Maelstrom-X Horn - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 113 Old 12-31-10, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Thanks to mdrake, soho54, Ricci, and many others for their help (couldn't have done it without you guys), I was able to build a folded horn. The external dimensions of the finished product are 55" tall, 44" wide, and 21" deep. If I remember correctly, the knee of the horn is around 19hz, and the cutoff is around 14hz.

I'm at my uncles house working on the box now. Got all the cuts done, going to piece together the box and see how it all lays out.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sub_junkie; 02-21-18 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 01-01-11, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

A few updates with pics this time.

Went to Lowe's and purchased 8 paint cans, 4 sheets of 3/4" mdf, tee nuts, and some weatherstripping. Came out to cost quite a bit...

Here we laid out all (or most) of the cuts that we had.

Showing the angle that we had to put on this rip.

Drawing up the cut-out for the driver, showing it cut out, and installing the tee nuts.

I'll have more stuff to post tomorrow once we get a little more progress on it. I have the plexiglass, and just have to trim it down to size to fit where I want it to.

Build log:

post #3 of 113 Old 01-01-11, 07:44 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: Mal-X horn folded?

Dylan,

Ah! pics at last. Really looking forward to this one and seeing some measurements.

Well done matey.

cheers

Graham

post #4 of 113 Old 01-01-11, 11:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Wow, that is a hardcore angle.

I guess it should have said you don't have to sweat the small stuff. You could have just cut one off square, and the other square at the point they first touched, but I am glad to see you are giving it 110% on accuracy.

On the plus side you now have a good adhesive surface. Just don't tell your uncle.

I am really impressed though. It seems like most people try to cut as many corners as possible with building. Glad to see that is not the case here.

The only thing I have to add is to remember not to skimp on the PL Premium on the interior panel joints. Internal leaks are very bad, as you can't get to them once finished.

post #5 of 113 Old 01-02-11, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote:
Dylan,

Ah! pics at last. Really looking forward to this one and seeing some measurements.

Well done matey.

cheers

Graham
More pics are coming up here shortly.
I can't wait to hear how this thing sounds.

Quote:
soho54 wrote:
Wow, that is a hardcore angle.

I guess it should have said you don't have to sweat the small stuff. You could have just cut one off square, and the other square at the point they first touched, but I am glad to see you are giving it 110% on accuracy.

On the plus side you now have a good adhesive surface. Just don't tell your uncle.

I am really impressed though. It seems like most people try to cut as many corners as possible with building. Glad to see that is not the case here.

The only thing I have to add is to remember not to skimp on the PL Premium on the interior panel joints. Internal leaks are very bad, as you can't get to them once finished.
We had to do some math equations once everything was done; the dimensions that I had figured were incorrect somehow, either typos, or I just completely messed up when I was "computing" some things. Oh well. At least we have everything figured out now. Luckily we cut the pieces about an 1" oversized until we got it all laid out for a final check on the fits of all the pieces. So, we did some final cutting on the pieces once we marked how it was supposed to by laid out.

And with me dropping about $200 in building materials, I am Definitely taking my time on this build. Were building it down to basically an 1/8"th of the drawing in Sketchup (as long as everything looks/fits right).

Were going to glue and nail the interior panels, and all the others also. Definitely don't want any air leaks, especially ones by the driver.

I'm uploading pics right now...should be posted in about 10 minutes. .

Thanks again for all the help guys. You don't know how much it's appreciated! .

Build log:

post #6 of 113 Old 01-02-11, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Here's all the pieces laid out on one side of the box:

Sketching out where the plexiglass will be going:

(forgot to get a picture of the final drawing of how the plexi is going to be placed) but here's the picture of it cut out:

Here's the plexiglass hole sunk in ~3/8"

Up-close view

Painting the mouth of the horn flat black

Close-up of the plexiglass hole painted with tee nuts installed.

Tomorrow we will be finishing laying the final layer of paint on everything (except for the outside of the box; we will do that once the light for the inside of the box arrives that way the paint around the plexiglass hole won't be disturbed at all), and then we will start assembly. We have two more cuts to make: just have to cut them down about an 1 1/2" to the final dimension for a perfect fit. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all put together and painted (don't worry; the exterior of this box WILL be completely painted once the light arrives...)

Thanks again for the help guys .

Build log:

post #7 of 113 Old 01-02-11, 01:42 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

Wicked mate. Cant wait to see the rest.

cheers

Graham
post #8 of 113 Old 01-02-11, 01:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Very cool. I am glad that you are actually building this thing. I don't know how many times people ask for help with a horn, then people put a lot of effort into coming up with something build able and then it is never built and tested. Kudos for going through with it. Looks like you are going to be building it quite well too. Can't wait to see the results.

Do you have something like a Behringer DCX2496? You will probably want to eq tis thing a bit and put a hpf on it to get it to perform its best.
post #9 of 113 Old 01-02-11, 01:54 PM
Senior Shackster

I forgot to add that you will want to fill in those empty spaces. It doesn't really matter how, foam, fiberglass, batting, old sheets, scrap wood, sand/straight up dirt, or any combination of them. You don't want to leave them open, and able to resonate, and suck out power.

post #10 of 113 Old 01-02-11, 02:55 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Wow, great job!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Matt

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."