Maelstrom-X Horn - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 03:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Maelstrom-X Horn

Looks good Dylan!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 03:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

I approve

I like how you can see the driver

Now buy a $30 radio shack SPL meter and run some REW sweeps ... no more excuses :P

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)
post #83 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 03:38 AM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Has anyone posted a modelled SPL plot for this design? What sort of output are we looking at here ?
Quote:
soho54 wrote: View Post
The SketchUp model was made with 18mm material in mind, so when using anything else small adjustments need to be made to the exterior panels.

The plans are for the main horn only, and are very general. Whether you install the driver though the mouth, or install a door is up to the builder. Bracing will need to be added, and the type depends on the driver install choice.

The attached picture will show the generals areas you will want to install bracing in yellow. I assumed everyone was aware of the need for bracing the first time out here. If you are installing a door to allow driver entry, you can place another brace over the driver near the mouth as well.

Filling in the white areas would be beneficial as well. Foam, stuffing, sand, or whatever. The blue piece is optional.

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)

post #84 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 03:40 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Drizt,

That would gives us some idea off what you can expect.

Come on Dylan buy the spl meter, get us those REW graphs. LOL.
It would have been good to see your last sub's graphs and compare them to the new Horn.

cheers

Graham
post #85 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Looks great! That's huge, but I bet sounds great.

post #86 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Thanks Mike and everyone. I'm going to try to get some more pics up in a little. Those didn't turn out too well I think.

Concerning the SPL meter, won't I need a sound card, and power adaptor for it ? I'm perfectly fine with spending $30 on a meter, but $100 plus for everything else is too much right now.

Build log:

post #87 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 11:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Thanks Mike and everyone. I'm going to try to get some more pics up in a little. Those didn't turn out too well I think.

Concerning the SPL meter, won't I need a sound card, and power adaptor for it ? I'm perfectly fine with spending $30 on a meter, but $100 plus for everything else is too much right now.
You just need a computer with a line input, a SPL meter (RS SPL meters work) and appropriate cables.. Don't need any power adapter.

post #88 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote:

You just need a computer with a line input, a SPL meter (RS SPL meters work) and appropriate cables.. Don't need any power adapter.
Oh ok. What do the line inputs look like? A 1/8" headphone jack, or are they RCA ?
I have a 1/8" input on my desktop computer that has a microphone next to it, is that what is needed ? Only problem is the desktop is in a room across the house lol

Build log:

post #89 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

For the Radio Shack DB meter, it's a female RCA jack... so you'd use a Male RCA -> 1/8th inch plug.

And for the soundcard calibration, you want a 1/8th to 1/8th male to male cable to do loopback calibration of the sound card.

Pretty sure it's 1/8th? Headphone jack sizes make me batty.

post #90 of 113 Old 04-20-11, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote:
For the Radio Shack DB meter, it's a female RCA jack... so you'd use a Male RCA -> 1/8th inch plug.

And for the soundcard calibration, you want a 1/8th to 1/8th male to male cable to do loopback calibration of the sound card.

Pretty sure it's 1/8th? Headphone jack sizes make me batty.
Ok , thanks.
I'm not really sure what that loopback calibration is, should I search Google with my soundcard info for that ?
And I think it is. It's either that, or the 3.5mm type that iPod and regular headphones use.

Build log: