Dual RL-P18 LLT for my 2000 cu ft HT soon - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 183 Old 05-19-07, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser
Re: Dual RL-P18 LLT for my 2000 cu ft HT soon

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
4000 watts. Do you have that much power available in wall receptacles?

brucek
Well, 220V * 15A fuse (I have checked) = 3300 W /line from the wall... Is a power factor required to be applied?

EDIT: I have rechecked the electrical pannel and found that the smallest fuse is 15A while any A/C fuse is 32 A....I think this is more than enough!!

Blaser

Last edited by Blaser; 05-19-07 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 183 Old 05-20-07, 07:59 PM
erikhtb
Inactive

I would look at the Crown Xti4000 for a grand. High quality 2x 1200w @ 4ohms would be perfect for that I would think. Just like anything you get what you pay for.
post #33 of 183 Old 05-26-07, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Thank you guys! I am about to order the subs in 2 or 3 days And I have now contacted the box maker to discuss the production steps. We agreed on everything exept the wood type

While I told him MDF will work fine, he informed me few things about polywood (ply-wood):
- Polywood is lighter (front baffle will be made of 3 layers!!), much stronger, cleaner, takes less painting...as he claimed! Also twice as expensive (but don't mind that).

He told me that if I need MDF due to sound issues, so be it (as he doesn't know), but as far as strength, box quality.... weight.... he strongly advises me to use 18 mm polywood (imported from Indonesia).

I need your opinions please to order the enclosures wood.

By the way, the boxes will be CNCed as well as flairs!! No problem And by the way we have agreed that the boxes should be a piece of art!!

Last edited by Blaser; 05-26-07 at 05:45 PM.

post #34 of 183 Old 05-26-07, 06:48 PM
Senior Shackster
Paul

Since no one seems to be addressing the stuffing, I'll jump in and provide my two cents.

There is more than one reason to stuff.

The most common reason is to alter the Q of the cabinet. I don't think you're going to need that for this enclosure, as you seem to be letting the cabinet be the size it needs to be. Another reason is to catch & kill high frequencies that might want to escape via the port. Fiberglass is supposed to be one of the better materials for stuffing, but I hate working with it. I prefer polyfill, as it is supposed to be as good as fiberglass and is a lot easier to wok with. I get mine at W*lmart. For a large enclosure such as this you might get "Batting", basically polyfill that will attach nicely to the walls of the cabinet.

One thing to think about with bracing (other than the obvious, strength) using the bracing to discourage standing waves. In a large cabinet such as this you might consider putting your braces assymetrically located, using wider (1"x4" or 1"x6") braces and puting them at angles to the sides of the cabinet.

Paul
post #35 of 183 Old 05-26-07, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Quote:
aceinc wrote: View Post
The most common reason is to alter the Q of the cabinet. I don't think you're going to need that for this enclosure, as you seem to be letting the cabinet be the size it needs to be. Another reason is to catch & kill high frequencies that might want to escape via the port. Fiberglass is supposed to be one of the better materials for stuffing, but I hate working with it. I prefer polyfill, as it is supposed to be as good as fiberglass and is a lot easier to wok with. I get mine at W*lmart. For a large enclosure such as this you might get "Batting", basically polyfill that will attach nicely to the walls of the cabinet.

One thing to think about with bracing (other than the obvious, strength) using the bracing to discourage standing waves. In a large cabinet such as this you might consider putting your braces assymetrically located, using wider (1"x4" or 1"x6") braces and puting them at angles to the sides of the cabinet.

Paul
Thank you Paul!! I will brace for sure!! As well as use either available insulation material

Any thoughts about wood material?
post #36 of 183 Old 05-26-07, 08:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Paul

Discussing wood material can start a religous war and don't even start about glues.

My opinion, for what it is worth is I like MDF. If you want to get wild and crazy and you are using double thickness for things like the baffle, use a layer of good plywood laminated to a layer of MDF on the outside. This among other things will give your screws something to bite into.

If you want to deaden the cabinet really well without spending big bucks buy some 1/4" "HardiBacker" and 30# felt (commonly called Tar Paper). Put one layer of 3/4" MDF two layers of 30# felt and 1 layer of HardiBacker together and screw liberally. This will couple additional mass, a second material with different resonances and add damping to the cabinet. It shouldn't cost much but will add a fair amount of work to the endeavour.
post #37 of 183 Old 05-31-07, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

I ordered the RL-p18 s 2 days ago, and the amp yesterday!!

I should receive them within 10 days. I am already fed-up of....But, when they come it will be a big

I think my last decision is two boxes around 625L each, 14.5 Hz tine with an 8" flared port for practical considerations.

You can expect my impressions and probably some measurments within 2 weeks

Cheers!

Last edited by Blaser; 06-01-07 at 07:27 AM.
post #38 of 183 Old 06-01-07, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Update: Mike confirmed that the drivers were shipped Thank you Mike for being so prompt in shipping the units as soon as money transfer was performed I should receive them around June 11th...

For the sake of telling bye bye to my old sub., I performed some listening tests (max SPL at listening position) with music today...

My sub is a Jamo X8 sub, 200W RMS with limiter, 12", (visually) Xmax does not seem to be more than 9mm (maybe even less), 2*3" ports around 40. I blocked a port to lower the tune to be around 34 Hz.

So, I put some good dynamic music (50 cent, Sean Paul, Depeche mode...) and amazingly it could hit 117 db digital RS uncorrected with most of the materials in my 1800 '3 room at listening position (4m) :raped: It seems that I had quite underestimated this sub.. Sound depth was good enough for music, everything was shaking....but I must admit that I never felt the WOTW effects most peoples speak about

Comparing the above with the upgrade that should be performed soon (10 times more power, 2 drivers, 18", competely different Xmax....) and guess about the results

Can't wait

Edit: I made some more tests and the 117 db was mainly (by ear) between 30-40 Hz (axial room mode), although I have the sub equalized, the room offers lots of headroom at these frequencies.
At higher frequencies where I have dips( above 65Hz) it could only hit 110 db(uncorrected)....Still Great, but I will have some bass traps in the future

Last edited by Blaser; 06-02-07 at 04:32 AM. Reason: More accuracy concerning the SPL readings
post #39 of 183 Old 06-01-07, 04:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Paul

In case anyone was wondering what the I was prattling on about in an earlier post;

Batting is used in both Quilting, and upholstery. Here is a link to an e-bay sale on some 1-1/4" batting;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Upholstery-Bonde...QQcmdZViewItem

or a more permanent link;

http://storesonline.com/site/490194/...B-CC-1219-ROLL

The advantage of batting is that it can be glued to the walls of the cabinet easily with spray adhesive, and won't bunch up or be pushed around by the air the driver moves.

My suggestion on the bracing is if you are going to brace in the middle of the cabinet with 1"x4" or similar instead of placing the braces parallel to the walls of the cabinet put them at an angle. See the top down view drawing attached. When bracing make the braces a hair bigger than the cabinert width/height so that when you dry fit them they will stay by themselves, but not so big as to distort the walls of the cabinet.
Attachments
post #40 of 183 Old 06-01-07, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Yes, I needed these clarifications!

Thanks Paul!