Decided: sonosub, Help! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 54 Old 08-12-07, 08:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: Decided: sonosub, Help!

No highpass needed.....or wanted for that matter.

What I find almost hillarious is that box in the background - real subs don't fit inside boxes like that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 08-12-07, 09:05 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
Hey steve, I read somewhwere that diy subs need a subsonic filter or high pass filter. Is this something I need to worry about with my low tune?(14.5)
At 660 watts 4 ohm...... no way. Your low tune is working for you not against you. I just noticed another post you made over at another Forum (past subs) and it gives me insight to why you might be concerned. Your tune and the power behind that tune go hand in hand. Since your working with a 15" high excursion driver, you have much more leeway/headroom to work with than what a 12" can offer. In the 40-60 Hz material, the higher tuned sub wont be to far behind because of your lower tune, but the lower the material, the more your design will pull ahead. Maybe think of your sub as two of the lowest tune cylinder offerings.

Nice pic, looking really good! So how long did this project take?
post #33 of 54 Old 08-12-07, 09:12 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
What I find almost hillarious is that box in the background - real subs don't fit inside boxes like that
Box!! Don't tempt me Steve

post #34 of 54 Old 08-12-07, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
No highpass needed.....or wanted for that matter.

I was wondering if anyone noticed.

post #35 of 54 Old 08-12-07, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

Quote:
steve nn wrote: View Post
At 660 watts 4 ohm...... no way. Your low tune is working for you not against you. I just noticed another post you made over at another Forum (past subs) and it gives me insight to why you might be concerned. Your tune and the power behind that tune go hand in hand. Since your working with a 15" high excursion driver, you have much more leeway/headroom to work with than what a 12" can offer. In the 40-60 Hz material, the higher tuned sub wont be to far behind because of your lower tune, but the lower the material, the more your design will pull ahead. Maybe think of your sub as two of the lowest tune cylinder offerings.

Nice pic, looking really good! So how long did this project take?
I'll actually have 1950 watts bridge mono or 975 per channel 2ohm stereo. should I not feed it that much? I can't find power handling specs on that speaker.

Thanks for the kind words, Its been five days since I began tinkering but I did most of it yesterday w/ the help of my friend (the guy in the previous pic.).

Last edited by lvisneau; 08-12-07 at 10:22 PM.
post #36 of 54 Old 08-13-07, 06:03 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
I'll actually have 1950 watts bridge mono or 975 per channel 2ohm stereo. should I not feed it that much? I can't find power handling specs on that speaker.
See if you can get br Steve C to sim it for you? Actually I'm sure he has and would know. I would think your putting a little to much it's way. Why not try 640 at 4 ohm and see what you think? If I remember correctly, Ilkka was able to bottom the TC LLT in the 30 Hz range with close to a couple K flowing?
post #37 of 54 Old 08-13-07, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

Quote:
steve nn wrote: View Post
See if you can get br Steve C to sim it for you? Actually I'm sure he has and would know. I would think your putting a little to much it's way. Why not try 640 at 4 ohm and see what you think? If I remember correctly, Ilkka was able to bottom the TC LLT in the 30 Hz range with close to a couple K flowing?
So try the 640 and if thats not enough then bridge it? or open it back up and go 2 ohm 975?

Hey steve c, would you mind simulating this?
post #38 of 54 Old 08-13-07, 09:15 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
So try the 640 and if that's not enough then bridge it?
640 will be enough, but you could most likely double it for a couple more dB or so. I think you'll find at 640 it'll impress though. Sometimes 2 ohm can be kind of harsh I hear, although I have never tried it. I'll send Steve a mail and wake him up!
post #39 of 54 Old 08-13-07, 09:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Ilkka actually didn't bottom the driver, he clipped the amp. 2000 watts should be fine, go for bridged.

post #40 of 54 Old 08-13-07, 10:17 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
he clipped the amp
I thought he wasn't totally sure?.. bottom or clip? I guess he figured it out then. Yuh think the SDX can handle 2000? Maybe I'll put 2000 to it when I put it in the sealed enclosure temporarily and see how it does before I change back to LLT. Thanks for chimmeing in Steve.