Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 69 Old 02-22-11, 03:21 PM
Shackster

Re: Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube

looking good still watching and waiting, hurry up!!!!!!! j/k cant wait to hear listenin impressions after its all sealed up and done. looking for sono around my area now but not having any luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 02-26-11, 02:41 AM
Shackster

Ooh! I'm going to rip off your idea! (I hope that''s okay)

I have a Klipsch RW-12D with a bad power supply. Plugged into a 220-110V transformer which was plugged into a German outlet with hot and neutral reversed (German plugs can go either way). Not sure how it matters, but it does apparently. Anyhow, I was hoping the OAudio amp would be a 1:1 swap as far as the mounting holes are concerned... it is not.

Soooooo... sure, I could get a piece of wood, fit it into the larger hole where the Klipsch amp went, cut a hole in it, and make it fit... but I want to DIY some 15" TCSound drivers into a LLT sonotube, and this would be great practice! (Never did a DIY sub before...)

Eagerly anticipating the finished product and measurements!
post #33 of 69 Old 02-26-11, 04:55 PM
Shackster
Rayo

Awesome build and very nice job!!!

post #34 of 69 Old 02-27-11, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
danlw wrote: View Post
Ooh! I'm going to rip off your idea! (I hope that''s okay)

I have a Klipsch RW-12D with a bad power supply. Plugged into a 220-110V transformer which was plugged into a German outlet with hot and neutral reversed (German plugs can go either way). Not sure how it matters, but it does apparently. Anyhow, I was hoping the OAudio amp would be a 1:1 swap as far as the mounting holes are concerned... it is not.

Soooooo... sure, I could get a piece of wood, fit it into the larger hole where the Klipsch amp went, cut a hole in it, and make it fit... but I want to DIY some 15" TCSound drivers into a LLT sonotube, and this would be great practice! (Never did a DIY sub before...)

Eagerly anticipating the finished product and measurements!
I think you'll like the sub MUCH better in a Sonosub build compared to the old port chuffing/creaking box.

Quote:
RayoVac wrote: View Post
Awesome build and very nice job!!!
Thank you. I'm currently filling some spots and sanding them down to ensure the fabric on the outside looks smooth and uniform when I put it on.
post #35 of 69 Old 03-01-11, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

We picked up the fabric today and the wife will be sewing and fitting the sock on Friday for me. I'm sending the base plate to eD for their coating and then it will be completely done!

Some teaser pics of a nearly finished product.

post #36 of 69 Old 03-02-11, 06:55 AM
Shackster

That looks awesome! You should put a $2999.95 price tag on it and tell everybody that's how much you paid for it, as it looks like something from a boutique store!

Some questions for you... where did you source the grill and the port? I could use something like that to get mine to look professional. I have a kid who is just over a year old, so I definitely want to put something over the top... I can't imagine what a collection of toys dropped inside the enclosure would do to the driver... My other fear is having a toy or something find it's way underneath the driver. I wonder if there is a way to surround the bottom of the sub... Perhaps make it with 8 legs, and stretch some speaker grill around it?
post #37 of 69 Old 03-02-11, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
danlw wrote: View Post
That looks awesome! You should put a $2999.95 price tag on it and tell everybody that's how much you paid for it, as it looks like something from a boutique store!

Some questions for you... where did you source the grill and the port? I could use something like that to get mine to look professional. I have a kid who is just over a year old, so I definitely want to put something over the top... I can't imagine what a collection of toys dropped inside the enclosure would do to the driver... My other fear is having a toy or something find it's way underneath the driver. I wonder if there is a way to surround the bottom of the sub... Perhaps make it with 8 legs, and stretch some speaker grill around it?
Haha, thanks. I'm trying to make it look like something you'd buy.

I got both the grille and port from Parts-Express. The grille is actually the same as SVS uses and I just happened to come across it when browsing the site. You can find the grille at http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=269-972. They have smaller sizes as well. The port is made by Precision Port and can be found at http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=268-352. They also have different diameters available.

As far as protecting the bottom where the sub is, you might try this: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ed-sono-3.html

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 03-02-11 at 02:24 PM.
post #38 of 69 Old 03-05-11, 02:26 AM
Shackster

Still looking better every time I come back here. Looks very professional! Glad that driver worked out better in the sonotube too. I've always wondered what a decent Klipsch sub driver would do in a DIY enclosure. I almost pulled the trigger on one of the 12" Klipsch buyout drivers Parts Express had on sale for a while. They were drivers for the subs that come with thier THX Ultra II set up. I just couldn't justify the $200 price tag for a 12" sub that may not perform well out of it's home though.
post #39 of 69 Old 03-05-11, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
HTNut42 wrote: View Post
Still looking better every time I come back here. Looks very professional! Glad that driver worked out better in the sonotube too. I've always wondered what a decent Klipsch sub driver would do in a DIY enclosure. I almost pulled the trigger on one of the 12" Klipsch buyout drivers Parts Express had on sale for a while. They were drivers for the subs that come with thier THX Ultra II set up. I just couldn't justify the $200 price tag for a 12" sub that may not perform well out of it's home though.
Thank you for the compliment!

I had high hopes for the driver, but was prepared to make it work with another driver if it didn't. My buddy and I gave it some work today and I really am impressed. When actually owned the RW-12d, I don't think I ever made the driver move as much as I've pushed this today. I'm still a little amazed at the excursion this driver has. With the RW-12d, when you really started making the driver move, it was always accompanied by other unwanted noises that made you think you were going to blow the sub.

I ran a CD of test tones I downloaded off of one of the acoustic panel sites (forget which one at the moment) which consists of 10hz on up... I played 10hz - 50hz tones through it many times today and at 15hz, it REALLY starts shaking things... ABSOLUTELY SHAKING things. Not only everything in the room (11.5' x 25'), but I went up stairs and over a room (not above the sub) and things on the granite dining room table were rattling, no joke. I think it might have been shaking things on the second floor as well.

I need to run this side-by-side with one of my SVS... My buddy seems to think that the Klipsch sono will give it a run for its money... He actually thinks it *might* be a tad better (I surprised him with the "Skadoosh" scene). I'll pick up an external sound card for my netbook and compare with REW.

I will have to say that although I didn't know any specs on the driver, I modeled it using the specs from an older Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 subwoofer as, aside from the basket, it seemed to be similar. It seems to have worked. I also think I'll do fine with a 300w BASH, so I'll order another as this one is currently on loan from one of my other subs.

I've been testing it in another room (minus the kid) without the other subs to break it in and get a feel for it. It's still missing the sock and grille... And the base plate needs finished, but I like it! I really need to play with sub positioning as right now, this subs sounds better in this room I have it in by itself, than my 2x SVS or 2x SVS + this sub in my theater (rooms are pretty much the same dimension).

post #40 of 69 Old 03-05-11, 04:31 AM
Shackster

Very nice! Glad to hear it is performing well, and hopefully I can get the same results.

Realtraps.com is the website that has the sweeps CD, if anybody is interested. Just be careful playing sine waves at high volumes for prolonged periods... you could melt the voice coil as sine waves are extremely stressful. If you want to play sine waves at the limits, give the driver breaks so it can cool down...