Maelstrom-X Horn - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 113 Old 01-03-11, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
soho54 wrote:
The lack of extra bracing wouldn't allow that panel to move. That indicates the panels are not joined properly.

I see you used some small nails (brads?) but what adhesive did you use to bond the panels together? If it isn't holding there, you could have problems in the panels you do not see as well.

I also didn't realize you were going to place the p-glass across a baffle wall. You will need to add a few braces from wall to wall in the throat area where the p-glass is to hold the baffle in position there. I would then loose the weather striping across the baffle, and try plumbers putty. If the sub blows it out it will be easier to see. That gap seems to be ~1/4". If so, I would glue a spacer onto the baffle wall section there, to shrink the gap as well.
My uncle and I are going to brace the sub baffle quite a bit more tomorrow, and will seal it up completely with some heavy duty silicon. Hopefully that will solve the problem. It really only vibrates / moves around 40hz or so, if you play content below that, it doesn't really move at all. But I'm not playing anything more until the silicone is completely dry, and until it's braced very well.

Quote:
soho54 wrote:
Anything between 10-15Hz will do.
Alright, I had it set around 15hz anyways.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 12:07 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Mal-X horn folded?

Wow Dylan,

Very impressive beast you have there

Unless I missed something is this the first Mal-X folded horn?
post #23 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:
Wow Dylan,

Very impressive beast you have there

Unless I missed something is this the first Mal-X folded horn?
Thank you. I couldn't have done it without everyones help here ! They did all the hard work of making the horn and folding it, I did the simple task of building it

And if I'm not mistaken, I think this actually is the first "folded" horn for the Mal-X that I have seen.

I can't wait to let this thing rip. I've only taken it up to about half power and it was surprising me with all kinds of new sounds. Haha.
The sub 30hz bass is absolutely incredible. I had no idea I was missing out on so much with my old box. (I see some videos in the near future of The Bass Will Destroy You... :P )

How hard am I allowed to push the horn before damage is done to the driver? Would ~3/4th's power (from the EP2500) at like 20hz be too much ?

Build log:

post #24 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 10:41 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

Great news mate and can't wait to see the vids. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds and what low response you will have. Have you run some sinewaves through it with a spl meter to see what the levels are reading.

cheers

Graham
post #25 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 10:46 AM
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
I can't wait to let this thing rip.
Fasten your seatbelt - I thought my tapped horn was brutal the first time it started pushing the 120dB mark, and yours should be more capable than that one
post #26 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 10:50 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
And if I'm not mistaken, I think this actually is the first "folded" horn for the Mal-X that I have seen.
You are now a subwoofer pioneer, congrats to you and all that helped design it. What's next on this forum, a LMS Ultra folded horn?
post #27 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 11:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
How hard am I allowed to push the horn before damage is done to the driver? Would ~3/4th's power (from the EP2500) at like 20hz be too much ?
If you have all leaks fixed the sub can handle everything the EP2500 can dish out bridged, with a 13-15Hz HP.

Of course you should be in the mid-130s dB wise by then in room. For what it's worth walls start moving, and things should start walking around the room on their own before you get there as well.

post #28 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Oklahoma Wolf wrote:

Fasten your seatbelt - I thought my tapped horn was brutal the first time it started pushing the 120dB mark, and yours should be more capable than that one
Can I hook my Antimode's mic up to my computer and see some spl levels through REW?

Quote:
soho54 wrote:
If you have all leaks fixed the sub can handle everything the EP2500 can dish out bridged, with a 13-15Hz HP.

Of course you should be in the mid-130s dB wise by then in room. For what it's worth walls start moving, and things should start walking around the room on their own before you get there as well.
The air leaks should be completely fixed once the sub baffle is braced a little more, and sealed up with silicon.

I haven't heard 130+db yet...can't wait

Build log:

post #29 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:

You are now a subwoofer pioneer, congrats to you and all that helped design it. What's next on this forum, a LMS Ultra folded horn?
Thanks again . I wonder what a horn could do for a cheaper TC Sounds driver ? Maybe I'll get working on one for my dads garage sometime...

Build log:

post #30 of 113 Old 01-04-11, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Well I managed to get the horn outside to do some extra bracing around the sub baffle. I used a piece of 1/8" thick piece of aluminum to run up the baffle, and secured it to the side of the horn, and obviously to the sub baffle. For a little added support, I grabbed a few pieces of 1/2" thick wood, and cut them to fit into the part of the horn where the sub's cone is. We glued and nailed the piece right up against the sub baffle, and did the same in the mouth of the horn. That should keep the baffle from moving front to back. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'll try to get the horn back in my room to test it again. Hopefully, I'll get the corners rounded over, and the box painted by next Tuesday. It depends on how busy I am with school though.

I'll get some pictures of the bracing up sometime tomorrow.

Build log: