Decided: sonosub, Help! - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 54 Old 08-14-07, 05:41 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD
Re: Decided: sonosub, Help!

Quote:
steve nn wrote: View Post
I thought he wasn't totally sure?.. bottom or clip? I guess he figured it out then. Yuh think the SDX can handle 2000? Maybe I'll put 2000 to it when I put it in the sealed enclosure temporarily and see how it does before I change back to LLT. Thanks for chimmeing in Steve.

Yeah, I just found a post in the big testing thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...3-post179.html

Quote:
Well actually we did bottom out the LLT while taking the compression sweeps... That happened around 30 Hz and 113 dB level (RMS).

edit: Further research showed that it didn't bottom. It was the amp that clipped.
And I don't see why the SDX couldn't easily handle that 2000W amp, so I'd agree with Steve.

Last edited by WillyD; 08-14-07 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 Old 08-14-07, 06:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Ilkka actually didn't bottom the driver, he clipped the amp. 2000 watts should be fine, go for bridged.
Yes that is correct. Initially I thought that I had bottomed it, but after some research, I found out that it wasn't the case. The amp clipped instead and there was also some so-called soft bottoming, meaning the upper surround was reaching its maximum excursion, which occurs as some extra noise from the driver. Though the sound isn't nearly as bad as when a true hard bottoming happens (VC hits the back plate).

And I agree with Steve's recommendation - go for bridged.
post #43 of 54 Old 08-14-07, 08:34 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
And I don't see why the SDX couldn't easily handle that 2000W amp, so I'd agree with Steve.
I know I've seen it stated, but it's more than I'm used to using. Thinking about it though (Tum replacement) I guess it makes sense.

post #44 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

The speaker came and is installed, Just need a speakon connection and cable. I should be up and running soon.
post #45 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

Ok, I hooked it all up.................... this is so real! I didn't think my 2 subs could be outdone so well. 1rst test was pulse (you know the scene). 121 dbs at 1m. 3/4 volume on the crown, 70 on the onkyo,and -0 sub vol. no eq. hulk chapter 23 and smokin aces chapter 14, man my wife is gonna kill me. when we watch a scary movie she already sceams. whew! all this for less than half of the hsu. As soon as i can figure this stupid bfd out I'll dial it in and graph it. Oh, my friend john (the guy in the pic) did the seam, and helped with the rest of the build. I already pulled the svs and hsu out of the room. will be selling the hsu soon.

A big thanks to SteveCallas for the design and help along the way. and thanks to steve nn for all your help also.

complete and in it's new home. (notice any other subs?)
post #46 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 04:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
lvisneau wrote: View Post
Ok, I hooked it all up.................... this is real! I didn't think my 2 subs could be outdone so well.
Congrats on your new "baby". It looks really good. And welcome to the _real_ subwoofers club.
post #47 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
Congrats on your new "baby". It looks really good. And welcome to the _real_ subwoofers club.
Thanks Ilka, that means alot coming from you.
post #48 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 09:58 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

That really looks good sitting in the corner. Great job and am very glad your so happy with what you built with your own hands. Thank you for the kind words, I learned something myself regarding the SDX.
Quote:
this is so real! I didn't think my 2 subs could be outdone so well.
It's one thing to know, it's another matter to really know what you know Congrats!
post #49 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 10:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Glad you like it Those other subs just have too many constraints to be able to effectively compete at this level. In all seriousness, due to their popularity, you could probably find buyers for them and have more than enough to build a second LLT if you so desired.

Now let's talk about those wall-mounted bookshelf mains.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #50 of 54 Old 08-15-07, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
leon

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Glad you like it Those other subs just have too many constraints to be able to effectively compete at this level. In all seriousness, due to their popularity, you could probably find buyers for them and have more than enough to build a second LLT if you so desired.

Now let's talk about those wall-mounted bookshelf mains.....
Yeah, they're polk rti6's and work quite well. for the price I paid they couldn't be beat at the time. they go well w/ the lsic center and the fxi5 srrounds.Oh and I don't see a need (yet) for any more than what I just built, my ears are still ringing.