An LLT with two AE IB15s? - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 58 Old 04-15-07, 09:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Re: An LLT with two AE IB15s?

Quote:
Exocer wrote: View Post
Not sure if this has already been covered...but have you checked the DIP switches? Is it possible that the either of the highpass options are enabled?
the switches need to be on for the highpass to be off

check this ......http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...html#post27426

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 Old 04-15-07, 09:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Yes, that is exactly why i ignore the on and off...and pay strict attention to where the DIP switches need to be...the on and off make things extremely confusing lol.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #43 of 58 Old 04-16-07, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Rodny's arrays were/are arranged in a very stiff box. Had they been built into a flexible wall (like mine) he would have lost transient ability, output and detail in the bass.

As the driver cones in an array move one way the wall always tries to move in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter whether the cones move in or out. If the wall flexes the opposite way then the drivers can no longer follow the electrical signal.

Opposed drivers in a manifold help to cancel out mechanical reaction forces. The wall is no longer the handicap that it might otherwise be. Most walls are incredibly stiff along the plane of the surface but inherently weak to pressure applied perpendicularly to the surface. A manifold uses the longitudinal strength of the wall rather than testing its ability to bow like an array does.

post #44 of 58 Old 04-16-07, 06:23 AM
Jerry

I believe the Rodny box was an add on once he decided that the whole attic was being insonified. I think he had his IB mounted in wall like you and I before the box was built.
post #45 of 58 Old 04-16-07, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

I can't believe how much bass I have now! The weight and quality are superb!

I've had to turn the EP2500 down to 20 (from 34 max) as well as reducing the active crossover gain by 6dB.

I hit a peak of 109dB on WOTW (machine rising) using the Galaxy on Max-Fast-C. There was only very slight cone movement visible for a couple of moments. I can easily see two of the drivers in the side of the 4 feet high manifold through my french windows. Plenty in reserve then if I choose to increase the gain again. It's the first time I've seen a full set of yellow lights on the BFD. (no sign of the clipping lights though)
post #46 of 58 Old 04-16-07, 07:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Quote:
htnut12 wrote: View Post
I believe the Rodny box was an add on once he decided that the whole attic was being insonified. I think he had his IB mounted in wall like you and I before the box was built.
YEP!!

My wall is only 52" tall everybody else is at least 8', this is one of the reasons my wall didn't flex, the other thing I have two 3/4" MDF 49x 32 screw to the back of the wall, the front has two 1/2" pieces, total of 2" 1/2, most everybody else used a piece off wood 3/4" thick and 16" or 18" wide and I have one 2x4 from the wall to the 2x6 of the roof.

htnut12 is right!!.. the box was build after I decided to go with the SLLT.

An LLT with two AE IB15s?-ht-040.jpg

An LLT with two AE IB15s?-ht-043.jpg

An LLT with two AE IB15s?-ht-044.jpg

An LLT with two AE IB15s?-ib-panel-042.jpg

After..........
An LLT with two AE IB15s?-img_3540.jpg

post #47 of 58 Old 04-16-07, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

A good solid job before and after, Rodny.

My new IB manifold is big enough to sit in but I can't find anybody brave enough to take a photo!
post #48 of 58 Old 04-18-07, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

My new manifold is full of surprises. Not least the incredible output power compared to the old array.

What surprised me most is the BFD suddenly showing a full set of light bars. I used to see perhaps two bars with the array if I was very lucky.

Now I'm seeing the BFD lights right up to the red clipping bars. (but red only on rare occasions)

Does this indication of clipping hold any terrors for the EP2500 or the drivers themselves?

Any thoughts on the best way to reduce input to the EP2500? I can use the active crossover to quickly reduce the gain by as much as -6dB in emergencies.

Or I can turn back the attenuator knobs on the EP2500. Is this a preferred way to limit input to the power amp?

The active crossover is within easy arm's reach which is handy when the house is close to collapse.

I have to open the door to get at the power amp's controls which isn't always easy while simultaneously donning an industrial safety helmet, goggles and approved ear defenders.
post #49 of 58 Old 04-18-07, 06:18 AM
Jerry

Pro amp gain controls do not cut the input.
post #50 of 58 Old 04-18-07, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Quote:
htnut12 wrote: View Post
Pro amp gain controls do not cut the input.
That's not what I was told!

Go on then... what do they do?