Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 03-24-12, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.

Hey Folks,

A new living room config and general lifestyle requirements have led me to build a super small sub (pair). My 7 cu. ft. sub and large towers don't fit in the new arrangement. I'm building this pair of subs as "bass bins" and to serve as stands for my Klipsch RB-15 bookshelf speakers in a (TBD) 3.1 configuration. I'm not super thrilled about losing the RF-82 setup but at least now I get to sit closer to the TV

Anyway, here's the details:

Driver: Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" subwoofer driver
Specs (according to PE): Xmax = 11.5mm Re = 3.6 Ohm Fs = 35 Hz Qms = 2.65 Qes = 0.47 Qts = 0.40 Power handling = 50W rms / 100W max

As of 03/2012 price at PE = $54 ea.

Enclosure: Approx 0.35 cu. ft. (9.8 L) vented enclosure tuned to appx 36 Hz

External dimensions: 13.5" H x 12" D x 8" W

I chose the driver because of the low(ish) cost, high Xmax for the size, and because it works in a very small enclosure with very low power. If I had more space and a big power budget, I'd have chosen a 10" high excursion driver with a mini-DSP for a linkwitz transform. This is supposed to be a very budget system so the 10" HE was out.

Port length was a bit of a challenge in terms of length and air velocity. I find this to be the biggest shortcoming to the vast majority of small commercial subs out there. They want to extend the tuning frequency low but can't afford a large port (and associated length) so they end up with subs that chuff severely at the upper limits of their SPL. I ended up with a slot port 0.75" tall x 7" wide x 30" long. This should give air velocity below 20 m/s at 100W power.

I had thought about doing the folded horn build for the Anarchy (and this) driver but it still didn't fit my size envelope. That one is about 3 times larger I believe. Another thing about this build is that I don't need big SPL capability. Not that I had huge SPL output before with my 7 cu. ft. Dayton HF 15, but my current situation with a toddler and a living room setup prevents me from getting past -25 dB on my receiver.

Simulations and build to follow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-24-12, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Re: Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.

OK, here are the WinISD simulations. 100dB at 40Hz ain't too bad. And amp power is very low. I want to power these with a chip amp. I like to think of it as green HT

post #3 of 23 Old 03-24-12, 01:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

How much power is applied in the SPL graph?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-25-12, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
How much power is applied in the SPL graph?

I've got 100W. To be honest, I'm using the SA driver params instead of the SIF but I didn't see any appreciable differences. Also, I realize the RMS power rating on this driver is below 100W but I don't play 100W RMS signals, just dynamic signals...

All the graphs are under the same 100W, which looks more like 70 in the apparent load. Let me know if I'm messing something up!
post #5 of 23 Old 03-25-12, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

OK, here is the initial concept "on a napkin". Things changed a bit (height and width) but the image illustrates the concept.

I did draw it out in more detail before I got started cutting wood. I'll upload the detailed plans when I get a good photo. I went kinda old school with this design, all on paper.

Here is my initial layout of cut wood to see how the slot port will fit...

Now the glue.... I first constructed the inner wall of the port by gluing and nailing with finish nails. Then I did the same after inserting the inner slot port wall. I also caulked the seams. Not many clamps because of all the finish nails I used. (I'll be filling in the nail depressions with bondo. I also cut boards long to do a flush cut with the router afterward)

post #6 of 23 Old 03-26-12, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Ok, I wasn't sure how to seal up the last panel seeing how I wouldn't be able to caulk all the seams from the inside once installed. I had this 3M strip calk laying around so I applied it to all edges, installed panel, clamped and nailed. This stuff will definitely seal an air gap but it was a poor choice because it is so sticky and never gets hard. The squeezed out stuff was difficult to clean up. It also doesn't create a bond. It ended up working out ok but I'd do it differently next time.

The last photo shows the box with driver cutout and about 80% ready to finish...
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-rope-caulk-install.jpg  

Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-full-clamp-up.jpg  

Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-full-assemble-before-finish.jpg  

post #7 of 23 Old 03-27-12, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Got the box finished. I went with a roll-on truck bed liner from the auto parts store. Not impressed. The rubber particles come on in a very inconsistent fashion. It took a couple coats for me to get a finish that I wasn't mortified with. The other problem was that the finish was way too shiny. I ended up covering it in a couple coats of black lacquer spray. that helped quite a bit. The final result it presentable and inconspicuous. Take a look...yeah, I decided to go with the port on top
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-finished-sub-alone.jpg  

Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-binding-post.jpg  

Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-base-bin-1.jpg  

Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-bass-bin-1a.jpg  

post #8 of 23 Old 03-27-12, 09:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Very nice build, after all!

Tom
post #9 of 23 Old 03-27-12, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Plans and cut list

Thanks Tom! I was beginning to think I was talking (writing) to myself.

Here are the plans and cut list, if they're legible.

Panels are numbered to correspond with the cut list.

I changed overall height to 13.5" by adjusting all heights accordingly. The design will work just fine as presented. Cut list shows dimensions I used.

Also, I didn't do the 45 chamfers. I cut straight on all boards, oversize where appropriate, and used a flush cut router bit to get things straight.

Another note: there is an extra section of slot port that is not numbered and wasn't used! You will notice which piece I'm referring to if you look at the build photos. I was experimenting with getting a lower tune and decided not to go for it as it didn't do much due to the reduced enclosure volume.

Feel free to ask me questions if you have them.

Use at your own risk!
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-plans.jpg  

Mini-Me 6.5" TB W6-1139SIF in 0.35 cu. ft.-cut-list.jpg  

post #10 of 23 Old 03-28-12, 06:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The cabinet looks fine to me. The big question now is how does it sound?

We're all in this together!