Maelstrom-X Horn - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 113 Old 03-20-11, 03:32 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: Maelstrom-X Horn

How does it compare to your other box. I would love to see some REW graphs off that horn.

Brilliant mate. Well done and what a journey but the results out way the pain.

cheers

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 113 Old 03-27-11, 07:27 PM
Shackster

Just read through the whole design thread and this one. subjunkie, would you say that you are happy with this setup? I have been looking for at designs for a while now. I like the size and apparent handling of this one. Can you recommend copying it? Thanks!
post #73 of 113 Old 03-27-11, 07:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Any chance of some REW plots?

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)

post #74 of 113 Old 03-28-11, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote:
How does it compare to your other box. I would love to see some REW graphs off that horn.

Brilliant mate. Well done and what a journey but the results out way the pain.

cheers

Graham
Graham,

This one is much better overall. I'm pretty sure my last box had some port compression happening with content playing at the tuning frequency, so that was taking away quite a bit of the LFE from it. So far the only "song" that is better on my old box is The Bass Will Destroy You. I haven't played that on the horn in a while though since I've sealed up some of the air leaks, so maybe it will be better now.

I, as well, would really like to see some REW graphs, but my parents won't let me spend any money on the equipment that I would need. Saving up for a car and college items instead.

And thanks for the kind words, Graham.

Quote:
swank wrote:
Just read through the whole design thread and this one. subjunkie, would you say that you are happy with this setup? I have been looking for at designs for a while now. I like the size and apparent handling of this one. Can you recommend copying it? Thanks!
I am very happy with this design. It was a vast improvement over my 7.6 cu.ft 14hz LLT, and it puts a smile on my face every time I really crank the volume. The only thing I would change in the design is getting rid of the plexiglass. While it looks great in the box, it had put me through some trouble dealing with rattling panels and some air leaks as well.
One thing the note, though...if you are using all the dimensions supplied by the Sketchup model, be careful and triple check everything before the final cuts are made. My uncle and I had almost fouled up the whole box, because I used external and internal dimensions from the sketchup model, and the wood thickness on it is only ~ .70" instead of .75". Luckily we always make the cuts slightly oversized before the final put-together, so it worked out perfectly for us.

Quote:
Drizt wrote:
Any chance of some REW plots?
And more than likely I won't be a able to post any unless I can use my Antimode and it's mic or my MIC2200 somehow ?

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #75 of 113 Old 03-28-11, 01:08 PM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
One thing the note, though...if you are using all the dimensions supplied by the Sketchup model, be careful and triple check everything before the final cuts are made.
I would love to use those dimensions, but I can't seem to find the revb file? When I click on the link it just goes to a blank page. The earlier links work. Do you happen to have that file still? If so, could you repost? Thanks!
post #76 of 113 Old 03-28-11, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
swank wrote:

I would love to use those dimensions, but I can't seem to find the revb file? When I click on the link it just goes to a blank page. The earlier links work. Do you happen to have that file still? If so, could you repost? Thanks!
Sure, I'll try to find the file on my computer when I'm done with school

Build log:

post #77 of 113 Old 04-03-11, 11:38 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
One thing the note, though...if you are using all the dimensions supplied by the Sketchup model, be careful and triple check everything before the final cuts are made. My uncle and I had almost fouled up the whole box, because I used external and internal dimensions from the sketchup model, and the wood thickness on it is only ~ .70" instead of .75". Luckily we always make the cuts slightly oversized before the final put-together, so it worked out perfectly for us.
The SketchUp model was made with 18mm material in mind, so when using anything else small adjustments need to be made to the exterior panels.

The plans are for the main horn only, and are very general. Whether you install the driver though the mouth, or install a door is up to the builder. Bracing will need to be added, and the type depends on the driver install choice.

The attached picture will show the generals areas you will want to install bracing in yellow. I assumed everyone was aware of the need for bracing the first time out here. If you are installing a door to allow driver entry, you can place another brace over the driver near the mouth as well.

Filling in the white areas would be beneficial as well. Foam, stuffing, sand, or whatever. The blue piece is optional.
Attached Thumbnails
Maelstrom-X Horn-noname1.jpg  

Attached Files Mael18b.zip (118.3 KB) 

Last edited by soho54; 04-03-11 at 11:48 AM.
post #78 of 113 Old 04-11-11, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
swank wrote:

Do you still need the Sketchup file ? Sorry for getting back to you weeks later. I've been really busy lately with school and racing, and haven't been able to check back here recently.

Build log:

post #79 of 113 Old 04-13-11, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Regarding the putty patch problem showing through the paint, it seems that just another coat of paint has covered the patches up, as far as I can tell. I'll finish painting it as soon as I can, and post up some pictures. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Build log:

post #80 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I got most of the box painted. Ran out of paint though. 7 cans of truck bed liner later, didn't even paint the back or the bottom, but put a really heavy coat on the front and sides. Turned out pretty good.

Build log: