Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 55 Old 10-22-12, 01:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System
Re: Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer

Where're the finished pics of this bad boy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 Old 10-22-12, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Unfortunately, my busy life hasn't allowed me to finish the veneer/grill.

The wife is starting to get cranky with the unfinished state and is turning up the pressure to complete, so maybe soon.
post #23 of 55 Old 10-22-12, 08:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

This is the first time I've seen a manufacturers sealed sub converted to the same manufacturers ported sub. You've done well!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 55 Old 01-31-14, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Well over a year later and a 2nd child added to the household, I have some progress to report on the finishing of this project.

I created the grill from MDF and Parts-Express black speaker cloth. My plan to use the Neodymium magnets to hold the grill in place is a FAIL. I drilled a small recess to hold the magnets in both the grill cover frame and body of the subwoofer, dropped the magnets in the hole sitting in a pool of glue, then wood filled a small layer over the top of each magnet. When all is said and done, there isn't enough magnetic force to prevent the grill from shearing down the face of the subwoofer. No big deal, I'll simply buy standard ball/socket type grill mounts to ensure the cover stays in place. Perhaps if I used 8 pairs of magnets rather than 4, it would have been sufficient.

I also ordered a BASH 500S last week when went on sale at Parts-Express to add a little extra overhead above the 300W that came with the subwoofer. Plan is to modify the resistors for bass boost tomorrow. I am also planning to do a final sanding of the box this weekend prior to attach of maple paper backed veneer I've purchased. I'll attach the veneer via contact cement.

Also as Epik Subwoofer announced they are going out of business, they've published the T/S parameters of the Valor driver because they're selling off remaining stock. I am now able to simulate in WinISD the actual performance of this specific driver in my enclosure which I wasn't able to do before.

Attached is the basic before and after sim, before being the stock Valor sealed configuration and my new ported enclosure with 500W BASH amp. This gives a basic visual of the extra output I've gained by the project.
Attached Thumbnails
Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-valor-vs-diy-ported-valor.jpg  

post #25 of 55 Old 02-01-14, 06:30 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

That's a big difference in output. I'll guess you modeled the 20.7 hi pass filter from the 1 db boost table on the Bash 500.

post #26 of 55 Old 02-01-14, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
That's a big difference in output. I'll guess you modeled the 20.7 hi pass filter from the 1 db boost table on the Bash 500.
I'm actually planning and modeled the 19.1 Hz HPF with 4dB Bass boost from the BASH boost tables.

The original 300W amp from Epik had a similar 20 Hz HPF with 5dB boost.
post #27 of 55 Old 02-01-14, 06:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Cone excursion isn't an issue?

post #28 of 55 Old 02-01-14, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Here's a SPL comparo to show impact of sealed -> ported enclosure impact as well as BASH 500 upgrade.

Yellow = Epik Valor (Sealed)
Red = DIY Ported Enclosure with Epik 300W
Magenta = DIY Ported Enclosure with BASH 500s

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-valor-vs-diy-ported-valor-2.jpg

Here's is the equivalent cone excursion graph which indicates no probs.

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-valor-cone-excursion-comparo.jpg

With the BASH 500 my port velocity maxes out at 28 m/s which is a little higher than I'd wanted, but it occurs around 18-19 Hz so I expect I'll be fine. I'll likely not be running the thing anywhere near max output often.
post #29 of 55 Old 02-01-14, 07:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looks good, you definitely did your homework.

post #30 of 55 Old 02-08-14, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

I modified the BASH amp HPF/Boost resistors last weekend as planned.

Got a late start today so only managed to cut the 4 veneer panels to size (top, sides, face) and attach the top via contact cement.

Here's a pic:

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-img_0705.jpg

Also one with the grill shown:

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-img_0711.jpg

Tomorrow I've got a kiddie party to attend so this weekend may be done for subwoofer progress ...the saga continues.