IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz) - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #41 of 79 Old 09-06-11, 09:57 AM

Re: IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)

Nice work Gregg. I built a similar size sub with the 18.2.2 last year and have been pleased with the result. The only problem I have is finding time when the family is not home to really crank it up. I can't imagine 4 of them. I'm in the Winnipeg area too. Looking forward to the finish of your build.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 Old 09-06-11, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well I fininshed painting the subs on Monday, lacquer is a wonderful finish to work with, 3 coats of high satin black and sanding with 1000 grit in between coats, 2 coats of high satin clear and buff with a Bounty paper towel, all done in less than 6 hours.
I would rate my finish as a 7 out of 10, I had never sprayed solvent based lacquer before, only water borne lacquer and I found it to be quite a bit different. All in all I am happy with the finish. The cabinets will remain in the garage for the next couple of days to dissapate the smell before I bring them in the house. With any luck the EP4000's will be here by the weekend and I can fire the subs up.

I am looking forward to firing them up, my wife, family and friends think I am nuts for building 4 subs that size, I am starting to think that also.

Gregg
Attached Thumbnails
IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)-subslq-001.jpg  

post #43 of 79 Old 09-06-11, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
rademac wrote: View Post
Nice work Gregg. I built a similar size sub with the 18.2.2 last year and have been pleased with the result. The only problem I have is finding time when the family is not home to really crank it up. I can't imagine 4 of them. I'm in the Winnipeg area too. Looking forward to the finish of your build.
Chris
Chris

When I am complete you are welcome to come by and check them out.

Gregg

post #44 of 79 Old 09-06-11, 09:17 PM
Senior Shackster
mrogowski

Quote:
GPHammer wrote: View Post
Well I fininshed painting the subs on Monday, lacquer is a wonderful finish to work with, 3 coats of high satin black and sanding with 1000 grit in between coats, 2 coats of high satin clear and buff with a Bounty paper towel, all done in less than 6 hours.
I would rate my finish as a 7 out of 10, I had never sprayed solvent based lacquer before, only water borne lacquer and I found it to be quite a bit different. All in all I am happy with the finish. The cabinets will remain in the garage for the next couple of days to dissapate the smell before I bring them in the house. With any luck the EP4000's will be here by the weekend and I can fire the subs up.

I am looking forward to firing them up, my wife, family and friends think I am nuts for building 4 subs that size, I am starting to think that also.

Gregg
Tell them they got off lucky - you were planning on six
post #45 of 79 Old 09-07-11, 12:16 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Gregg,

The tension is mounting fast my friend. I can't wait until you get them fired to up get your impressions.

Really nice finish though.

cheers

Graham
post #46 of 79 Old 09-08-11, 08:24 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
GPHammer wrote: View Post
my wife, family and friends think I am nuts for building 4 subs that size
I don't think there are many people that would contradict them (and the few who would are just as crazy!) but at the same time, we're all drooling over the capabilities of what you have there. And good for you for having the patience to go through so much sanding and priming, that's an easy step to hurry through and not pay proper attention to in anticipation to get the finish on and done. Looking forward to your impressions of the final product!

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #47 of 79 Old 09-08-11, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I have 3 of the subs complete and one still in the garage. These things are incredibly heavy and almost killed me bringing them in the house, that is the problem being stubborn.

Now that they are in the house I realize my wife, family and friends were correct, I am nuts, I knew the subs were big but now that they are in the house they look huge.

I am still waiting on the EP4000's, I ordered them locally because it was $150.00 cheaper than going through Parts Express but at least with PE my orders always arrive in a couple of days, I should have stayed with PE.
At this point I am ready to shake the house.

Gregg
Attached Thumbnails
IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)-subsinhouse-001.jpg  

IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)-subsinhouse-002.jpg  

IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)-subsinhouse-003.jpg  

IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)-subsinhouse-004.jpg  

post #48 of 79 Old 09-09-11, 12:26 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

They look georgous mate. Stunning and I can't wait to hear your impressions. Great work.
post #49 of 79 Old 09-09-11, 12:46 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

They might be big and heavy but you're in for a real treat!

We're all in this together!

post #50 of 79 Old 09-09-11, 01:32 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

You could easily fit 6-8 in that room.