.

post #24 of 69 Old 01-29-11, 12:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

looks nice. and the anodized aluminum rod will look sick.
post #25 of 69 Old 02-10-11, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Legs are in... Just have to find someone locally that can anodize them. Here's a quick progress pic.

post #26 of 69 Old 02-12-11, 08:31 PM
Shackster

That will look awesome with the legs anodized the same color. Too bad the driver will be hidden from view. Because between the legs, the nice looking endcap, and the good looks of the driver it's going to look like something you would want to show off!
post #27 of 69 Old 02-13-11, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
HTNut42 wrote: View Post
That will look awesome with the legs anodized the same color. Too bad the driver will be hidden from view. Because between the legs, the nice looking endcap, and the good looks of the driver it's going to look like something you would want to show off!
Thanks, I know it's going to be hidden, but I gotta do something with the end cap, right? I've had several people here locally tell me I should keep the legs silver... Decisions....

Got the wood stained and poly'd. I'm going to give it a few days to set up and then glue the ends and throw some weight on them.

And the part that that looks nice, but won't be seen...

post #28 of 69 Old 02-13-11, 06:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Looks very nice. I like the stain with the aluminum spacers.
post #29 of 69 Old 02-19-11, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

I've got a little more forward progress on the sub. The end caps are done and one is installed. I sanded down the spiral overlapping on the exterior of the tube the put on 5 coats of polyurethane to seal and strengthen the tube. The exterior actually turned out very nice and will be easy to cover in fabric now without anything showing through.

I currently have it drying from applying polyurethane to the interior of th tube. I wanted to seal it from any moisture/humidity and the added strength is nice. I'll likely do 5 coats here as well. I tried pulling of the plastic lining inside, but it wasn't coming off very easy and it wanted to pull more and more paper with it as I went along. I was able to get it off on one end, but for the other end, I just sanded it off as it was easier.

Here are a few pics:

Before sanding and coating.

After.

As of now.

I took this pic to reference size

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 02-20-11 at 06:39 PM.
post #30 of 69 Old 02-22-11, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Now I got that I have the interior of the tube all sealed up and the end caps glued on. Both my 1/2" plywood boards (top/bottome) didn't exactly center up with the MDF and I knew it would give me some more work when I got to this point.

Because I'm trying to make this look like my SVS, I only want to put a single layer of velvet on the sub and want it to be smooth. Since the endcaps both over hang one direction 1/16" (or less), I need some type of filler that will adhere to the polyurethane finish and glue, does anyone have recommendations for this? All I want to do is build it up and smooth it out into the tube so you wan't notice anything when the sock is on. I should have done like SVS and made the caps just slightly smaller than the OD of the tube and center it... I'd be only needing the sock at that point if I had.

I tried to use the glue to smooth it out... But that didn't turn out like I hoped.

As always, I love pics:

When I build another one, it'll be much faster, I've figured it all out now.