Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 69 Old 03-05-11, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube

Quote:
danlw wrote: View Post
Very nice! Glad to hear it is performing well, and hopefully I can get the same results.

Realtraps.com is the website that has the sweeps CD, if anybody is interested. Just be careful playing sine waves at high volumes for prolonged periods... you could melt the voice coil as sine waves are extremely stressful. If you want to play sine waves at the limits, give the driver breaks so it can cool down...
I let it run through it's cycles found on the disk. I run it through a few times adjusting the volume while watching the cone movement. It does each frequency 10 seconds at a time, so it doesn't spend a significant time powering the coil... Lots of movement from the cone should help with cooling as well.

I pulled out the SVS (PC12-NSD) from behind the screen, and tested one of them in the same spot as my build... I actually think my build got louder and shook the room more, but I'm also not afraid to turn up a $150 build compared to a $700 sub. I will take measurements at some point though.

I brought the wife down to look at the SVS and compare to my sub and she thinks making the sock look the same shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm hoping she'll make time for it tomorrow. For now, here's some comparison shots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 69 Old 03-05-11, 07:09 PM
Shackster

well done sir, well done
post #43 of 69 Old 03-08-11, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Well... I just need to get the base plate coated black and it'll be done! Here are a few pictures, but I'll take better ones once the base plate is complete.

I did develop a problem with the woofer though... I thought I heard a noise for a few seconds when a buddy and I were plaing some test tones, but it went away. We looked out the window and they were unloading a truck outside, so we thought it was that. For the next two days, the sub rocks like a crazy. I disconnect it, take it upstairs for my wife to use for making the sock, bring it back downstairs the next day, hook it up and it's rattling like crazy. I took the driver out and tested it in free air and it was still making the noise. I consider the woofer toast, but I can't see any physical damage. After pushing down on the woofer and feeling something rubbing the coil, I just start pushing it on differen parts of the woofer, different angles, etc... Finally I can't feel anything on the coil (but can if I push it in the other direction).

I tested the woofer again and there was no rattle. I put it back in and cranked it up and it sounded fine. I play softer music a little later and the noise is back, but just not as bad. I reached under an played with the woofer again and I'm back going again.

I'm not really sure what caused it as it kind of just appeared from nothing apparent. It's not a total loss as I have another spare, brand new Klipsch woofer sitting in a box and will swap in when the base plate is complete and I have a new BASH 300S with a 20hz HPF.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 03-08-11 at 10:51 PM.

post #44 of 69 Old 03-12-11, 08:50 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
yamahaSHO wrote:
Well... I just need to get the base plate coated black and it'll be done! Here are a few pictures, but I'll take better ones once the base plate is complete.

I did develop a problem with the woofer though... I thought I heard a noise for a few seconds when a buddy and I were plaing some test tones, but it went away. We looked out the window and they were unloading a truck outside, so we thought it was that. For the next two days, the sub rocks like a crazy. I disconnect it, take it upstairs for my wife to use for making the sock, bring it back downstairs the next day, hook it up and it's rattling like crazy. I took the driver out and tested it in free air and it was still making the noise. I consider the woofer toast, but I can't see any physical damage. After pushing down on the woofer and feeling something rubbing the coil, I just start pushing it on differen parts of the woofer, different angles, etc... Finally I can't feel anything on the coil (but can if I push it in the other direction).

I tested the woofer again and there was no rattle. I put it back in and cranked it up and it sounded fine. I play softer music a little later and the noise is back, but just not as bad. I reached under an played with the woofer again and I'm back going again.

I'm not really sure what caused it as it kind of just appeared from nothing apparent. It's not a total loss as I have another spare, brand new Klipsch woofer sitting in a box and will swap in when the base plate is complete and I have a new BASH 300S with a 20hz HPF.
You def. Blew the coil. Its starting to unwind.. it will still play but will have a rattling noise.. try the other sub and you will see it should be fine... I've heard this problem in a pt of car audio subs... good luck. Hope this helps
post #45 of 69 Old 03-12-11, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

As hard as I've pushed it since then, I'm doubting it's a blown coil.
post #46 of 69 Old 03-13-11, 07:09 PM
Shackster

How loud and for how long were you playing those test tones? Sine waves at high volumes stress a woofer far more than any movie content because it's continuous non-stop power. If you were playing the tones at -75 or -85, you're probably safe. But if you were SPL racing with the test tones...

If the speaker fails completely, it would be interesting to see what the coil looks like (which would mean you would have to cut the woofer and spider out)

Here's what a melted coil looks like...

post #47 of 69 Old 03-13-11, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

The really low stuff was played around -45 and gradually turned up as the frequency went up. I don't think my receiver will register -75 or -85. I think I was up to -30 to -25 by the time I was up to 45hz.

I've burnt coils before and neither of us (my buddy) smelled anything. I've been pushing this thing exteremly hard trying to make it fail and it hasn't. I can honestly I didn't think this Klipsch driver would have as much excursion as it has.
post #48 of 69 Old 03-13-11, 10:32 PM
Senior Shackster

It doesn't have to be melted. I've blown voice coils. They do seperate and unwind. It has a rattle when certain bass notes hit. I used to compete in spl comps.
post #49 of 69 Old 03-13-11, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

We'll know when I disect it, but I don't have any noises now and it will belch out great bass.
post #50 of 69 Old 03-14-11, 06:30 AM
Shackster

Woops, when I said -75 or -85, I meant dbs, not volume. I guess in volume, that would be -25 to -15, which would be 80db to 90db...

Too bad there's no non-destructive way to look at the voice coil...