sonosub planning phase - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Send a message via AIM to yourgrandma
Sub Icon sonosub planning phase

Since the new theater will be quite a bit bigger than the last and the rsw10 was inadequite for even that, its time for a build. Budget being tight as usual, im close to settled on the Titanic 15" in a sonotube with an ep4000 for enough power for future abition. However, i could be convinced to look at other drivers if the price/performance quotiant is right.

The room is 17x19 and im looking to tune pretty low, say 13hz or so. Size isnt a rpoblem but construction cost and effort is. Is a single titanic 15 going to be my best bet or should i consider beefier 18s? I figure worst case i could build another 15 down the line but where id put it is a mystery. I would like to put most of the ep4000s power to good use...

Just to make it a challenge, im not looking to spend over a grand including EQ. Sock it to me guys!

Onkyo 805 | Definitive Technology ProTower 400s | ProCenterC2 | BP2x | ProMonitor 100s | Dayton RF 12 HO slot ported thingy | Optoma HD70 | Play Station 3 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 04:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Re: sonosub planning phase

Instead of a single sub, why not do a pair of Dayton RSS390HF-4, both driven off the channels of a single amp.

It should displace a bit more air (especially factoring in inevitable vent compression) while having much smoother in-room frequency response than a single subwoofer, with less change in performance from seat to seat.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-468

400L + 8" x 43" sonotube vent should give you a nice low tune if 14hz, with low group delay, an anechoic F3 at 20hz and F6 at 14hz. You'll be so far away from any hint of vent compression, and the vent resonance will be nice and high at 157hz and should not be excited.

350L internal + 7" x 37.5" vent can work extremely well for the RSS390 too, although such a port might be difficult to source. A pair of 5" x 40" vents will work really nicely as an alternative with this box size.
post #3 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Thats a lot to think about. You suggest two cheaper subs right off the bat rather than one more expensive unit with the possibility of adding more. It seems the multisub concept is gaining acceptance. I had always heard there would be phas issues and the like. I do still have the reference 10" as well. Would you say its better then to build two seperate enclosures than to have a single box, saw in the form of a coffee table? Im not in front a computer to play with winisd, but im just trying to get a feel for what i can do.

If it makes any difference there will be some music listening with this setup as well as HT use.

thanks for the brain food. Ill be sure to play around with some different configs tonight.

Onkyo 805 | Definitive Technology ProTower 400s | ProCenterC2 | BP2x | ProMonitor 100s | Dayton RF 12 HO slot ported thingy | Optoma HD70 | Play Station 3 |

post #4 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 04:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Quote:
yourgrandma wrote: View Post
Thats a lot to think about. You suggest two cheaper subs right off the bat rather than one more expensive unit with the possibility of adding more.
You can always add more

Quote:
I had always heard there would be phas issues and the like.
At these wavelengths all you need to do is play around with time delay / phase until the subs sync up. One thing to realize is that in a room, a sub is a minimum phase system. Dr Toole discussed this in his book, Sound Reproduction. You really want to excite as much of the room as possible so that there is uniform excitation.

Quote:
I do still have the reference 10" as well.
that might be a good idea to use as the third sub in a Dr. Geddes style multi-sub setup. It'll be run at a low relative amplitude level and very close to you, but it'll improve your response

Quote:
Would you say its better then to build two seperate enclosures than to have a single box, saw in the form of a coffee table?
A dualdriver single approach will have slightly more output but the dual sub separate box will have significantly better in-room frequency response.

And of course a vented sub will dig deeper than a sealed sub in the bottom octaves.

I think dual separate subs is the way to go.

If you want a world beater driver, Mach V has just released a Pi-18 sub with shorting rings. But i don't think it would fit inside your budget. If the budget is 1k, I would want at least two subs for the price paid.
post #5 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Ill have to take a refresher on rew and bfd, etc but how does one equalize three subs? As one complete system, correct? Also, how does one get signal to all of them with one output from the receiver? Im not a big fan of two splitters for lfe. Also, the time correction might be a challenge with the two passive subs, but the rsw10 has 0-180* phase adjustment.

ill definately compare the predicted responces of the titanic vs the ref series to see if it might be worth the exrea cash. The second sub will be considerably cheaper than the first.

post #6 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Im messing with winisd with limited success. I have incomplete parameters for both drivers and as far as port sizes and even visualizing box sizes, Im just not experiences enough to know exactly what im looking at/for.

From what I do see, the reference seems to be smoother from 15-40hz. It takes a lot of volume to get the titanic to have a nice smooth curve in tht range.

post #7 of 47 Old 09-13-11, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Of all the drivers Im trying to model, that Dayton reference is showing the smoothest response. This is interesting. I dont know how to check excursion and whatnot yet though, so im only getting one part of the equation. I also know that theres a lot more to sound quality than a FR plot on a program.

Id also like to see what people think of 18s versus 15s. Im looking at Fi car audios HQ15 and HQ18. I know they both push the budget, but they look like some sweet drivers.

Also, both the sonosub program and win sd have some crazy port length notions. I havent fully read up on both programs yet, but I find it odd that if I enter a 400L volume, 8" vent and a 14hz tune, Sonosub tells me that port would have to be nearly 12ft long. Winisd gives me even crazier figures.

Last edited by yourgrandma; 09-13-11 at 09:57 PM.
post #8 of 47 Old 09-14-11, 02:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

You can check excursion along with other parameters with the drop-down menus along the top of the window.

As I recall, the HF did better in lesser volumes than the Titanic. It is not slouch in sound quality according to reports of others as it has shorting rings, etc When on sale, it's a good bargain for sure (wish I had them).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #9 of 47 Old 09-14-11, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Sounds like a solid recomendation then. Ive yet to price (or find for that matter) the tube. Depending on when i start the build i may do just one for starters.

post #10 of 47 Old 09-14-11, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Randy

Im also seeing that these drivers dont handle a lot of power. An EP4000 looks to me massive overkill even for two of them. I think ill still buy one anyway for future-proofing purposes.

Thanks for the info folks. Its leading me to research other stuff I hadnt thought of and looks to save me some money.

Hopefully I can get a build going if I can ever get anywhere on the actual http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...esh-start.html