Changing my mind - now want to build TC2000 LLT - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 27 Old 06-14-07, 04:06 PM
Mattk11
Inactive

Changing my mind - now want to build TC2000 LLT

I originally was going to build two subs with Soundsplinter 18's but I am having trouble with box sizes.

I am really limited to size due to clearance behind my screen wall.

I have been doing some reading on this forum and others and see that the 15" TC2000 driver is well suited for LLT design.

I want the best sounding sub I can build with a ~16Hz tune. I figured out that my max box size can be as large as 16" deep (this dimension is fixed and will have a double wall of MDF on the front baffle) x up to 40" wide X up to 40" tall (height is dictated by the fact I want to stack two). These are outside dimensions. This would give me plenty of clearance behind my screen. I have read a couple build threads that suggest box size of 320-350 liters.

Subs will be used 100% for Home Theater. I will build two boxes, both will be powered by a Crown CE4000 wired to 2800w at 4 ohms mono and equalized by an SMS-1.

Please tell me the ideal internal size and ideal port size and length for a ~16 Hz tune.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by Mattk11; 06-14-07 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-14-07, 08:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

Re: Changing my mind - now want to build TC2000 LLT

320 liters tuned to 14.5Hz is what most people are building for TC2000 LLT's. Thats 11.3 cubic feet (net)with a 6" port. Straight Length Port requireds a 27.68" and Flare Length Port required 28.68". Port length calculated with Precision Sound Products Port Length Calculator.

http://www.psp-inc.com/

Last edited by Jerm357; 06-14-07 at 08:49 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-14-07, 09:19 PM
Mattk11
Inactive

Thanks for the link. That is pretty cool, but does it take the driver into account or does it not matter?

TC Sounds suggested to me an 8 cu ft box with 3 - 4 inch ports each 35" long to tune to 16.5Hz. I am curious why they suggest something so different that is typically done here. Everything on here is so big with larger ports. I read the LLT explanation but I am not sure of the difference that TC suggested and the larger box you are suggesting.

I am not sure if I want to tune it all the way down to 14 Hz, I don't think I can hear below 17 anyway.

Thanks
Matt

post #4 of 27 Old 06-14-07, 11:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Brian

the threshold for hearing is nothing below 20 Hz. But, that is not to say that it doesnt matter, sub 20 sound does a whole lot of awesome shaking.
Going with a larger box gives the sub more room to get to lower tunings, if you dont want to tune that low you can go with a smaller box.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-15-07, 12:15 AM
Mattk11
Inactive

I'm following you on the box size, that is why I want to tune to 16-17 Hz, Don't know if I need to go down to 12 or 14.

Being brand new at this, I just don't know how to do it. I have read everything I could find in relation to these drivers, but just can't find exactly the tune I am looking for. That is why I turned here, you guys know what you are doing.

Thanks
post #6 of 27 Old 06-15-07, 12:06 PM
Senior Shackster
Brian

Changing port length is what changes tune at a given box size. Here is the graph of what your subs response will look like at what jerm suggested and what tc suggested. You can see that you really dont gain much by going with a smaller box and higher tune. It is simply a case of if you want a box that big or smaller, that is really the only advantage of the tc design, smaller box. If you cannot fit the big box behind your screen then go with the 8 cu ft design, otherwise go with the big box.
Port length on bigger box = 29.87 in
Port length on smaller box = 32.66 in
post #7 of 27 Old 06-15-07, 12:14 PM
Mattk11
Inactive

Bonehead (I feel bad calling you that), thanks for the cool graphs. I am now thinking 290L (10.25 ft^3)tuned to 16 Hz. Does that graph well and what size port would it require? Thanks
post #8 of 27 Old 06-15-07, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Brian

that graphs right between the other two and looks good, port without any flares should be 24.53 inches at 6 inch diameter
post #9 of 27 Old 06-15-07, 01:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

If you want to tune to 16hz, a 260 effective liter enclosure would work fine. A little larger would be even better, but 260 would cut it. TC's recommendation comes out to ~226 liters, and that's too small in my opinion, you choke the low end too much.

Three 4" diameter ports would provide you with more port area than a single 6", but managaing three long ports with plenty of clearance at each opening becomes very difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-15-07, 02:12 PM
Mattk11
Inactive

Steve, thanks for chiming in. I'm just a little confused by your suggetion on a little larger than 260L. I can go a little larger, so what do you recommend for the 16Hz tune. Need interior box size and port size and lenght. You are the guru for these LLT designs so I am very interested in hearing what you suggest.

As you suggest, I would rather do one port than three since it will definitely be easier.

Thanks