Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 69 Old 04-18-11, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: Klipsch driver stuffed in a Sonotube

I finally got set up with REW today and took some measurements. I did some tests with and without the Anti-Mode. This room is completely untreated (it's not my theater) with lots of bare walls. This is also still using the "blown" sub. It works great for the most part, but the noise comes back every now and again and I have to move the driver around to get it to go away. I'll replace when soon.

No EQ:

Anti-Mode 8033c correction

SPL comparison

I will run the tests again with the SVS and see how they compare.

- Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 04-18-11 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 69 Old 04-19-11, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Well, I did some more reading about REW and think I've got it calibrated more correctly this time... I did a comparison with my Klipsch Sono before and after the 8033 EQ as well as the same with the SVS.

Here's what I came up with:

Klipsch Sono vs SVS PC12-NSD w/ NO EQ:

Klipsch Sono vs SVS PC12-NSD w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

Klipsch Sono before and after 8033:

SVS PC12-NSD before and after 8033:

Klipsch Sono Waterfall w/ NO EQ:

Klipsch Sono Waterfall w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

SVS PC-12 NSD Waterfall w/ NO EQ:

SVS PC-12 NSD Waterfall w/ Anti-Mode 8033 EQ:

I suppose my Klipsch Sono is doing pretty well and is a farily close match to my SVS.

- Jason

post #53 of 69 Old 04-19-11, 09:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

That's a very close match!

We're all in this together!

post #54 of 69 Old 04-22-11, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

After talking with Ed M. at SVS a bit, he recommended to close-mic the sub to get a little more information as well as find the final tuning frequency. It appears my guessing with the sub and the addition of making the port a 1/2" longer than required, I am tuned at 20hz. I'm not sure if I'll leave it or shorten the port to get my 22hz tune...

- Jason

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 04-22-11 at 11:56 PM.
post #55 of 69 Old 04-27-11, 07:57 AM
Senior Shackster
SGA

Is that grille cover interchangeable with the one used by SVS? I bought a used PC12+ a few months ago to complement my new PC12+. It was packed upside down and the grill was bent when it arrived. I can get a replacement from SVS for $25 but these are on sale from PE for $5.

Thanks,
sga2
post #56 of 69 Old 04-27-11, 08:06 AM
Senior Shackster
SGA

Look great! Are you gonna put a logo on that thing when it's done?

sga2
post #57 of 69 Old 04-27-11, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
sga2 wrote:
Is that grille cover interchangeable with the one used by SVS? I bought a used PC12+ a few months ago to complement my new PC12+. It was packed upside down and the grill was bent when it arrived. I can get a replacement from SVS for $25 but these are on sale from PE for $5.

Thanks,
sga2
Yes, it is an exact replacement.

Quote:
sga2 wrote:
Look great! Are you gonna put a logo on that thing when it's done?

sga2
Yes actually I have a Klipsch emblem from my dad's LaScalas that I'm putting on. I'm still waiting on a nice day to finish the base plate. I can't do this mid-west anymore.

- Jason

post #58 of 69 Old 04-28-11, 09:49 AM
Senior Shackster

JasonPCtech

My System

Won't be long now I will have the "LLT" badges molded. But I like the look of Klipsch pie anytime.
post #59 of 69 Old 06-19-11, 01:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Velti

Impressing how low response you get, very very nice.

I am a bit dissapointed from the Klipsch driver motor as i can see it now from your pics here, i didnt know it is so moderate, the "late 90s" magnet and short basket... cause am a former owner of RW-12d sub. It is so impressive what the guys from Klipsch accomplish with a driver like that, the output was amazingly deep and powerfull
post #60 of 69 Old 10-27-13, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
ProCast12's wrote: View Post
You def. Blew the coil. Its starting to unwind.. it will still play but will have a rattling noise.. try the other sub and you will see it should be fine... I've heard this problem in a pt of car audio subs... good luck. Hope this helps
Just wanted to update this. I finally, years later, just replaced the original driver in this sonosub. I didn't do it because of any issue, but I put some small dents in the metal dust cap when I was building it and bought a new driver directly after. I got tired of the spare, new driver, sitting around and decided I would replace and sell the old one. I didn't take the old one apart, but for years it had performed well and when I got it out, I played with the cone a little compressing the suspension and nothing. It felt perfectly normal and no noises. I think that something may had gotten into the magnet/cone/coil area during building but has since been dislodged.

Anyway, I don't know why I wanted to update this, but it worked/works awesome!

- Jason